Can Elders or MS have Goatee?

by Iamallcool 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

Just wondering!

• kramer
    kramer

Depends where you are , full beards are fine in some areas, clean shaven only in others.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

USA!

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Can Elders or Ministerial Servants have a goatee?

🤣🤣🤣

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

USA, fuggedaboutit. Totally and completely verboten.

Elsewhere, maybe. In some Scandinavian countries, full beards (well trimmed) are OK, but not for assembly or convention speakers. I would imagine a well-trimmed goatee would also be OK.

• Iamallcool
    Iamallcool

JWGB is a grammar czar! LOL! By the way, Thank you for the correction!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Around here it would be perfectly o k ( UK) I see elders and public speakers with beards quite often.

WT sept 2016

“What about the propriety of brothers wearing a beard? The Mosaic Law required men to wear a beard. However, Christians are not under the Mosaic Law, nor are they obliged to observe it. (Lev. 19:27; 21:5; Gal. 3:24, 25) In some cultures, a neatly trimmed beard may be acceptable and respectable, and it may not detract at all from the Kingdom message. In fact, some appointed brothers have beards. Even so, some brothers might decide not to wear a beard. (1 Cor. 8:9, 13; 10:32) In other cultures or localities, beards are not the custom and are not considered acceptable for Christian ministers. In fact, having one may hinder a brother from bringing glory to God by his dress and grooming and his being irreprehensible.​—Rom. 15:1-3;1 Tim. 3:2, 7.”

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I think the UK has changed a lot in recent years. Twenty plus years ago, as an elder, I tried testing the waters. I left my 'holiday beard' on whilst I took the Ministry School. Another elder had a really good at me afterwards, so I shaved it off for the Sunday meeting.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

While "not locally acceptable " is applied the truth is many doctors, lawyers, newsmen do have beards. So they ignore the actual facts.

There are some really bizarre styles but I know a few goateed men who look terrible clean shaven. Then there is ZZ Top.

Somebody posted a photo of WC Amburg mocking the WT statement about neatly trimmed.

• minimus
    minimus

Years ago I knew of a Canadian elder who was young , I believe the youngest elder appointed at the time. He was kind of like a boy wonder. Anyway, he grew a well manicured beard. He was promptly talked to by the other elders and was told he had to shave it and stop being a rebel. After much letter writing to the Society, the elders in the local congregation prevailed. He then shaved it off and all was good. The problem was it wasn’t good for him! He couldn’t take the fact that he was told he couldn’t wear a beard. He got sullen and pretty negative and eventually just stopped going to meetings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit