Elders coming...i'm shaking in my boots...NOT! Any help?

by searchfothetruth 46 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AlanF
    AlanF

Another thought: An interesting comment on the transformation from Russell's original and completely failed predictions about 1914, to present JW teaching, is made by Carl Sagan in Broca's Brain, pages 332-333:

Doctrines that make no predictions are less compelling than those which make correct predictions; they are in turn more successful than doctrines that make false predictions.
    But not always. One prominent American religion confidently predicted that the world would end in 1914. Well, 1914 has come and gone, and -- while the events of that year were certainly of some importance -- the world does not, at least so far as I can see, seem to have ended. There are at least three responses that an organized religion can make in the face of such a failed and fundamental prophecy. They could have said, "Oh, did we say ‘1914'? So sorry, we meant ‘2014.' A slight error in calculation. Hope you weren't inconvenienced in any way." But they did not. They could have said, "Well, the world would have ended, except we prayed very hard and interceded with God so He spared the Earth." But they did not. Instead, they did something much more ingenious. They announced that the world had in fact ended in 1914, and if the rest of us hadn't noticed, that was our lookout. It is astonishing in the face of such transparent evasions that this religion has any adherents at all. But religions are tough. Either they make no contentions which are subject to disproof or they quickly redesign doctrine after disproof. The fact that religions can be so shamelessly dishonest, so contemptuous of the intelligence of their adherents, and still flourish does not speak very well for the tough-mindedness of the believers. But it does indicate, if a demonstration were needed, that near the core of the religious experience is something remarkably resistant to rational inquiry. [Carl Sagan, Broca's Brain, Ballantine Books, New York, 1982, p. 332]

AlanF

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

AlanF

I have just finished Carl Sagans 'Contact' but didn't realise that he had commented on the witnesses, even though I know the society has quoted him in the Creation book and the like. I appreciate your time, thanks

p.s. Why am I just a Newbie with 70+ posts??

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Thanks for all your help everybody. I'll let you know what happened tomorrow night.

Peace. ( Although thats unlikely with 'Dubya' on the prowl)

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Alanf,

I have a small problem understanding your reasoning on the "slave" text. I was just about to forward this to my JW brother when I realized I had a trouble with your explanation. I am afraid my brother would pull this argument to shreds.......

So verse 45 says "Who then is the faithful and wise servant, whom the master has put in charge of the servants in his household to give them their food at the proper time? 46 It will be good for that servant whose master finds him doing so when he returns."

I read this and see that the Master has put in charge the slave sometime earlier. OK its clear that His return is still in the future as verse 46 says "when he returns." But I read verse 45 and it tells me the slave had been ALREADY appointed BEFORE the Masters Return. So when was the slave appointed?

Thanks for any help you can give...

The Pope

• Will Power
    Will Power

One more little gem - goes to misrepresentation, confusion, and manipulation of scripture.

1 Thes 4:16 The Lord* descends with the call of the archangel.

The asterisk shows you a footnote that this lord is Jehovah. But this is the passage they use to prove that Jesus is Michael the Archangel.

Found in the interlinear, CD rom (not sure about the newest CD, they might have fixed this) But this footnote has been around in NWT, & WT since 1973. (so its not just a typo)

Always the questions should lead to them realize that their loyalty to the organization goes AGAINST God, Truth, and the Bible.

Have they made attempts to locate and re-unite families that have been wrecklessly split apart over defunct doctrines ?

Good Luck.

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

But surely the master isn't the society, it must be talking about Jesus?

The society have put themselves in the position of Jesus as the mediator of the great crowd and this isn't what was meant

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

Will Power

Thants a corker! Keep it coming.

• artful
    artful

The Pope: I'm sure Alan will answer this better than I can, however, I'll give it a shot. The WTS explanation of the FDS is that upon the Master's Return (which occurred in 1914), he inspected his temple (1918), and then appointed the WTS as the FDS (1919). Those whom the master 'put in charge' (according to WTS doctrine) are any of the many Christian religions (read: slaves) in existence since 33CE. Therefore they sink themselves with their own interpretation. Great point BTW Alanf!!
    Cheers Artful

• searchfothetruth
    searchfothetruth

The society believed at the time of 'the inspection' that C.T.russell was the faithful and discreet slave. The first mention of the Governing Body in the Watchtower literature was 1944 and so how can we be trusting of the governing body now when the society claims that they have been around since the forming of the org?

• PopeOfEruke
    PopeOfEruke

Artful

thanks! you fixed it for me....so the Society says that the "return" mentioned in verse 46 is the 1914 one, yet the "returns" in the previous and subsequent verses are still in the future.

I think this whole crock of cr*p should be stamped "return to sender"...!!!

Thanks!

Pope

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit