Any Buddhists Here?

by Southland 14 Replies latest jw friends

• crownboy
    crownboy

ESTEE said:

When I was jw I read "Mankind's Search For God". I thought to myself, "Hmmmmm. . . . I think I like this," when I got to the stuff about Buddhism.

I had the same reaction myself. The criticism that the book gave to it only served to highlight the overly dogmatic assertions of Christanity. If I had an interest in religion, Buddhism would probably be on my short list.

• seedy3
    seedy3

From what little studying I have done on Buddism is that it is bassically agnostic, and does not subscribe to any particular Dieity, but does not have an objection if you or any member of the group does. The buddist is really to make you understand yourself and life as it is now, although it does subscribe to morality as a way to gain in the next life. Some sects of buddism beleive that we are all able to become Gods (not like the christian god of being almighty) at one point in our incarnations, but most of the sects feel the best incarnation is to be human, becasue it is too easy to get lazy or haughty if you reach the level of Godliness.

There are a few Buddist cults running around and should be avoided as they are not much better then the christian cults, they do exert control of their members and also their money and assets.

I suppose I am much like Farkel in the note of Buddism, I am not one, but do accept many of the ideals they have that I know about. But then again I also follow the Wiccan rule of "Do what ye will but harm none" I actualy like that rule, becasue in it as ong as what ever I do, if it does not harm you or anyone else, who should care what I do.

Seedy

• Siddhashunyata
    Siddhashunyata

Take from Buddhism all that you can but beware of Buddhism. The objective is an empty mind so that "what is" comes forward. Buddhism is not "what is". You find this for yourself, within your own mind. Buddha would direct you there, not to Buddhism.

• gsx1138
    gsx1138

Nice one Sidd. I believe even Buddha taught not to put too much weight on words even his. I think he knew that words could be twisted to suit the interpreter. I think there is ample evidence that Siddhartha (sp) actually lived but I think the stories about him are symbolisms and metaphores.

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

I have to agree with others...of all the religions I have looked into, I like this one the best so far.

Reading some buddist writings have been some of the most spirit filled moments of my life.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit