For those who don't believe in God

by freedom96 45 Replies latest jw friends

• freedom96
    freedom96

When we were witnesses, we certainly believed in God. Some of us were born into it, and others have perhaps come from other religions, while still others may never had any religious faith at all.

Some here on the board now claim that there is no God at all. What I would like to know is what happened from believing to not believing?

There is a big difference in realizing that the WTS is not the true religion and then going to the extent of claiming that God is not real. Many of us here have obviously realized that the WTS is full of crap, but that doesn't mean that there is not a God. We still believe in Him, just not the Watchtower.

I can understand some people who never have believed in God, therefore are athiests. But to go from very much believing to not, I don't understand.

As we are all certainly entitled to our opinions, this is not meant to slam or attack those who don't believe, just curious what happened for you not to believe at all anymore?

Edited by - freedom96 on 9 January 2003 12:42:18

• Celia
    Celia

the more I read about different religions, the more God seems like the invention of some superstitious mind, used again and again by manipulative people....

Edited by - Celia on 9 January 2003 13:4:55

• Gopher
    Gopher

I don't know what class I fall into -- a non worshipper, yet not an atheist.

Anyhow, these changes in belief -- the retreat from the old rigid way of thinking, comes in gradual steps.

First we see the holes in the JW belief system and in the way they hypocritically fail to back up their words of love with actions.

Then as we start to investigate further (by reading whatever sources), we come to see that the Bible is merely another book of men seeking to explain the unexplainable -- the world of the invisible, what happens after death, etc. The way "Jehovah" is explained in the Hebrew Scriptures as an angry, jealous and hard-to-please individual, along with the way the end seems to justify whatever means -- nations being invaded, women and children being taken hostage or killed, all begins to just wear you down.

And then some start to think about the cruelty and mayhem in the world around us, and the fact that some Christians claim God blesses them personally -- well if he does so, how does he ignore the many more who suffer abuse, starvation and deprivation on a daily basis? If God can intervene for some, why would he deliberately ignore others?

This causes some to doubt or dismiss the existence of a personal God who cares in any way about creation.

Edited by - Gopher on 9 January 2003 13:3:12

• Gedanken
    Gedanken

freedom,

Once one starts to think critically about things it becomes hard to stop at the boundaries of the WTS. Why not put the Bible and all religions under the microscope too? Also, after one has rejected cut and dried (but erroneous) WTS teachings such as "why has God permitted wickedness" etc. then it's natural to re-examine these questions from a new, more objective angle. In my own case, e.g., studying the evidence for evolution was a real eye opener. By the way I'd recommend Janet Browne's two part biography of Darwin since it shows clearly how objective observation of nature was really at the root of Darwin's theory.

Perhaps there is a God but I don't see much evidence for his existence and certainly none for the existence of the classical Christian type of God. Recently I read God: A guide for the perplexed by Keith Ward who's a theologian at Oxford University in England. He raises a lot of issues concerning the nature of God. However, the book will probably leave most people who "believe in God" more perplexed than ever. The simplest nonperplexing solution seems to be to work on that premise that God does not exist until actual concrete evidence arises. That might also, incidentally, be a healthier context in which to think about war, the environment, health issues etc. As Thomas Huxley put it, in regard to Darwin's work (I'm paraphrasing from memory); "Extinguished theologians lie all around the cradle of science like the dead serpents around Hercules." In other words, what has religion done to advace anything? What has it done to stifle progress and encourage repression through dogmatism? If God's behind this then what sort of a god is he?

Gedanken

• sleepy
    sleepy

I realised my baisis for belief in a God was not founded on proper consideration of known facts and evidence.I've learnt to be more anilitical in the way I think than when I was a witness and try to examine things to the best of my ability.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld

Ditto just about everyone on this post. A re-examination of the way I was raised leads you right into examining just where/how this whole christain movement began and is/was supported. Throw in some reading about non-christain beliefs easily lets me see that all religions are 1) a human attempt to explain the unexplainable, and/or 2) a great way to exploit other humans for money, power, fame, worship, etc. Often #1 leads into #2 as the religion 'matures'.

• JH
    JH

I always believed in God, and I always will. If I exist, it is because of God. Some don't believe in God, and some do. I want to live eternally, and I need God for that. No one can expect to live eternally without God's blessings.

• NameWithheld
    NameWithheld
    I want to live eternally, and I need God for that. No one can expect to live eternally without God's blessings.

JH, this is in no way a slam on you, nor am I trying to change your beliefs - honestly, I could care less what people personally choose to beleive one way or another. But I find the above interesting. Due to your desires/wants, you have created a god to give you what you want. How does that make it so? I find the above the same as saying "I want 3 magical wishes, and I need a genie in a bottle for that. No one can get 3 magical wishes without the genie". How is that any different?

• Shakita
    Shakita
    Some here on the board now claim that there is no God at all. What I would like to know is what happened from believing to not believing?

I don't claim there is no God. I question the existence of a loving God. Look around you, does the world reflect the qualities of a God who is proactive in his children's lives?

I try to keep an open mind on the existence of a higher power that created us. As far as God is concerned, I look at him as an absentee Father.....here for conception....then leaves the children to bring themselves up.

Mrs. Shakita

• JH
    JH

NW

How is that any different?
    I am just saying yes to a gift that I am being given.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit