Crisis of Conscience: December 12, 2015 - 50 weeks later

by Jehalapeno 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

On December 12, 2015 this statement was made by the Copyright holder:

I am presently considering three different routes to publishing Crisis of Conscience. I hope to make a decision within days and plan to publish within weeks.

It has now been 50 weeks since that statement.

Has the book been published yet? Or am I missing something?

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

To be honest, I think this Copyright Holder should turn this book into the public space. If she is not going to publish this book, might as well give it away to people who will.

Quite frankly, I don't even know why Ray Franz didn't have it in his will to give it away once his wife would pass.

• Gargamel
    Gargamel

It is a pity. I did offer to proof read a chunk of it, but received no reply. I can't blame anyone for that as they have no idea that I play it straight and wouldn't rip it off.

I do hope that the work isn't lost as I know it has been a major turning point for some.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I wonder if WT would ever make an offer to obtain the rights (god knows they have the theocratic warfare mentality and the $$$) and then leave them in a vault somewhere forever with any other copies they have hoovered up off e-bay.

Personally, I wouldn't put it past them.

• ozbrad
    ozbrad

Selling for a lot of money on ebay. Sorry I lent my copy and never got it back.

• blondie
    blondie

You can ask the copyright holder at the same site I believe. Have you tried that?

• steve2
    steve2

The copyright owner is unintentionally doing JW organization a huge favour by continuing to delay publishing it.

I am conflicted over this: I have argued that copyright is copyright and there's nothing anyone else can do about it period. And I do have sympathy for the host of medical reasons the copy right owner had that was delaying the publishing of Ray's book.

But the extended delay is incredibly difficult to understand and raises the question about why the copyright owner doesn't just turn the publication over to a trusted person so that it can be made available as a pdf that is in the public domain - like so many other publications nowadays.

As I say, the delay helps JW organization.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I sent the copyright holder $1,000 to assist with publishing costs. Did anyone else send her contributions?

I'm very disappointed.

Time and circumstance befall us all, and some are just cheats, grifters and theives.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    steve2: I am conflicted over this: I have argued that copyright is copyright and there's nothing anyone else can do about it period. And I do have sympathy for the host of medical reasons the copy right owner had that was delaying the publishing of Ray's book.

Me too. I have defended the copyright holder's right to ownership and respected that right.

But...in two more weeks a year is up and for the life of me, I cannot think of a good reason why the book has not been released. Even if the person has some ongoing medical reasons, there have been LOTS of people offer to help.

My respect is waning. Nah, I will be honest. My respect has disappeared. If I held copyright on material that is critical for some people to have - it truly is a matter of life and death for some - even if I was in palliative care, I would look after getting the book into the public realm.

I have a personal pdf copy that I have not shared up to now. I am willing to share it now - pm me if you want a copy. My patience has ran out and Christmas is coming.

And yeah...slap me with a cease and desist. It won't get you anywhere and courts don't scare me. Sue me - I have nothing to give and you would have to get in line.

Sparrow, I am tending to side with you on this one. The book not being released only benefits one party and one party only.

• WHATSGOINGON
    WHATSGOINGON

Its so easy to create an ebook for sale on amazon, why doesn't she just do that ?

It would only take a week or so. Crazy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit