My Mom's Challenge to Me

by lriddle80 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I had been praying that God needed to set something up with her if he wanted me to see her because I had no desire to and then he did!

When I read that part of the comment I couldn't help but wonder why he would take the time to set up this little arrangement between you and your mother but doesn't bother to help the starving children and billions of sick and dying persons around the globe.

It seems as if you and your mother are engaging in the same magical thinking but each of you is calling it by a different name. In your mind, God is on your side and is working to make things between the two of you work out the way you want and all you had to do was put in an order. In her mind, Jehovah is on her side and things will magically go her way if only you'd use his name when you read the bible.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80
    Thanks all! I had an opportunity to share many many different scriptures from her Bible that make a case for the Trinity. I usually back down from any such talk, but about 6 months ago I had to admit to God and myself that I believe it, so I shared it with her. I asked her about salvation and she believes she is saved through Jesus. Well, I have to believe she is, too. My goal is, as a type of hybrid, to build a bridge between JW and Christianity in the spirit of unity. I think God honors that and so I am open to her challenge because this is loving her where she is and not compromising who I am. Lots of people call the Father, Jehovah, and Yahweh and other things. I believe he cares more about what our heart motivations/conditions are than the actual ritual of it, i.e. he did not want the sacrifices per session, but the thought behind it. So I am comfortable doing it. I believe in God and believe he is going to work in this situation! I figure I have one month for God to prepare our hearts for this meeting. I asked him to prepare me before and he came through in ways I didn't even expect! So, I am trusting!
  • lriddle80
    lriddle80

I think he does help starving people. I know tons of missionaries and secular people fighting this problem around the world. I think he works in global and individual lives. Magical is a curious word. I would say someone who doesn't have the spirit cannot discern spiritual things. So, this may be a little weird to you and that's ok!

• Steel
    Steel

Ask her two questions.

What book in the New Testament is the summary of Christian dogma ?

Romans

Could you give me a brief summary of it?

You will never talk about the bible again with her again. Display any knowledge and they disappear like cock roaches.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

Also, I don't believe God is choosing my side or hers. I believe God is working in her heart and mine. He is all about restoration and reconciliation and unity. I think God works in amazing ways, sometimes using really terrible things to turn lives around. I don't think we can put God in a box. He is for me, he is for her and he is for you. His will is for all to come to salvation, but he also knows that some people won't. Historically, this has been the case. Not all Israelites went in to the promised Land. And I think there is a lot we can't understand or know, but to know that God works all things for good for those he has chosen to be his people, so I rest in that. If someone else can't believe that, well that's on them, I guess.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80
    I will definitely let you know how it goes in a month! I am expecting we'll have a great talk, discussing things of the Bible and she will still believe what she believes and I will still believe what I believe. But maybe there will be a bonus surprise that I don't expect!
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

"So my JW mom messages me on Facebook last night and says she wants me, for a month, to read the Bible, but first pray using the name Jehovah and in Jesus name and then read it with an open mind. She is so ridiculous! First of all, I do pray ..."

"I am going to journal what I learn over the month and then have lunch with her showing her what I hear the spirit saying to me. It may open her mind a little to the actual truth. Nothing is impossible with God!"

"Also, I don't believe God is choosing my side or hers. I believe God is working in her heart and mine. He is all about restoration and reconciliation and unity. I think God works in amazing ways," You say you believe that God is working in her heart and yet you think she is so ridiculous for asking you to pray using his name etc. How do you know that he isn't using her to open YOUR mind? Nothing is impossible with God right?

I think he does help starving people. I know tons of missionaries and secular people fighting this problem around the world.

I think people who's lives are going relatively well and who's bellies are full at the moment find it easy to assume that god himself is actually doing something to help starving and sick people. It's easier than realizing that he is the one who intentionally cursed the earth and mankind. Supposedly the current human condition is exactly what he wanted ...why would he turn around and help us?

I think he works in global and individual lives. Each person who is starving and or sick is an individual and I'm sure if he is working globally they'd welcome more of his "work"in their vacinity of the earth. For now, all the hope they have is in the charitable works of their fellow humans, many of whom are not even christian and or don't even believe in the existence of god.

I don't think we can put God in a box. He is for me, he is for her and he is for you. His will is for all to come to salvation, but he also knows that some people won't.
    To me, that comment is in and of itself putting god in a box. A box that you've created for him in your own mind. How is it that you presume to know so much about what god does or doesn't think about anything?

Magical is a curious word. I would say someone who doesn't have the spirit cannot discern spiritual things. So, this may be a little weird to you and that's ok!

You can probably tell that after a lifetime of being a JW and spending decades agonizing over what God supposedly wants, does and thinks, I have no room left in my brain for anymore religious speculating. My eyes immediately begin rolling back in my head when I hear people speaking for or about the "lord" as if they are on some higher plain than everyone else. That's why some of your comments to me, seem a bit condescending, presumptuous and narcissistic in a way. Rather than thinking you have the inside track when it comes to god and the Bible, perhaps its time for a little humility and admit to yourself that like the rest of us (and your mother) don't have a clue about anything really. It might help your relationship if you both realized that there is very little in the Bible that is actually provable and you both only know what you've been told by others.

• Sigfrid Mallozzi
    Sigfrid Mallozzi

Thank you, Blondie for the information about God not listening to all prayers per the WT.

I have to admit that before I was thinking about my own personal situation I was thinking why isn't God listening to the GB's prayers about all the lawsuits from child sexual abuse.

• StarryNight9
    StarryNight9

How would she know whether you actually did it or not? Just food for thought.

• lriddle80
    lriddle80

She won't know, but I am doing it anyway.

I guess I was just venting on here since my friends don't really understand how it is.

It's ok if you don't believe or care about anything I say. I don't have any answers probably. I am not an authority on anything.

Thanks for chiming in, hope it entertained you for a moment :)

Have a good night!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit