Jesus died on a stake?

by SwedishChef 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• heathen
    heathen

ascot - I am aware of the current theories . They also believe that it is possible that the romans did not use nails in the feet at all but instead used a pedistool that would be placed under the feet so as to make the victim stand on the balls of the feet so eventually he couldn't hold himself up and thus the nails in the wrist would rip through the main artery thus making the victim bleed to death. This kinda makes sense since when Jesus proved to Thomas that indeed it was he, there was no required proof that the nail holes in his feet be examined but only the ones in his hands or wrists and the wound in his side from the spear. I also believe that the bible interpretations have been manipulated so we can argue about this all day and not agree.

• aTHINKING1
    aTHINKING1

if he had his hands extended directly over his head he would have asphyxiated in under 30 minutes. there have been medical studies on this that are quoted on the freeminds web site.

also matthew says that the sign was above his head, not above him or above his hands, a minor point but there nontheless.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

AThinking,

\Good point, I've read studies that suggested the average time to death for someone in the condition Jesus would have been in after the whipping and up all night etc was 8 to 10 minutes max if his arms were above his head.

• heathen
    heathen

Since you brought up the account narrated by the apostle matthew here are some interesting passages that I found - Matthew 26:56 and 26:65-66 . Further evidence of the pharicies wanting Jesus dead in accord with the mosaic law. Something else I could argue was that the apostle matthew was not present at the same location as the apostle john and it is questionable as to whether he was generalizing about the placement of the sign for I could put my hands over my head and still say the cieling is over my head and it would be a fact .

• aTHINKING1
    aTHINKING1

you're correct on the matthew isuue being "up in the air" as far as proof.

the truly ugly thing is that we recently had a talk that was about how jesus died. the speaker brought up the medical study that i cited saying that the study proved that jesus' arms could nor have been at 90 degree angles to his body because he could survive indefinately. he (or the society) failed to mention the part about him lasting less than 30 minutes if he was crucified the way the watchtower shows.

selective research at it's best!!!!

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

The Bible says Jesus was crusified. Youd think that would be enough.

• heathen
    heathen

There is so much controversy over this one part of the bible it's ridiculous - you have experts that say one thing and there are experts that can disprove your experts . I say we take some guys on death row and settle this once and for all . We take them and hang some on a cross and some on a stake some with a pedistool some with nails in there feet . I mean what the hell they're going to kill em anyway we might as well use them for scientific research .

• Dawn
    Dawn

The Bible says Jesus was crusified. Youd think that would be enough

On no no no - see, the idea confuse people with useless details, presented as fact, keeping attention away from the real purpose and truth.

I work in the legal field - defense attys use this tactic a lot when they don't have a good case. Sad thing is that it works sometimes - both in the court room and in the religious arena. If only people could weed out the sh*t (literally).

• heathen
    heathen

Dawn - That's a good point . The WT claims that early on in the translation of the bible the catholic church was responsible for the insertion of the word cross . People do disagree on the greek word that is used I think it was stauros or something like that as meaning tree or stake and not a cross in ancient greek .The Wt belief is that while the catholic church was converting pagan peoples that they would be more willing to accept the symbol of the cross because they already used it in worship to their gods . I think they reference the tao worshippers on that one and also the ancient egyptians .The thing I find intesting after looking at the account of Jesus execution was that here we have two other people hung just like jesus and one says to the other we got what was coming to us but apparently they knew that Jesus was innocent .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit