Jesus died on a stake?

by SwedishChef 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

You've got to love the Watchtower. They must think that the general population has no Bible available to it. While scrolling through a list of their beliefs on the Official site, there was one that really caught my eye because of its sheer ludicrousness. It says "Jesus died on a stake not a cross." Any of you JWs care to explain this?

Edited by - SwedishChef on 15 January 2003 22:7:25

• Jourles
    Jourles

Here is somewhat of a description of why the WTS uses a stake. It is more of a "nails" letter though... Pics of the WTS service department are shown too.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=42420&site=3

• SwedishChef
    SwedishChef

Jourles,
    Thanks for your response.

As far as I'm concerned, they will never be able to explain this one away. Maybe the WTS should use the what the Bible says - a cross. After all, the Bible referrs to the cross 28 times and gives a detailed account of the crucifixion in the four Gospels. Not to mention it was the main form of Roman capital punishment at the time. I have no idea where the WTS is coming from.

Edited by - SwedishChef on 15 January 2003 22:27:19

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

In fact Jesus died on a steak. As a punishment, this was rare. That is why he gained the heavenly "well done".

Expatbrit

• Ed
    Ed

Not trying to defend the WT or anything, but what I don't understand about the whole "plural nails = cross" argument is this: What's to stop them from using more than one nail on a stake?

• Robdar
    Robdar

When I was in, the argument was that Jehovah would never allow his son to die on such a filthy pagan sex symbol as the cross. As if a cross is more of a phallic symbol than an upright, stiff, wooden stake. (Impale me baby) It was laughable then, it's laughable now.

Robyn

• Mac
    Mac

I'm dying for a steak!!!!!!!!!!

mac, of the it must be snack time class

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

I'd like to say, not for the desire to slight jwism, but rather as a pragmatic look, that it amazes me how jwism has chosen to accept a stake rather than a cross - the symbolism is awesome. No breadth in this symbol - it's as wide as one's own stake.

paduan

Edited by - a paduan on 16 January 2003 1:49:22

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

Jesus DID die on a steak. It was a t bone.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

The WT just doesn't get it. Jesus died on the cross, nuff said.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit