Jehovah's Witnesses - People of Integrity

by Saved_JW 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

When I think of Integrity, a lot of positive connotations come to mind. I think of individuals grounded in principles, who do not operate on opinions that change based on the breeze of political or social change. A life that is directed by a code of morality, not on capricious emotions.

People of integrity are the best types of leaders, marriage mates, employees and members of our society.

It comes as no surprise that the word Integrity is vastly used in the Watchtower society as one of the most important traits an individual can have with their dedication to Jehovah.

After being out of the Watchtower for the better part of 6 years now, I have had some time to reflect on this important issue of integrity and really ask myself: Are Jehovah's Witnesses people of integrity? and if so, to what? This is what I hope to answer.

Keeping in step with the Organization

I remember quite clearly sitting in the hospital room with my JW friends and family after my grandfather had a stroke a few years ago. One of the few opportunities I had to actually be able to talk to them. I sat in the corner of the waiting room listening to the conversations like a shamed fly on the wall. I had the distinct impression that the goal of those seemingly natural conversations about the Watchtower, were intentional and purposeful in an effort to stir me into coming back to the organization.

In one such conversation, I couldn't help but laugh on the inside. My uncle began to talk about the appointment of the new governing body members. he commented on how young they were, and he never thought he would see the day when he would be the same age as a governing body member [he being a former bethelite himself] The direction of his conversation was meant to convey urgency, as if big changes equates to big events in the near future.

The conversations continued on, some talk about the direction of the Watchtower, and yet others speaking about the loyalty of the newly appointed governing body members. I couldn't help but notice in the 1/2 hour discussion, not one mention about Jesus or Jehovah. Their hope for the future, their dedication was squarely placed in the direction of the Watchtower Society.

After the conversations simmered down and my family funneled out of the waiting room, my father just sat there reading a magazine from the table. I sat next to him and talked to him about some of the issues I had with the Watchtower. These issues were placed squarely on doctrinal issues that contradict the bible. I showed him right from the bible the problems with the 144,000 doctrine, and having a two class salvation cannot work scripturally. Either you are saved or you aren't. Either you have Jesus as your mediator, or something else must take Jesus place. [See Romans 8; Revelation 19]

He looked in wonder as I showed him from Revelation 19 that the "Great Crowd" was actually In heaven. I responded to him by saying. "So you see the reason why I cannot return to the Watchtower. It isn't because im bitter with God, it isn't because I have a grudge. I cannot return as a matter of integrity. I cannot in good conscience claim to be a Jehovah's Witness, when the very doctrines they promote contradict scripture. Even worse, they [the Governing Body] replace the role of Jesus as mediator in the life of the believer."

My dad recognizing the clear contradiction in scripture to the Watchtower sat there completely puzzled. Which isn't something that I am used to. He is a congregation secretary, he always had the right answers, a very smart and quick witted man. His reply to me was one of the most impactful yet revealing things that exposed much of the Jehovah's Witness mentality.

He said " you know, the most important thing that we can do right now is recognize that the Governing Body will never lead us astray, they have our best interests at heart. that's why its important for all of us to keep in step with Gods organization."

Loyalty to who?

My dad's unscripted heartfelt reply is not unlike what most JW's will say when confronted with a dilemma of this magnitude. Yet at the same time, his reply revealed a huge amount of information as to the true source of his loyalty.

you see, at the end of the day, when presented with clear biblical evidence of a contradiction from Watchtower policy to Biblical doctrine. His knee jerk reaction WAS NOT to set aside his Watchtower bias, but instead, set aside altogether the bible in leau of trust in the Watchtower.

His comment "The Watchtower has our best interests at heart" revealed to me that all information, all judgment calls are filtered through that one emotional presupposition. Namely, that the Watchtower cares. As long as the Watchtower cares about him, they will always do what is right, even when they are wrong, they will still correct themselves. In his mind, Jehovah will look past even the most blatant unbiblical doctrines that he is following, because the most important thing is that he is loyal to the Organization.

Are Jehovah's Witnesses people of Integrity?

the short answer to this is YES. Jehovah's Witnesses are some of the most loyal people around. But that really depends on the OBJECT of your loyalty. Their loyalty at the end of the day is grounded not on scripture, but instead the Watchtower society who interprets scripture for them.

What this means is, on the surface , Jehovah's Witnesses will think they are loyal to Jehovah and to the bible, but practically and functionally are actually loyal to the Organization. If a Watchtower doctrine contradicts scripture, they will always side with the Watchtowers interpretation, they will put trust that "Jehovah will correct things in time" or "we are to keep in step with Gods organization" these are all sayings that reveal the true source of integrity. Willing to compromise the truth of scripture for the doctrines of man. What this also means is that their principles are not grounded in any code that is absolute and timeless, they are grounded in a code that constantly changes based on cultural changes dictated by the Watchtower. The Watchtower of today is vastly different then the Watchtower of 1980, so on and so forth.

When Jehovah's Witnesses dedicate their lives to "Jehovah" they are in reality dedicating themselves to an Organization knowing that todays truth is tomorrows lie and heresy. They are completely willing to dedicate themselves to a code of change that they know nothing about in the future. Completely willing to submit to the direction of an Organization, simply because "they have our best interests at heart"

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Are Jehovah's Witnesses people of Integrity? The short answer to this is YES. Jehovah's Witnesses are some of the most loyal people around.

No. Loyalty and integrity are not synonymous.

You began with this:

I think of individuals grounded in principles, who do not operate on opinions that change based on the breeze of political or social change. A life that is directed by a code of morality, not on capricious emotions.

By those standards alone JWs fail the test of integrity BECAUSE they are blindly obedient (what you call "loyalty") to the GB.

• never a jw
    never a jw
    Good opening piece, but as noted by Oubliette, the main premise is flawed. JW's lose their integrity in order to stay loyal.
  • Saved_JW
    Saved_JW

Integrity: the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.

Loyalty: the quality of being loyal to someone or something.

I used these two terms purposefully, Jehovah's Witnesses are people of strong moral conviction. [Morality defined by the Watchtower] principled only in the sense that those codes conform to Watchtower principles.

In a way, I am trying to use a play on words to appeal to the JW reader in a hope that they will see the difference between Loyalty to the Watchtower and Loyalty to God. Secondly, people of integrity to the Watchtower or people of integrity to Scripture. I want to show them that contrast.

I agree to the differences to those terms. no argument with me

• Simon
    Simon

By that reasoning every cult member has integrity because of their loyalty to their leadership. The more loyal they are (usually blindly) then the more integrity they have ?

Scientologists have more integrity than the JWs ...

Heavens Gate followers had more integrity than Scientologists ...

Blind loyalty to a leadership shows a complete lack of integrity. Integrity is standing up for principles no matter who you have to stand against. JWs simply don't do that when the society is involved - they think it can do no wrong even when it clearly violates the ideals it claims to promote. They have no integrity.

Their morals are "don't lie" but they defend the WTS lies because of loyalty and many worse examples that cause cognitive dissonance and internal conflict if they do have integrity.

A JW with integrity is destined to become an apostate.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Thinking about your father's comment about then having your best interests at heart, I was reminded of something another poster here said when talking about JWs trusting the org. They believe that the org is truthful because they are truthful and they assume that the org that (they think) taught them to be truthful would be. That goes for this too, I think. Your father cares about people and he's bought into the indoctrination that all his good personality traits are because of the org so he assumes the thing that taught him to care must also care about him.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

It is possible to lose your integrity and remain loyal to something or someone.

I think many JWS have failed personal integrities.

• cappytan
    cappytan

Many JWs I know have a measure of integrity.

The organization on the other hand is heartless and has no integrity.

Remember: apostates love individual JWs....we just hate the Watchtower brand.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Hitler's SS were integrity keepers too. Nice to be in good company.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I think of a person of Integrity as someone who is scrupulously honest.

Jehovah's Witnesses as an Organization are extremely dishonest. Most individual JW's are dishonest too, at least in some measure.

The readiness with which they drop old beliefs and take on new does not bespeak integrity either.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit