Can Elders Voluntarily Resign?

by NotFormer 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

An elder with half a brain (and they must exist 🧐) is going to see the writing on the wall with the way the WT is manoeuvring them into taking the fall over CSA cases. Can an elder in good standing step down with no consequences, official or social?

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

How to Resign as an Elder or MS in Jehovah's Witnesses

https://youtu.be/SXB17wHC9iI?si=iGF7YmtaEljIYz_U

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

An elder should just become totally inept,,useless and unreliable

Go irregular in FS for a few months,,,then into inactive.

Then see how long he remains an elder.😏

There,,no resignation necessary.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I resigned .. I used phrases like burn out , depression loss of spirituality etc.. During the last few months I had been playing up a little so they should not have been too surprised. They wanted me to stay on a bit but ……

It was wonderful to feel free !

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

How were you treated by the congregation?

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

I resigned similar to BluesBrother's comment, which I truly was ... but the exElders club, is a real funny one. You end up sort of a nobody. This is because for years the only people that were really your friends in the congregation, were the other Elders. And when you step down, they move on (to busy really to give you much attention) while the general publishers that you know, are quite distant socially.

Yeh ... being a exElder is a bit strange, but our numbers are growing.

• dozy
    dozy

Yes - they can resign -I just said I had a few issues and needed to spend more time with my family. Some of the other elders tried to get me to change my mind but by then I was absolutely PIMO and knew it wasn't the truth.

no-zombie is correct - almost overnight my status had changed from someone always involved in the meetings , giving talks at assemblies etc to zero - I wasn't even doing microphones! Our social circle changed - suddenly the occasional meals or drinks with other elders stopped and the rest of the cong viewed me with some detachment. I remember sitting in an incredibly boring meeting hearing the GB being venerated and wondering what on earth I was still doing there. That was my last meeting (other than a Memorial as my wife was still attending.)

• was a new boy
    was a new boy
    no-zombie
    they move on (to busy really to give you much attention) while the general publishers that you know, are quite distant socially.
    dozy
    he rest of the cong viewed me with some detachment.

guessing kinda like Zelensky at a party

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

That picture says a lot doesn't it?

If you're single,,,without any privileges or under "reproof"",,you would feel just like Zalensky.

Aweful.

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

I resigned. I just wrote a note saying that of this (certain date), "I Happydad no longer wish to be an elder." Then handed it to the PO. They tried to discourage me from doing it, but there was no way I would continue as an elder after seeing what actually went on. That was about 1990 or 91. Can't even remember any longer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit