Shunned at Jury Duty

by benext 12 Replies latest jw friends

• benext
    benext

I was called for Jury Duty recently. I remember the days when the Witnesses avoided this because of not wanting to "judge" people until "New Light" made it OK to render this due to Caesar.

I noticed a sister from my old cong. area. I never knew her, but everytime she saw me she would have a big smile and greet me warmly.

As I'm headed in her direction, she is smiling somewhat and nods a hello, so I say to her: "Oh, they got you too?" At this point her face freezes and she lifts her hand in a wave off gesture so I keep walking. Later as we're getting our attendance papers she has to walk past where I'm sitting. She walked by like she was headed to a firing squad. Eyes straight ahead in the "keep your eyes on the prize" style.

What do you think? Maybe she's DF and knows she shouldn't speak to me? I'm still in "good standing" just a spiritually weak, inactive publisher. What kind of encouragement is that for me? Now I'm stumbled!

• Dansk
    Dansk
    As I'm headed in her direction, she is smiling somewhat and nods a hello, so I say to her: "Oh, they got you too?" At this point her face freezes and she lifts her hand in a wave off gesture so I keep walking.

I hope this isn't a murder trial? If you find the accused not guilty she's likely to scream "Guilty as hell!"

Dansk

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    she lifts her hand in a wave off gesture

Good grief. Can we say "high and mighty"???

I can't say I'd be so nice. I could see myself getting obstinate and demanding an answer as to WHY she was there. Haha!

• ChakkaConned
    ChakkaConned

Who knows whats on her mind and why she behaved like this?! I hope she is disfellowshipped and this might excuse her "wave off". But, if she did it to shoo you away from her holy presence now that you're inactive and bad association, oh the arrogance

As far as I know, jury duty for JW's is a no no. Perhaps she felt uneasy about her being there and you "catching" her.

CC

• hillary_step
    hillary_step
    What do you think?

Guilty.

HS

• integ
    integ

From what I understand, New light has made it acceptable to do jury duty it is a matter of conscience now. Just like voting. (wt 11/1/99 ?'s from readers). I brought up the voting thing to my jw cousin and he high and mightily said "Where did you hear that??" I said it's in the watchtower....apparently it's a matter of conscience now. I think he was excited that now he could do something he's always wanted to do, like have an opinion and be able to express himself in the voting booth....Although the article does'nt give carte blanche in this regard....It talks about it like being a conscience matter in places where feelings are high against those that don't vote. It just shows that the jw's will do whatever they are told by the fds without question, and most look for little loopholes in order to live as normal life as possible.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Jury duty for JW's is a conscience matter. I was part of a jury pool for a murder case here in Minnesota while I was still a JW. But the prosecution dismissed me, maybe in part due to the fact that I disclosed my religious affiliation. (The defense team wants as strangely-composed a jury as possible so that there is the possibility that one person won't go with the crowd and will vote for an acquittal. The man in this case was as guilty as sin...and was using a "I was high on drugs" defense.)

This sister seemed ambivalent about how to act towards you. She tried the old "half smile" and hoped you'd just keep going, as you are "spiritually weak" in their eyes. But when you pursued it further, you violated her precious "comfort zone". Apparently, benext, you are the victim of some sort of gossip in her congregation.

• benext
    benext

Thank you all for your insights. There certainly has been much gossip concerning me but being I don't know this sister other than hello and goodbye it's strange that she acted that way. For those who are unaware Jury Duty is very much acceptable. Bethelites have been called and have served on cases. In NY they pay $40 a day and they can walk to the courthouse.

• Xandria
    Xandria

Wow, just goes to show how long I've been out. Back in the day Jury Duty was a big NO,No. I have not kept up with all the new light either.

X.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Xandria, I too remember that Jury duty was an absolute NO NO.

Just goes to show, again, how things, change and change and change and change---

oops, sorry there, I was on a roll It is hard to keep up with; those rules and regulations that come down from the heavens through the WTS. NOT

No wonder no one inside really knows where they stand. How confusing. How stupid.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit