I may have finally figured out why some today think we are responsible for what others did centuries ago....it's in the bible

by StoneWall 11 Replies latest jw friends

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

We all know how Adam and Eve are supposedly responsible for selling all of mankind into sin and thus becoming "slaves to sin".
    So what they did (if it's not a fairy tale) affected all of the humans that would come after them.

Then at Exodus 34:7 it goes on to show the sins of the father being passed down to the third and fourth generations
    7 "keeping lovingkindness for thousands, forgiving iniquity and transgression and sin; and that will by no means clear the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation." (ASV)

Even though I no longer look to the bible or regard it as I once did, I'm just trying to figure where some in today's world can even get the idea others are responsible for things that were done before they were born. Only religion can make people feel guilty for things they never did/done or were a part of and then make others feel as if they're entitled to something.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

"visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children, and upon the children’s children, upon the third and upon the fourth generation."

Some major sins do take a few generations to undo. My great grandmother was the first JW in our family. 3 to 4 generations later, descendants are just now breaking free from idolizing the WT.

Our family has suffered greatly because of her sin. Other sins like alcoholism, adultery, and child abuse can also have a multi-generational effect as well.

On the point you make about Adam's sin... we sin because he passed on a sin nature to his descendants. But we are not judged on his sin, but our own. That is a consistent standard, not a double standard like we see in the news today.

Double standards flow naturally from the false inconsistent idea that we can all each have our own truth... which makes each of them equally false according to another.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

FYI a fairy tale starts 'once upon a time.' The Bible, not just at the start but throughout, maps everything within an extraordinarily accurate timeframe.

Try moving beyond Exodus 34

(John 3:16) 16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. . .

(John 8:10,11) Then Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?” 11“No one, Lord,” she answered. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Now go and sin no more.”

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Anna Marina says: "Try moving beyond Exodus 34"

Ok how's this? How about all the innocent Egyptian babies that were slaughtered for only being "guilty" of being the first-born? What did they do to deserve that?
    Next on my list...how about of Job's children that died just because supposedly God and Satan had a bet if Job would stay steadfast? What did they do?
    How about Jephthah's daughter having to answer for a vow he made to god at Judges chapter 11? What did she do? Why not allow him to answer for himself and let her make her own vows? The list goes on and when people try and say the bible teaches we answer only for our own sins I say wholeheartedly and unreservedly "BULLSHIT"

But to get back to my original OP I was just trying to figure where these people think we owe them anything for what happened in the past. I've never owned slaves and they've never been slaves.

• StoneWall
    StoneWall

Sea Breeze said:
    "Double standards flow naturally from the false inconsistent idea that we can all each have our own truth... which makes each of them equally false according to another."

ummm maybe double standards come from a so called holy book that says with god there is no partiality then in that same book goes on to say how he picked one race to be his chosen people.
    Or how Adulterers were to be stoned then goes on to make exceptions to their own rules. Did King David get stoned for his relationship with BathSheba? Speaking of good ole King David, how many wives and concubines did he have? Talk about double standards the bible is full of them.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

Stonewall - we obviously have a different take on things.

I view the True God as Holy. He is Almighty and all his ways are justice and it does not belong to us to question Him because He gave life and He alone has the right to take life.

But from your perspective, you might be viewing Him as a gorilla with a hand grenade. If that is the case, I'd be cautious with that gorilla.

Now if there is no gorilla and no hand grenade, you're fine.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

Feeling guilty about something that happened 200 years ago, is like beating your kids because you stole a chocolate when you were 8.

In reference to BLM, or here in Australia, Aboriginal issues, all anyone can do now is be a decent person and respect everyone equally and acknowledge the past. Deep cuts like racism take time to heal and there has been a lot of progress but there will always be racists, like there will always be morons.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

(John 3:16) 16 “For God loved the world so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life. . .

So why did God /Jesus cast Satan down to the earth to mislead mankind ? as stated in Revelation ? They could have cast him off to another Galaxy where he couldnt do humans any harm.

And why would they let him out of prison after the thousand years have ended to mislead mankind again ? That`s not a loving thing for him to do ,humans have more love for their sons and daughters never putting them through any such thing.

If you believe the Bible the only conclusion you can come to is that God hates humanity ,he being directly responsible for killing billions of people in human history whereas Satan may have been responsible for maybe only 10 ?

And why would God even allow Satan to exist in the first place after Adam and Eve to cause suffering and death not to mention all of the horrifying diseases he allowed humans to be inflicted by on Billions of people ?

So excuse me if I pass on God loving the world of mankind.

• Anna Marina
    Anna Marina

This was about the individual who actually did the wrong doing.

(John 8:10,11) Then Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are your accusers? Has no one condemned you?” 11“No one, Lord,” she answered. “Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Now go and sin no more.”

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I think this explains it well:

" The sins of the fathers are punished in the children through becoming the sins of the children.

I the Lord...visit the iniquity of the fathers on the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me, but showing steadfast love to thousands of those who love me and keep my commandments.” (Exodus 20:5; cf. Numbers 14:18)"

Wicked people sadly often have wicked children continuing in their path

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit