Goodbye, Everyone!

by OrbitingTheSun 36 Replies latest jw friends

• OrbitingTheSun
    OrbitingTheSun

I have spoken with a number of you already about my journey this winter, but I thought I'd share the story with all of you before I leave this Thursday.

This fall I was asked by one of the professors at my school to go with her on a mission to Guatemala. Her proposal sounded very interesting, but I didn't think I would be able to go because of my family's financial situation (my widowed mother has been paying my tuition and my brother's tuition while we both attend private institutions). I told the professor that I would love to travel abroad eventually, but I did not have enough money saved to pay for a $1000+ trip in the next month. To my surprise, she already knew about my situation (from my Spanish composition professor) and was prepared to make an exception for me. She told me that the other students going with her were all at introductory level Spanish and that she needed someone with advanced Spanish speaking ability to translate for them and encourage them to interact with the people. If I was willing to do this, I could go on the trip for only $600 and receive credit for my work. I was thrilled to hear this idea because I love to teach and I love to travel even more!

So--now that you know how I got to go on the mission, I should probably tell you what I will be doing in Guatemala. My school offers traditional study abroad experiences, but we also have volunteer programs where the students travel abroad and have some sort of responsibility within the community. The reasoning behind these missions is that the only way to understand a culture is to immerse yourself in it. As a science major, I will be working in a hospital and doing environmental research in different areas. The others going on the trip (there are 9 other girls coming along) will be working in an orphanage and in a school. I am really excited about having the opportunity to bring goods and gifts to the people and learn about their lives and culture. Throughout our visit we will also be travelling to landmarks like the Mayan Ruins in Tikal and the colonial architecture in Antigua.

There are two aspects of this mission that I really believe in: 1) inculcating the spirit of compassion in young people and 2) doing so without a religious message.

Not to undermine the work of missionaries around the world, but people should be willing to travel and contribute without proclaiming the "good news" or promising impoverished natives that loving Jesus will somehow improve their lives. It is better, in my opinion, to be open-minded and show them that they matter regardless of their beliefs, and that their indigenous cultures are beautiful just as admirable as Western Culture (if not more so).

I will be returning at the end of January. I'll miss you guys, but I'll make sure to gather lots of stories and pictures to share when I come home! Goodbye for now, everyone!

Lots of Love, Orbit

• blondie
    blondie

Have a good, productive, and fun trip, Orbiting.

Blondie

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Orbiting:

Brilliant, and congratulations to you! I hope you have a wonderful time and gain many lasting memories.

people should be willing to travel and contribute without proclaiming the "good news" or promising impoverished natives that loving Jesus will somehow improve their lives. It is better, in my opinion, to be open-minded and show them that they matter regardless of their beliefs

Beautifully put.

Bon voyage!

Expatbrit

• kelpie
    kelpie

(((((((((((orbit))))))))))) from your down under aussie mate..

I hope you have the time of your life!!! Look forward to talking to you really soon

Love Kelps(of the so much in envy class)

• Skeptic
    Skeptic

Enjoy your trip, Orbit!

Richard

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

A few years ago I participated in a similar program in Costa Rica. It was a lot of fun. Have a great trip.

• Valis
    Valis

WOW! That's great for you. You know, that's the very kind of missionary work any good Apostate should be doing. And you will be learning and earning credit? Sheesh...I hope you have a wonderful time. You will find that real teaching gives you a sense of satisfaction that is incomparable to anything! You are likely to run into some Maya there so I thought this link might help along with some others.....do have a good time, work hard, and come back to tell us all about it. You will be so much more the whole person when its over.....oh and some parts might feel like they are Armageddon, but hey...whatever doesn't kill you or land you in Guatemalan jail will only make you stronger...Dog's speed and good luck!

This one might suprise you!

http://www.earthascending.com/time/mayaword.htm

and another..

http://www.gomilpitas.com/homeschooling/explore/maya.htm

I hope you return to us safely and not married to some Mayan King or Day Watcher! (for selfish reasons of course)

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

Edited by - Valis on 7 January 2003 20:21:45

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Orbiting the Sun.......how fitting your name is!

What a wonderful experience for you in all regards. My best wishes for you on your journey, may it be safe and full of adventure.

Katie

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Wow Orbiting, this is more than great! Great because of the life experience and service you'll be getting/giving during this trip, but also great because you have adopted such a beautiful philosophy. I simply couldn't agree with you more.

Promise me you'll share your pictures and experience when you get back, k?

Edited to add:

but I'll make sure to gather lots of stories and pictures to share when I come home!

uh, yeah... I can read, but sometimes I choose not to.

Edited by - SixofNine on 7 January 2003 20:38:15

• imanaliento
    imanaliento

Wish you the Best!!

we all will look forward to the pictures and future posts from you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit