I wonder if they are still a Jdubs

by William Penwell 16 Replies latest jw friends

• reporter
    reporter

No doubt, many through that time and since have sold their possessions, sacrificing life for the "sake of the good news". The thought was (except the disingenuous ones who thought about Armageddon would cancel their debts) that moving for the preaching work was supposed to mirror the first-century disciples and hence be a career approved by God. To be honest, though, much of the motivation was surrounding gaining everlasting life on a paradise earth, as opposed to "vindicating Jehovah's name." That's what I thought about, too. But deep down, I found it hard to imagine living with myself in a luxury home I had not bought, paid for, or built, at a "worldly person's" expense, in the "paradise earth" after Armageddon.

In Ray Franz' books, I appreciate the more pure motivation of larger universal issues, which bore out well in what he wrote.

When you have a conviction about something, it's easy to cut off in one's mind any other possible outcome, and just adamantly "root for the truth". It's bloody hard to shake that kind of thinking.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

This is just pedantic of me, but....

are Theocratic News items in KingdomMinistry
    I remember it used to be called Kingdom Service and I was born in 1973, so it had to have been changed a few years after that, it I was old enough to remember the change. So have they gone back and changed all the references to KM instead of KS?
  • William Penwell
    William Penwell

Wolfgirl,

You are correct it was called the Kingdom Service for sometime.It was always called The Kingdom Ministry and was changed to The Kingdom Service because of "New Light some time in the mid 70's which only lasted for a few years. It was changed back to Kingdom Ministry again because of more "New Light". I think this was something to do with Ray Franz because I recall the Dubs saying the change to Kingdom Service was due to the apostates influence and after the witch hunts of the early 80's it was changed back to Kingdom Ministry. I can't remember when the changes took place but it was around 1976 to 1982. Some others here maybe able to fill in why the change was made.

Will

Edited by - william penwell on 30 December 2002 14:11:46

• caligirl
    caligirl

Well, my parents joined up in 73-74 and they are still there. Thankfully, they never did anything stupid like selling their house or buying or borrowing things on the premise of not having to pay them back, though I am aware of several who cashed in life insurance policies and squandered the money, ony to end up in desperate financial trouble. I am aware of very few in the congregation that I grew up in that have left from that "generation" Most of their losses over the years were the younger ones, who were very young in 75 (like me) or were born afterwards. I am still holding out hope that my parents will see it while they still have 20-30 years of life left to enjoy.

• Wolfgirl
    Wolfgirl

Thanks, Will. I didn't know that it had been KM, then KS, then back to KM. Before my time, and like most R&F JWs, I didn't do too much research into past books...found it boring.

• LDH
    LDH

Lisa

Collector Class

• Roddy
    Roddy

As I was growing up I was rather a quiet one. I did good without fanfare. I rather missed out from being used in circuit assm programs, demonstrations, and talks. As I reflect back, it was probably a blessing.

Friends that where held up as examples in the circuit assm either faded out, had to be kicked out, or are barely hanging on. One sister that was used twice in a circuit assembly program for her stance in school and her pioneering is living in an intolerable marriage with her equally intolerable JW husband. Every brother I know who did a talk at the theocratic ministry at a circuit assembly years ago are depressed or has some kind of problem.

When I realized this, I stopped feeling passed-up anymore. Even felt a bit grateful. A few more years have passed, now I find the coincidence a bit scary.

Hanging low does have advantages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit