Another Galling WT Study

by Nicholaus Kopernicus 25 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Nicholaus Kopernicus
    Nicholaus Kopernicus

January 2016 Watchtower (Study Edition)

Be Determined to “Let Your Brotherly Love Continue”!

This article was easy to read. Lot's of good counsel from the scriptures cited. However, in the context of my experience of the WTBTS/IBSA here in Britain, it was remote from my experience. I sailed on until it came to paragraph 18.

18. How can we strengthen our brotherly love for our elders? 18 “Remember those who are taking the lead.” (Read Hebrews 13:7, 17.) When we think about the hard work that our elders do for us—all without financial reward—our brotherly love and feelings of appreciation for them are strengthened. Never would we want them to lose their joy or to sigh because of something we do. Rather, by our obedience and submission, we “give them extraordinary consideration in love because of their work.”—1 Thess. 5:13.

For me, this paragraph engendered considerable pique. I accept that in my congregation the BoE do "hard work" and "without financial reward". However, their efforts do not engender the "brotherly love and feelings of appreciation" which the authors of this article hope for. Rather, my local BoE's behavoural profile is kindred to that of the Saudi Muttawa. They have - on more than a few occasions - exempted themselves from the counsel of 1 Thess 4:11 (lead a quiet life and mind your own business) and 1 Peter 4:15 (don't be a busybody in other peoples' affairs). So much so that several (including seniors) have experienced a range of emotions from outrage to distress. That this particular BoE feel enabled to arrogate such a role reveals (among other things) the environment in which their minds are exposed to (hardly one which exemplifies the mind of Christ). Two members of my local BoE are especially problematic.

One is the CBoE. He treats the congregation as his own personal property and play thing, and reacts with apoplexy to any perceived divergent viewpoint or perceived challenge. A very insecure individual who is also quite insitutionalised. He makes copious use of the "Organisation" book and his "Shepherding the Flock" book, and minimal use of scripture. He proscribes males from any platform assignments if they are not wearing a suit He ensures that any brothers naive enough to want to reach out understand that in doing so, they must please him and therefore become followers of men. They will wait for a painfully long time before gaining their appointment!

The other of the two is a sociopath (formerly referred to as psychopath). This is not a pejorative but seriously and carefully chosen vocabulary. He is "a cold fish" as one senior social worker said of a risky client several years ago. That is, lacking in feeling for others, lacking in empathy, fails to learn from experience and thus repeats mal-experiences. In a manner of speaking he is socially handicapped, and any compassion I had for him quickly evaporates when I learn of the hurt and tears of others in the wake of this brute's invasiveness. His behavioural profile goes back to the formative years of his adolescence. His brother is a charming fellow who is innocuous and widely liked. This psychopath's behavioural profile in the congregation is such that I have had to give advice to several (sisters) in how to cope with him. The advice is as follows from (Psych Central) ....

• Be on your guard at all times. Know what you can and cannot expect from the sociopath.
    • Avoid going to this person for emotional support or advice. Being vulnerable in this way opens you up to being hurt.
    • Imagine a boundary between yourself and the sociopath. Form a picture of it in your mind. Build a wall that you can see in your imagination that protects you. Everything the sociopath says or that is hurtful bounces off this imaginary wall.
    • Don’t make excuses for the sociopath. Instead, hold him accountable for his actions. The stronger and more direct you are, the less the sociopath will try to take advantage of you.

However, getting back to the Watchtower study. I made up my mind that I just could not sit there and listen to this. So just before the paragraph was read, I vacated the auditorium and went outside. Just couldn't bear to hear the reading or the sycophantic responses.

There were additional difficulties for me at this Watchtower study however. The concluding song was so objectionable. The song states among other things....
    • "Our meetings refresh us and brighten our hope" (Not my experience I'm afraid)
    • "Wholesome instruction from God fearing men" (No - not that either)
    • "Our meetings instuct us in ways that are right" (Nope!)

In any case, I feel uncomfortable singing a song which extolls WT meetings or meetings of any kind. So during the concluding song, I just put my songbook away in my bag and stood there silent. Some noticed. But I'm past caring anymore!

I've noticed the gradual changes which I see in myself in response to the growing ingress of the GBoJW into the congregations. I am repelled and no longer regard myself as a Jehovah's Witness. I continue to strive to be a Christian.

Winston Churchill put it rather well when he wrote...."Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." It is perhas the end of the beginning of my being solely mentally out of this organisation. My stepping out during a paragraph and abstention from a song is perhaps, the beginning of another type of egress!

• cha ching
    cha ching
    Well said, NK, if you do not support sociopathic behavior, they will not have the power.... and who wants their life ruled by egotistical people?
  • Divergent
    Divergent
    The counsel given is for the sheep to obey & submit to the elders & to give them extrodinary consideration. What about the other way around? Shouldn't there also be counsel for the elders to treat the sheep with extrodinary love, kindness, & care?? There is always an imbalance in counsel given. The sheep get counselled but the elders are spared from counsel. No wonder the elders are always such a pain to deal with!
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So let me get this straight, if we (the flock) do as we are told, we make them (the elders) happy and not sad....?

So that is twisted reasoning. It is sort of like putting the blame on a victim. Oh"they made me mad" so I acted in a wrong way.....

• label licker
    label licker

And if I was to go along with the elders in Elmira, On congregation, I would have been an accessory to letting a guy who was just reinstated after approx fifteen years disfellowshipping

while still smoking be allowed to get drunk and smash his wife's lincoln in by hand, he threatened to blow off his wife's face with a loaded hand gun (His father told us that one), had his high school employee forge his wife's name on a legal document, threatened to shoot and kill his father and fooled around on his wife. Yes, that certainly is showing brotherly affection for our elders, isn't it???

All in the name of JW.Org while hiding behind god.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Brotherly Love".. The verse is the yeartext for 2016, written on the wall of the KHall.

Will it permeate the cong? I doubt it. NB. It is not the r & f bros. they are o k , I agree with Nicolaus that in my experience of several cons, it is the elders that are lacking.

Like the O/P, I can never sing the songs..they stick in my throat . Singing those hypocritical words would be like singing the North Korean national anthem, only worse!

I too, stand there mute. The speakers must see, but say nothing to me.

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

This is pretty easy to dodge, in my opinion. The key would be standing your ground and not getting angry or appearing rebellious. The Elders are really powerless and many of them know it. Many don't want to be hatchet men, they just go with the flow of the BOE. This is my suggestion as to dealing with the A-hole Eldubs:

A-Hole: "Blah, blah, blah.....and so DD, we need to be obedient and submissive."

DD: "Who wrote that?"

A-Hole: "The apostle Paul wrote it."

DD: "Why?"

A-Hole: "Some were not responding to council."

DD: "Council from whom? Paul?"

A-Hole: " Well, yes. Paul was telling them God's will for them."

DD: "Kinda like when he said to remain single, but it was his idea."

A-Hole: " ......... "

( This next part is really important. DO NOT stop speaking until you have covered all the points. DO NOT pause or allow for interruptions. The Eldub's brain must be overloaded. Remember, dubs don't reason beyond a basic level and they are conditioned to stop reasoning when it becomes a challenge. This may seem like a long speech, but it's not. It is, however, long enough to make an Eldub uncomfortable. They expect immediate compliance and regurgitated responses. )

DD: " I'm sure you would agree that "taking the lead" involves setting an example as a mature Christian? A mature Christian sets a proper example and merits imitation. That's why we are reminded as Christians to observe the course of other Christians and then, as we see how their conduct produces fruitage, we imitate their faith. We don't imitate those who set an improper example, because that is not an example worth imitating.

Furthermore, mature Christians do not make rules for others, or go beyond the things written. Paul admitted that he felt that Christians should remain single in view of the times, but he admitted that was his idea. He certainly didn't expect everyone to be obedient and submissive by never marrying. Can you imagine Paul approaching a couple who recently married and calling them out, like he did with Peter for showing favoritism? No, you can't.

So you see, the real issue for Christians is this: Where is the council coming from? Is a brother telling you to wear only white dress shirts, or is he reminding you to pay Caesar's things to Caesar? We have to obey our Father as ruler, rather than men. If any Elder here or anywhere in the world suggests that we obey men, instead of our Father, we have to draw a line in the sand, so to speak. So, when Brother Mc Boss told me that I had to stop eating lunch with my DF'd family member, he was enforcing his opinion, not reminding me of God's will, because you and I both know what the Flock book actually says. As a "Duke" and a "Star", what are you going to do about this?"

A-Hole: " ....... "

I wouldn't even bother with any of this, unless it was really serious. Most little things blow over. The Eldubs don't even bother me at all. Of course I am still "in" for family reasons. Also, when they do take the time to ask me something, or I comment at the meetings, I say something similar to the above. When they realize that you know more than they do, and reason more than they do, most of the Eldubs avoid you. They have their own problems after all, they don't want anymore. Sure, occasionally some newbie Eldub has something to prove, but they are becoming scarce in my area. Perhaps "qualified" men are not reaching out? Those that are "all in" and young, are not that bright. A few attempt to be like Peter and not let anyone look down on their youth, but a speech like the above lets them know who they are dealing with and they are happy to never engage you again.

You could always go with the short version of the above speech, depending on your circumstances.

A-Hole: "Ahhh.. Brother DD, could we..."

DD: "NO."

DD 😇

• Joe Grundy
    Joe Grundy

18. How can we strengthen our brotherly love for our elders? 18 “Remember those who are taking the lead.” (Read Hebrews 13:7, 17.) When we think about the hard work that our elders do for us—all without financial reward—our brotherly love and feelings of appreciation for them are strengthened. Never would we want them to lose their joy or to sigh because of something we do. Rather, by our obedience and submission, we “give them extraordinary consideration in love because of their work.”—1 Thess. 5:13.

I never was a JW, so take this comment for what it's worth.

Even discounting the 'jwspeak' language used (which frequently jars with me and - I'm sure - a lot of 'normal' people) this reads like something you might expect to find in a North Korea press release exhorting the populace not to grumble about rations being reduced again. Shades of '1984'.

My personal experience of elders is limited to two men who admitted to being such in (separate) visits to my door. They were, to be honest, less than impressive - not just because they didn't display much engagement, joy, charisma, etc., but because they weren't very good at doing what they were there for, i.e. selling the org. I can't imagine that many people they spoke to were tempted 'in' by their demeanour.

I watched the ARC proceedings. Apart from the evidence obtained, I found watching the jw hierarchy in action very telling. Here on display were all the 'ranks' from local elders through to GB. It was a fairly pitiful display, I thought. If I came across someone tempted to join the jws, I'd recommend they watch the ARC videos and ask the question 'Are you sure that these are the sort of people to whom you want to submit many aspects of your life?'.

(As a side comment: the ARC sessions reminded me a great deal of my time as a cop, especially on the Fraud Squad, interviewing suspects - and later watching them giving evidence in court disastrously trying to defend or explain their actions. It rarely ended well for them.)

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

I hate dub-speak. Sadly, to break through the cult persona, you have to use their own speech patterns to set them up for some cognitive dissonance.

You may wake them up, or they may avoid you for the rest of your life. I prefer the former, but will accept being avoided.

DD

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I find some of the purges to be quite extreme. It's one thing to get rid of something that blatantly contradicts your beliefs. It's another to get rid of everything that does not blatantly identify you as a follower of Jesus. First, does that mean that all shorts, even the Bermuda shorts, are taboo? What about jeans? Sneakers? Short sleeve shirts, particularly non-dress shirts? Remember, back in that day, the dress code was a robe, with fringes. Do we see that these days?

Another thing is about media. Music and movies have to entertain Jesus? What if that thing would rather not listen to a song or watch a particular movie for no good reason? And there is the issue of video games. Try explaining why you are entertained by playing these things to a god that wants children's ice cream money. You spent that money on a video game? Most games cost between 10 and 60 toilet papers (US toilet papers), depending on the system. Common Pokemon games cost around 35 (for the Diamond, Pearl, Platinum, and Heart Gold/Soul Silver) to 40 (for the 3DS). Now, how are you going to explain spending that money on a game, not to mention the money you spent on the system, when children are supposed to throw away their ice cream money?

The whole article is a curse. You start throwing away everything that means anything to you, you tie in with the video where Caleb throws away the Sparlock toys for barely tying in with magic. You also tie in with Sophia not being able to have an ice cream cone. Which can tie in with every other family with a Caleb and/or a Sophia (including classrooms, to boot). Do you wish to damn such a wide number of innocent people by throwing away things because some fictitious being might not be particularly interested in it or because you need to throw away the money into the Worldwide Damnation Fund?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit