Can the US police the whole world?

by JH 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Emiliano
    Emiliano

1973 Chile's President Salvador Allende was overthrown in a coup engineered by the CIA

• Emiliano
    Emiliano

Re: Brazil

is potentialy a very rich country with its natural resources. It has been under the Western system of subordination. Northeaste Brazil population has been so undernourished that Brazilian medical reaserchers now identify the population as a new species with about 40% the brain the size of humans.Due to the generations of profound malnutrition.

• back2dafront
    back2dafront

where'd you read that???!! that's crazy...

• D8TA
    D8TA

Farkel said:

Emiliano,

: The US is a capitalist country whose main agenda is to make money for the biggest and wealthies corporations in the US. They do this by intervening and contrubuting to the dismantleing of 3rd world countries.

Utter rubbish. Name one 3rd world country we "dismantled." In order to do so, you'd better darn well know the meaning of the world "dismantle."

Brazil.

U.S. funded and supported the Brazilian military dictatorship (early 60's) up untill the mid-80's when "democracy" slipped in to place. There was U.S. "intervention" to help "dismantle" this dictatorship on the condition of; U.S. sponsored IMF loans, direct loan, land and resource interest, and the such. (Not only for U.S. interest -to be fair - but also Europe and Japan as well).

I'll briefly describe the "land and resource" interest. U.S. has a strong controll as to mining, fuel, and timber areas of the Amazon and coastal oil projects. Since Brazil hasn't kept up with the interest payments of such "loans", they allow the U.S. to dictate what goes on in Brazil's yard (ex: U.S. can determine: Who can mine what, who can chop what, who can drill what etc.).

Inherint to U.S. government interests, as to this "intervention", was allowing U.S. corporations function and run within Brazilian borders with no or little "red tape". No taxes, not tariffs, etc. etc. There is also some odd "trading" agreements between the U.S. & Brazil. Thus here is the pay off to U.S. intervention and such.

Though the words "intervention" and "dismantle" would (and sometimes does) lead people to think: Military goes in, does some bang-bang, new order is setup led by a foreign country's control. In Brazil's case this isn't so. It was passive. There is still some independant control in which Brazil has, but when it comes down to it, Brazil really can't crap without the U.S. giving permission in doing so.

I notice Emilano comment again: The US is a capitalist country whose main agenda is to make money for the biggest and wealthies corporations in the US. They do this by intervening and contrubuting to the dismantleing of 3rd world countries.

Fact: U.S. is a capitalist country

Fact: It's main agenda is to make money for the biggest and wealthiest corps in the U.S.

Fact: They do it, be it passive or active, by intervening and contrubuting to the dismantleing of 3rd world countries.

I'll add here: The U.S. does aid & rebuild after it's involvement (kinda obvious, since it's an "investment").

Now as to improvement after such intervention and dismantling? Well, that's a mix bag. Some of it works and some doesn't.

Brazil's Dictatorship: there was a lot less civilian crime, lot more government inhumane treatment.

Brazil's Democracy: there is a lot more civilian crime, less government inhumane treatment.

As to economy, wow, all I can say is: Ever been on the world's biggest-loopiest-twisty-turny roller coaster? Factor 10 as to Brazil's economy today. It's a mess and Brazil conceeds to U.S. policy as how to run it's own country every year, due to interest upon interest of debt to the U.S. and IMF.

As to "dismantle", Farkel, I strongly suggest you read about various government agencies (CIA etc.) that aided Brazil in the process of Dictatorship in to Democracy. You may also would like, if you choose, to include your research with U.S. loans, IMF loans, and corporations from the U.S. that work with & in Brazil. Oh, and the current trade agreements between U.S. and Brazil (some are comical-at least from an entertainment point of view).

to take to pieces; also : to destroy the integrity or functioning of

I think you may see how the U.S. help destroy the functioning of a dictatorship (heck a society of people) in this case.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Afghanistan was bombed to hell, and so was Iraq in the Gulf War, breaking down the structure of both countries.

Afghanistan was hell long before we arrived. So was Iraq.

We also "broke down" the structures of Japan and Germany in WWII. Do you think we still control those countries? I'm more than willing to concede that our leaders have sanctioned some very selfish things for evil purposes, but do you actually believe such deeds have outweighed the good we've done for other countries?

Thirty years ago a big chunk of South America was in the hands of communist leaders. Now, none of the countries are communist on that continent. Do you think a communist system is better than a capitalist system? Communism is only for people who are losers and lazy. Most people are not that way.

Have you ever bothered to get a construction loan on a piece of real estate? Did you know the banks generally dictate everything you must do with the money, and if you don't do what they say, they'll take your property away from you. The capitalist golden rule is, "he who has the gold, makes the rules." Brazil chose to accept money from us and with that money came rules, too. We loaned out far too much money to countries and never been paid back. I believe Finland is the ONLY country in Europe which paid us back their war debts, and they are very proud of that fact.

I don't recall hearing on the news lately that Brazil has been "dismantled," by the way.

I'm not happy about a LOT of things the US government and businesses get away with, so here is my little opinion of the matter, "The USA has the worst government in the entire world. Except for all the rest."

Farkel

• D8TA
    D8TA
    We also "broke down" the structures of Japan and Germany in WWII. Do you think we still control those countries?

In the sense of direct control? No. Yet, if you remember, the U.S. did make Japan (as per the peace treaty after WW2) conceed to various social, political, and military refroms. I do not question the "right vs. wrong - good vs. bad" of what we are discussing. But yes, the U.S. does have control over Japan in many cases to this day.

Thirty years ago a big chunk of South America was in the hands of communist leaders. Now, none of the countries are communist on that continent. Do you think a communist system is better than a capitalist system?

Barring Brazil and a few other nations (being a military dictatorships, and under the aid of the U.S., helped the U.S. combat communism in the Latin American communities), various South American were in the hand of communists. As to Communism being "better" then a capitalist system. I will answer you honestly as per my point of view: Both are equal. I say this because of being aware that no matter what system is in place, they all fall in to corruptions that are equal with each other.

I don't try to fix problems, I just call as they are. :P To me, it's one big web...various socities trying to survive on this big blue marble. It's what we have to work with, and there is always some people that will try to (or are) exploiting it. To give it equal consideration in the playing field, there are people that try (or are) to improve it.

Have you ever bothered to get a construction loan on a piece of real estate? Did you know the banks generally dictate everything you must do with the money, and if you don't do what they say, they'll take your property away from you. The capitalist golden rule is, "he who has the gold, makes the rules." Brazil chose to accept money from us and with that money came rules, too. We loaned out far too much money to countries and never been paid back. I believe Finland is the ONLY country in Europe which paid us back their war debts, and they are very proud of that fact.

Yes, all this which I've said, serves a capitalist agenda. No disagreement here.

I don't recall hearing on the news lately that Brazil has been "dismantled," by the way.

1980's...85 if my memory serves correctly.

so here is my little opinion of the matter, "The USA has the worst government in the entire world. Except for all the rest."
    And I'll share my opinion on this matter: "The USA has the worst government in the entire world. JUST LIKE all the rest".
  • reporter
    reporter

The U.S. reliance on foreign oil has never really been diminished (unless they get Alaska project underway). Oil, even with new and refined exploration technologies, is a finite resource. If you follow the money, and the oil, and (eh Canada) water, and other essential resources, you will come upon a paper trail with quite few innocents. Hint, watch CNN to stay on top of world events.

For a few more details, here's a link:

http://www.voxnyc.com/

Now, only if we had the political will to shift into an alternative form of energy...now talk SuperPower!

The kicker is, it is too damn simple...

The oil industry is spending R&D $$$$$ on it, though!

• ThiChi
    ThiChi

Some here need a reality check. Name one country that has never been invaded at one point in history? This is the process of human society.

What third world country has done better by kicking the US out? Iran? Nope. It is worse now than when we were an influence there. You can not name one.

Who cares if we go in for oil? That is the best reason in the world for stability and economy, for all.

"As to Communism being "better" then a capitalist system. I will answer you honestly as per my point of view: Both are equal"

With respect, History has proved you wrong many times. Can you say USSR?

Edited by - thichi on 22 January 2003 11:40:42

Edited by - thichi on 22 January 2003 11:59:42

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

The only other option to acting as the world police is to become Isolationalists like we did after WW1, and you saw the outcome there. If we withdraw from world politics, world politics will envelope and destroy us.

• Sargon
    Sargon

Just going off on a tangent here.

has anyone seen the Peter Sellers movie "the mouse that roared'. it's about a fictional poor european country that found itself bankrupt.; They decided that the only way to help their economy was to lose a war to the US.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit