I hung out with Prince...

by confuzcious 30 Replies latest jw friends

• confuzcious
    confuzcious

Hey Guys,

With all the talk lately about Micheal Jackson, I wanted talk about Prince.

A few months ago, hung out with Prince. I was also planning on going to a Public Talk meeting with him, but I got into town too late. I spent the concert backstage with Santana and Chris Tucker (I didn't get to meet Chris Tucker though). I went as a guests of Larry Graham. I got to get to know Prince and meet his new wife.

Whether or not you believe JW to be the truth or not, I wanted to say that Larry and Prince are about the most down to earth persons I've ever met.

And although I don't know Micheal Jackson, I think anyone of us would be hard pressed to judge him either. I admit that he has some strange habits, but we never walked in his shoes.

What made me think of this post is all the negative stuff about MJ. I always think it's amazing when people judge another - but most of the time - we don't even have a clue what they are going through.

Oh, the one thing that BURNED ME UP, was after I got back from the concert - I gave my experience to the group after a bookstudy of how well Prince was doing.

The look of disgust on peoples faces - saying to the effect - he doesn't deserve to be a witness.

I guess my point is - judging people - in and out of the truth is WRONG. I guess the best illustration I could come up with is a person that plays Single A baseball and can hit homeruns all the time. Take that same guy and stick him in the major leagues and he'll strike out every time.

We don't know what it's like to play up in another persons level.

• Brumm
    Brumm

Great story:

Oh, the one thing that BURNED ME UP, was after I got back from the concert - I gave my experience to the group after a bookstudy of how well Prince was doing.The look of disgust on peoples faces - saying to the effect - he doesn't deserve to be a witness

What a self rightous bunch! I thought they would have been keen to have such an accomplished artist in their midst.

They often brag about famous people joining them as if somehow it demonstrated how they had the truth, naturally they dont bother mentioning how many famous people are catholic.

Thanks for sharing your story, very interesting. BTW is Prince baptised?

Brummie

• Gopher
    Gopher

I live in the Twin Cities area and met Larry Graham at a district convention. I totally agree, he is about the most down-to-earth person you will ever meet! What a gentleman. (And his wife & daughter were so friendly!)

And I also agree that the judgmentalism about people like Prince is a by-product of the general arrogance of JW's. He obviously is too worldly to "belong" in their opinion. Or his motives are suspect, or whatever. They don't know the man, so how can they quickly come to an accurate judgment about him?

But gossip and guessing games fill the JW's social life. Their lives would likely be boring without something vicious like that to do, sadly!

As far as MJ, we had a thread going yesterday where the majority of the sentiment that came forth was that yeah Michael is not normal, but that doesn't mean he's a pedophile. The accusations from 1993 were clearly motivated by a chance to get rich at Michael's expense. And the media gets ratings and advertising dollars because of playing up the possible-perversion angle.

People just love to put down others, it makes them feel better in a sick, twisted way.

Edited by - Gopher on 8 February 2003 2:40:27

• Gizmo
    Gizmo

Yeh I don't have anything against Prince or MJ, they are a bit kooky tho you have to admit.

I have little knowledge of Princes' private life other than he had a baby that died and shortly after that he apparantly found The "TROOF" . I have listened to some of his latest music namely Rainbow Children and I must say, I don't really like it, and can read the message in at least one of his songs towards so called apostates, and the "Digital Gardens" which I interpret as The Internet, we have built to bring down the chosen ones, hehehe now that's kooky. Personally I prefer his older stuff, before he became a dub.

I don't personally think he'll remain a dub, but that's just my opinion.

Whose Larry Graham?

Edited by - Gizmo on 8 February 2003 2:54:56

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Prince drove down the dirt road I lived on once. It was in Healesville, which is in the sticks outside of Melbourne. Anyway, theres a huge Wildlife sanctuary there and Prince booked it one afternoon, he flew in by chopper, and the road between the chopper pad and the sanctuary was my street. A monentary brush with glory. sigh.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Good points Confuz. Two thumbs up! This judgment thing is for the birds. I like that anology of the baseball player. When I was a kid, baseball was my religion not golf. People should try hitting a golf ball of the first tee with an audience watching.

Guest 77

• Gopher
    Gopher

Who's Larry Graham?
    A composer/singer who played with Sly and the Family Stone in the 60's, and later formed his own group Graham Central Station. His best known popular hit was "One in A Million". He converted to the JW's in the 80's (if memory serves me correctly).

His life story appeared in the 90's in the Awake! magazine under the title "I Found One in a Milion".

Here's a brief summary of his musical career: http://www.rhino.com/Hotpress/78388pr.lasso

• Gopher
    Gopher

This judgment thing is for the birds.
    Where did this phrase "for the birds" originate?

It was coined before the era of the automobile. People would ride in horse and carriage across city streets to their destination.

Occasionally the horses would have to relieve themselves in the streets. In the dung was found undigested oats.

Birds would fly down and pick out the oats. Yummy.

I'm not making any of this up.

So for the birds really means full of crap.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Prince has actually been to the bar where I work. I have heard nothing but positive remarks of how nice he is, and what a gentleman he is, when he visited our bar.

His wife, she's from Toronto, and I know they have a home in the NICE part of town.

I'm not surprised to read some of the positive remarks about him. I have seen him, but not met him.

I have, however, sat beside Dennis Leary, and he was great! Had a few beers with him, and he was hilarious, and down-to-earth as well as very easy to talk to. He is as funny as you can imagine .

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

If Larry Graham was really "down to earth", it is unlikely Prince would be puttering around with that God-awful religion right now.

I'm sure he appears very down to earth.

If you've put them on a pedestal, all celebrities seem "down to earth" when you meet them. You realize that they have to go to the bathroom like everybody else, and in many cases are just as nervous for your acceptance as you are of theirs.

Your comments about the book studies reaction seems right on par; if I remember correctly, I've seen the same look from witnesses regarding Prince, and most other celebrity witnesses.

Edited by - SixofNine on 8 February 2003 7:52:29

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit