The memorial beauty pageant

by BlackWolf 28 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    Since the memorial is coming up soon and its about time for me to go shopping for a new memorial ( aka easter) dress, I've realized what the memorial really is for us teenage girls, a beauty pageant! The memorial is the day I spend painting my nails, curling my hair, and carefully applying makeup because my mother says I have to "represent Jehovah" and look my best. In reality its just to impress the newcomers and to compete with the other girls. Have any of you ever experienced this? I don't understand why jws make a such a big deal about appearances, isn't Jehovah supposed to care about what's on the inside? :)
  • Spiral
    Spiral

When I was growing up it was never a big deal, but now it seems to be a fashion show. Which is soooo contrary to what the "Memorial" is supposed to be about it's laughable.

I'd suggest black nail polish to bridge the gap.

• smiddy
    smiddy

BlackWolf , that just about sums it up for all Convention appearances as well doesn`t it ?

It all comes down to a fashion parade among all the chicks to see if they can impress all the horny young guys , and vice/versa .

The event has nothing to do with the spiritual aspects of the meeting ,it`s just an avenue to put yourself out their for all to see as you parade yourself around the grounds

Hey don`t get me wrong , the guys are just the same , Conventions are like a meat market , a calf sale ,what`s available , and does he/she meet with my , or my parents approval as a suitable mate.?

smiddy

• zeb
    zeb

don't forget to marinate yourself in perfume too.

" a calf sale" ... cute.

• Heartsafire
    Heartsafire

Oh yes Black Wolf, I remember those days crystal clear. I was always the one who pushed the limit on my dresses. Skirts above the knees *gasp*.

Some of the worst are middle aged sisters who are trying to prove they still "got it" by showing up in a second hand store prom dress. Oh what these eyes have seen. Wish I could wash them out with soap:-P

TBH the sisters looking like frumpy Amish are no better. I'm tempted to show up in a pantsuit this year. Maybe in a skinny suit!

• BlackWolf
    BlackWolf
    Lol! I'll try the black nail polish and see if anybody notices ;) Dressing up is by far the most interesting part of the memorial, otherwise its just the same dreary ritual very year.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

We had a sister, years ago, that told us her husband "did not allow her to buy a new dress. That would be too much like following the Easter traditions and copying the world."

He may have been right. It is kinda like the JW Easter. The disturbing thing is her husband "told her". My husband would be wearing a frying pan over his head. lol

• naazira
    naazira
    Yes, so true, especially about the middle aged sisters with their super high heels and above the knee skirts.
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I remember when I was a kid, all the girls at school would talk about their new "Easter shoes and coat", my mom used to buy me the same but I noticed that they were purchased so they could be worn at the memorial, like all the other little girls my age in the congregation.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I've got myself a new pair of pants, I haven't decided if I'm going to wear them yet

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit