Canada - Abuse allegations in Newfoundland casting a cloud over Jehovah's Witnesses

by OrphanCrow 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Picard confirmed the older accused is no longer a church elder, and that the church is co-operating with the investigation.

Well, Well well... If the elder has been removed there must substance to the allegation. In view of the "two witness rule" he most likely has confessed , but if is still a dub then he was "repentant" ....If they are co-operating ,have they turned the record of the J C over to the Police? Are the committee members going to testify to what was said at the meeting?

If so it would be a first ...

• truthseekeriam
    truthseekeriam

Totally agree Flipper. How dare a victims father go to bat for the religion over his child!! We're all human" seriously!! Just blows me away how completely clueless these people are.

• cha ching
    cha ching

Thx Orphan for the story, & E-G for the link!

Very true Flipper. No one EVER heard about child abuse.. EVERY one ALWAYS heard about "adultery / fornication!!!!"

Priorities, where are they???

• Dagney
    Dagney

Thank you for posting. Sad there is even another one. But happy it made the news and there is more attention.

Wonder if they have an RC like in Australia?

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    BluesBrother: ....If they are co-operating ,have they turned the record of the J C over to the Police? Are the committee members going to testify to what was said at the meeting?

Well, the Canadian elders might be in hot water quite quickly for not reporting. Not only that, but the net sweeps wider here than in Australia.

In Canada, mandatory reporting applies to everybody, with professionals being held to a higher standard. But, regardless, everyone must report suspected abuse allegations. In Australia, where the JWs did not report, they are using the differing mandatory reporting laws from each province as an excuse, but they will not be able to do that in Canada. Under Canadian law, anybody - which would include ALL congregation members, elders or not - in the JW congregations who are aware of suspected child abuse, and didn't report it, could be held accountable.

From http://cwrp.ca/faqs

Do I need to report child abuse and neglect?
    Yes. Everyone has a duty to report child abuse and neglect under Canadian child welfare laws. Professionals who work with children and youth have an added responsibility to report.
    You are obliged to report child maltreatment if you know or suspect it is occurring. This is called the 'duty to report'. Every person in Canada has the duty to report known or suspected child maltreatment by law.
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    Dagney: Wonder if they have an RC like in Australia?

The possibility is here. Canada has the same legal framework as Australia and has held many Royal Commissions in the past.

If the noise is loud enough, the Canadian government may be persuaded that an inquiry is appropriate.

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

I just googled 'Jehovha's Witnesses' and sure enough...

"Abuse Allegations in Newfoundland Casting a Coud Over Jehovah's Witnesses".

Don't you just love the Internet! Of course you won't find this article on jw.org.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    JWgonebad: Of course you won't find this article on...jw...org

Nope...but you will find it on my facebook feed - public post, too. I hope my old friends and family look for me at times. You know, snooping around like they like to do once in a while.

• macys
    macys

This is so tragic. How many young ones must lose their lives for this cult?

I remember when I was a naive active JDub when something bad would happen, it was always, "think about JEHOAVHS NAME" and they would do EVERYTHING and I mean EVERYTHING to hide the fact that it was a JDub especially when he was an elder or pioneer. For example in my old hall, the 30 something year old son of the PO got a 14 year old girl prego. The son broke down and confessed this to his father who was kind of the "King elder" if you know what I mean. Every hall has one. Well they covered it up all they could. The family of the girl was told to not report this to the authorities because "think about Jehobahs name!" So at school she told everyone her boyfriend was 16 and he ran away and they made up this big story. A complete lie! WTF? Seriously! So it is OK to lie when it is Jehobah's name? F*ck that! Either you are honest all the time, which I would expect a "HOLY GOD" to want or you are not. I am sure that Jehobah does not care about his holy "name" that much if he did not bother to make sure his servants would know how to F*CKING PRONOUNCE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FTW the creepy son of the elder never got officially DFd cause they said he had "learning disabilities." WTF so that is the free pass card? I am going to try that sometime! Hey Brother A** Hole, I am really sorry about f*cking your son but hey, I have ADHD! Let a sister live a little!

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Breathe deeply, Macy.

Breathe deep.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit