Lloyd’s new book

by jwfacts 117 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I see there has already been discussion over Lloyd’s new book How To Leave The Jehovah's Witnesses. This includes discussion around his personality, motives and financial gains.

I have written a foreword for this book, because it is an important topic that has not been covered in such a complete format before. In doing so, I was aware that I may also come under criticism, which I have mostly been able to avoid to this point.

People write books because they feel they have something to say in a way that has not been said before, or reach a community not reached before (among other reasons.) I created a website, not because there weren’t any others covering the topic, but because I didn’t think any collated the information in quite the same format that I had.

When it comes to financial gain, their is very little to be made out of the exJW community, so I find it disturbing that people keeping bringing this is as motivation. I make less per year from Google AdWords than it costs me for hosting and computer equipment. Not to mention that I receive nothing for the hours I spend every week maintaining and adding to it. My YouTube channel has over 1 million views and I have earnt less than $200 total. Not per month; in total.

Lloyd is earning far less from his JW activism than he could working full time in his business as a translator.

We all have different personalities, styles and approaches to how we move on from the past. Each approach reaches only some people.

It is my wish that we could support each other in our efforts, and not waste so much negative energy criticizing others. Support the efforts that you approve of, ignore the ones you don’t, but don’t second guess others motives or attack others, when most here are doing their best to move on and help where they can.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That's fair enough Paul and let's hope the book helps people who need it. But can I say your latest videos are excellent, especially your son coming across weird terms like "objects of hatred" and "Babylon the Great". It really emphasises how strange JW commonplaces are and how they in no way help people understand the world, just fill people's heads with nonsense. The JWs who contact you sound unhinged.

https://youtu.be/335em7CEPPk

I don't know how YouTube works but I reckon you should have got more money for your videos. I see most of your views come from one video about famous JWs. Are you sure you've turned on all the available ad buttons or whatever?

• Listener
    Listener

Did you get the chance to read his book before you agreed to write a forward in his book?

I believe he is using you to add more credibility to his book. Without a question that is your choice and your personal judgment call to make.

His book, being titled "How to leave the Jehovah's Witnesses" will, I imagine, include his own experience, possibly including what he did right and what he got wrong.

Why am I concerned? Lloyd uploaded a Youtube video before he attended his final JC and he states

"I've already decided that I'm not going to be recording it ... and the reason why I'm not going to be recording it is because I don't want anything to hide... do with that information what you will but don't go out of your way to turn my family against me, I'm talking about my wife's parents who we live with, who are already very traumatized by whats been happening we, they rely on us, they rely on us to look after them and I won't have my ability to care for them compromised by these men going above and beyond what's written in the literature and coercing my in laws to shun us even though we live under the same roof. So I have a few things to say to them, in fact the only reason, the only reason I'm going to a Judicial Committee is because I need to communicate to them that just as they have the ability to make MY life a misery, I have some degree of ability to make life difficult for Jehovah's Witnesses in Croatia. I, I do believe that. I don't need to do it, I won't do it if there can be some agreement that my parents in law will be left alone. Some would say it's a threat. I'm the one being threatened here, I'm the one being threatened with shunning and two can play that game. So I just wanted to let you all know what's going on and thanks for watching."

In his own words 'make of this what you will' and I do wonder what is behind all of this. I can't see how he could write a book on how to leave the JWs without going into detail about what was going on here so it will be interesting to read what he has to say.
  • JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Thank you Paul for this thread. Let's see if your input does any good in shutting-up these naysayers and killjoys! God bless you and your son.

• steve2
    steve2

Thank you too Paul. I like that we are diverse individuals with a shared background and each of us is learning so much as we move forward. Regarding posters who find it necessary to remind us how negatively they regard Lloyd, all I can say is, I have suffered many putdowns from my former JW brothers and sisters over many, many years - and I have found it helpful to acknowledge their perfect right to form their opinions about me. Yet I can also confess when anyone leavens their personal criticism with mercy and humility, their feedback goes down that much better. I have no brief to defend Lloyd, but I welcome a sense of fair proportion and mercy when posters feel compelled to remind me yet again how they feel about him.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Just a thought, Paul, is there a section on your site explaining how to leave the JWs? If not, perhaps there should be. Active JWs do visit your site (i link some of my Quora answers to your page and they come back trying to explain away the evidence you present). Your site is practically the "go-to" place for JWs with doubts.

• Onager
    Onager

I don't watch John Cedar's videos nowadays because I only want a general overview of what's going on in JW land and not an in depth analysis. When I first started looking, though, his videos and website were invaluable. Mr Grundy's website is amazing and the best resource on the internet (that I know of) but I was only led to it initially by the more easily accessible talking head of Mr Cedars.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

"....don’t second guess others motives or attack others, when most here are doing their best to move on and help where they can."

Paul - very honest explanation, and sadly, an accurate description of some individuals who frequent sites like this one and are only too ready to berate & ridicule anyone who discusses/expresses a belief.

Attacking the org is justifiable; attacks victims/survivors who seek various forms of help from those who have come through similar situations are no better than the abuse dished out by the org & its elders.

This site attracts newbies with its "friendly, tolerant, and informative environment" statement. Let's attract many, many more.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Did you get the chance to read his book before you agreed to write a forward in his book?

I read most of it, except for the last couple of chapters that were not finished at the time. If people can read the book before doing anything, and make an educated exit, it will make a huge difference in a lot of lives. Unfortunately, as we all know, we were so afraid to research whilst still in, that we leave in ways that have bad consequences, and then learn what we should have done.

Just a thought, Paul, is there a section on your site explaining how to leave the JWs? If not, perhaps there should be.

There isn't, though I have wanted to write one for years. I am thinking of getting a friend to finish off some half written articles of mine, and that would be one of them.

Slimboyfat - I don't know how YouTube works but I reckon you should have got more money for your videos.

My first video had some creative commons music on it when I loaded the video. When the song became popular, they changed the copyright and filed a claim, so they get all the revenue from that video. The video that is most viewed of famous Jehovah's witnesses have a number of songs on it, all short samples from famous JWs, which I thought was acceptable under fair use. Just to be safe, I didn't have ads on it. Off all the songs, on George Benson (well not him personally) filed a claim, so he gets all the advertising revenue from that one. There is no real way to even fight against it with Google. For the other clips I have been more careful, but even then, 10,000 views may only generate $20. I seems that if the viewer clicks on skip, no revenue is earned, even though the advertiser has had 5 free seconds of marketing. It has made me wonder if it is even worth detracting from the video with ads.

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

I have found it helpful to acknowledge their perfect right to form their opinions about me

I agree. I have posted articles here before publishing them in order to get constructive criticism. It is not alway easy to take, and I don't always agree with others or take there advice, but am happy for them to comment, and at times will make changes.

There is a point when advice becomes a witch hunt. Six Screens, Zeb, Cedars all have a more forceful style of activism that may offend a greater portion of people, but they also get attention and have helped who knows how many tens of thousands of people. For instance, I was in two minds about the approach Zeb was taking with the I'm Worldly youtube channel, and he came in for a lot of criticism. Yet he shone on the W5 documentary. I was really moved by his admission that even he feels uncomfortable with what he does, but he cannot think of anything else where he can make a difference to help get his family back. It was quite heartbreaking. The discussions around these people have offered advice and I am sure some of it has been taken on board, but a lot becomes very unfair personal attacks. We all have our own opinions, and each opinion is only correct for a part of the population.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit