Anyone struggle to find meaning in life?

by Good JW 48 Replies latest jw experiences

• Good JW
    Good JW

Just wondering if this is a common thing for you guys and girls? When I left the JWs it was hard to make a connection with people, much of the time I felt that whatever they wanted to talk about just didn't seem relevant/deep/meaningful. I find myself filtering my mind to get to a level with others (small talk mostly). There's all the banter/chatter about night outs, fitness, business etc but not much else that I found engaging. It often felt like this is all just a big huge distraction from the shallowness of life!

Is this because I was a JW? Or a pessimistic/over-thinking personality trait?

Even now I sometimes find myself pondering the "vanity of existence". I see people (myself included) seemingly living life as slaves/robots - going through the same old rut of work, rest, play (like a bunch of animals living out their instincts as if with some purpose)...rinse and repeat. When resting/reminiscing you talk about it as if it was meaningful and made sense.

Then there's the religious aspects. If you believe there's more to life than this, then the same "futile" process repeats then too. Work (improve your soul), rest/leisure, thank God, and repeat. No matter what stage you're at/belief you hold, there seems to be a "next level" to strive towards - and that's what keeps the person going. Now and then I look at it all and feel "what's the point???".

Sorry to sound depressing here! Just wanted to briefly touch on this subject...

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I have become a hopeless Nihilist.

I believe the reason for this is because having been a jobo, then waking up, it has prompted me to question EVERYTHING! (Especilally things in capital letters).

I no longer believe anything anyone says. People are a saddening disappointment. The human race is just a plague on the planet. The only thing is, we think we know stuff. We don't. We are all in the dark. We are all going to die. there is no god. there is no afterlife. How do I know this? I don't, but this is where my journey of questioning things always takes me.

Sorry to sound depressing here! Just wanted to briefly touch on this subject...

I'm not sorry to sound depressing....not in a nasty way....just seems that we must not couch vile reality in soft clouds of cosy delusion.

Yes. Everything is totally futile. However, I DO try to find joy in little things each day.

Mostly it doesn't work. then I read some Schopenhauer and his utter bleakness makes me titter.

Image result

• Half banana
    Half banana

I want to blurt out that life doesn't intrinsically have a meaning. Why should it? That doesn't mean it's not worthwhile enjoying all the marvellous things in the world.

Life is short, we might as well enjoy this amazing experience before we return to the oblivion we came from.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i dont need a meaning in my life. i just get on with it.

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Yes, I am.

Besides losing the hope to live forever, my life has been shaken up again (fall out from leaving).

I don't even know who I am right now.
    I have no motivation for anything.
    If it wasn't for my Kids, I would have a hard time getting out of bed.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Like punkofnice I feel in many ways that people are a virus on this Earth. Then I read something very beautiful by someone or hear a piece of music another composed or played. People who work hard to make life better for all of life on Earth. Making connection with people of different backgrounds and helping others in any way I can gives me comfort.

Living in the dream world of the Borg for most of my life and then leaving it has taken it's toll in finding meaning in life. But I am in many ways a eternal optimist With the freedom to use my mind now I enjoy life more now than ever. This is what keeps me going.

My heart goes out to all of you who struggle with the meaning of life. My Hope is you find a place in your life that gives you meaning. Remember the Borg took our authentic personality from us and it is up to each of us to find who we really are. Good luck to all of us in our struggles. Still Totally ADD

• transhuman68
    transhuman68

Having meaning in your life is a result - of living a purposeful life - or a life with purpose. What your purpose is, is up to you. It could be said that the meaning of life is to search for the meaning of life - or search for wisdom - which will make life easier. It's a very important question, which can be answered simply -or not, as life is a paradox. You just don't want to discover your real purpose when you're sitting in a nursing home dribbling down your chin ... so it is an important question - but the answer is something only you can discover.

• Onager
    Onager

When you're eating a pie, do you not enjoy the pie because soon you will have finished eating the pie and the pie will be no more?

Life is a pie. Eat it. Savour it. Enjoy it.

• charonsdog
    charonsdog

What I found when I left was how beautiful life could be. One of the biggest lies I was told by WT was that there is no love in the "world". People are only in it for themselves, and that I wouldn't find any true friends if I left the cult. That was complete and utter bullshit.

Since I left, I made many, many friends outside of the (dis)organization. True, not all of them are as close as some are, but I have been encouraged, invited, helped, checked up on, and made to feel part of groups. I have friends all over the world. Not in the sense that I had "friends" all over the world when in the cult. I actually KNOW people from all over the world. They have visited me both in Chicago and in Thailand where I now live. We keep in touch. I have people in my life who would literally give me the shirt off their back. I've had sincere and heartfelt discussions with them, discussions that were deeper than any I ever had when I was in the "truth". I've been able to make a positive impact on other people as well. And they show their appreciation.

My advice would be to just open yourself up to people. Be sincere. Allow them to show you who they are. I'm not saying to be naive and overly-trusting. But try not to have a suspicious nature. People are generally good, everywhere.

If you want a "purpose", find something that you care about and pursue it. And do it with other people who care about the same things.

• Lost in the fog
    Lost in the fog

Remember the JWs publication "Life Does Have A Purpose"? Their purpose was to knock lots of doors and count hours of time.

Well how did that work out for you?

It's your life so it's your purpose.

Explore the world around you both in travel and in print. Get involved in a charity which strikes a chord with your soul. Be it animal or people or planet earth. You can find fulfilment in the little things you are doing to make this world a better place for the next generation. In this way you do not have to wait for a 1,000 years to pass by to see good results for all your hard work.

Sit down and watch the sun setting. Life's meaning is for you to decide.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit