Anyone struggle to find meaning in life?

by Good JW 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Good JW
    Good JW
    Yes, I am.
    Besides losing the hope to live forever, my life has been shaken up again (fall out from leaving).
    I don't even know who I am right now.
    I have no motivation for anything.
    If it wasn't for my Kids, I would have a hard time getting out of bed.

ttdtt - so sorry for your hard times lately! Family fall outs are the hardest, especially if you were close-knit. I hope things settle down and you get some peace/motivation soon.

It's times like this you realise how much the ex JW movement needs to stick together. Heck even some form of "church" would be great where it's all about the community - no forcing of beliefs, just up building gatherings with speeches etc (reconnecting people who are vulnerable). All sorts welcome. Then people like yourself can bring value to the table just as before (some were elders, pioneers etc), except it's translated into non JW forms.

• Good JW
    Good JW

Thank you all for the great comments so far, really appreciate it!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

Having someone to care for and to care for you brings purpose and meaning. I don't think its about the big picture of an afterlife or paradise. Times without a caring relationship seem the most meaningless. Just my opinion.

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

I was a Devout JW and now an atheist. There is no meaning in life as there is no meaning for this Universe, as far as I know, until now.

There are no gods, heaven, hell, angels, afterlife, reincarnation or anything of that sort. Its all mankind's Fantasies.

We can make our lives meaningful though, by working for the betterment of mankind and then peacefully perish into a "point of no return" oblivion.

With all sincerity, I can say that I am more happy now than when being a religious person.

• days of future passed
    days of future passed

Yeah, I can relate to almost everything on this thread. My viewpoint on life swings in a wide arc, but then I come down to feeling like a tool that is useless. You know the ones that you buy and think it's great until you really use it and find it falls short.

Even gardening which I've done my whole life - now is difficult just because I shrug my shoulders and say So What. Some of it I attribute to having an 8 hour work day - I've usually worked 6 hours. Plus the worst boss in my entire life, if he isn't a psychopath then a sociopath. Working with JW's so that you have to bite your tongue. I've got no friends that share my interests and have a hard time making them. Yeah, crappy attitude.....

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Good JW - Thanks for your kind words.

Heck even some form of "church" would be great where it's all about the community
    It really would be nice. I don't believe in god anymore, but I would welcome something like that.

A few years ago on NPR there was a story about a church that was very much like that. The minister was a woman with a rough past, and just wanted to create a place anyone would feel welcomed at. She had a number of atheists who were part of the congregation.

• ttdtt
  • Magnum
    Magnum
    Very well written and expressed OP. I can relate 100%. I'm working right now and want to come back to this later.
  • LisaRose
    LisaRose

Learning that everything you believed in was a lie is very traumatic, it's not unexpected that you will feel temporarily adrift and without purpose. I think this is what keeps so many stuck in the organization, they are afraid of this very thing, the ambiguity. The Watchtower belief system was so black and white, it left no room for doubt.

Yes, small talk right now seems boring, because you are grappling with much larger issues, who can be concerned with the weather when you are dealing with issues of life and death and what is the very meaning of life? I also think some of us are just more prone to these types of feelings by nature and trust me, I'm in that club. Here's the deal, life has the meaning you give it. You had that meaning given to you, now is the time to find meaning for yourself, and it's so much more fulfilling that way.

Now is the time to reflect and learn about yourself, what makes you tick, what inspires you, what makes you, you. It's a journey, you won't get there in a day. Think about what you liked as a child, what passions you wanted to explore but couldn't because you were in this crazy religion. Even if it seems silly, or impractical, or crazy. Give yourself permission to dream. There are clues there, follow them. It doesn't mean you have to do that thing forever, but it's a start, you need to get some forward momentum in your life.

I personally found meditation and journaling to be very helpful in this journey of self discovery.

Good luck!

• Ruby456
    Ruby456

LisaRose very well said. thankyou

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit