I wonder if they are still a Jdubs

by William Penwell 16 Replies latest jw friends

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

I was doing research on another topic and came acroos this article taken form the 1971 Kingdom Ministry. I was wondering how many of these good dubs are still selling this crap. Like the fellowin paragraph 6 that started to study and writes, "I am now selling my home and plan to move . . . " to where the need is greater." Warning for anyone that reads this, you better get out your barf bag,

*** km 2/71 1-2 Thrilling Times ***

Thrilling Times

"Thrilling, absolutely thrilling!" Is this not a comment frequently heard about the grand increases in Jehovahs work? The 1971 Yearbook report is thrilling, as are Theocratic News items in Kingdom Ministry concerning additional increases. As Jehovahs Christian witnesses we keenly feel the spirit of urgency that is surging throughout the ranks of his people in this most momentous, thrilling time of mans history.2 Tim. 4:2.

In most congregation territories more and more people express concern over the critical and terrifying problems plaguing this generation and mans failure to solve them. As a result, thousands of persons who would not take time to listen to us in the past, nor to read the Bible literature we offered, are now both listening and reading, and large numbers of them are also attending our meetings. It is thrilling, isnt it?

During February all of us want to continue to have a share in the thrilling work of helping others to learn of Jehovah and his provisions for salvation, in the Kingdom way. Just as The Watchtower has spiritually enlightened and strengthened us, we know its information will help others, and hence we are delighted to utilize every opportunity to offer a subscription for The Watchtower, with three booklets, for $1, or subscriptions for both The Watchtower and Awake!, with six booklets, for $2. Often double subscriptions are as readily obtained as single subscriptions. Writes a brother: "Recently I tried offering the two subscriptions. I reasoned that I could do it just about as briefly as one." What resulted? That morning he obtained two double subscriptions, a total of four subscriptions for the morning.

A vacation pioneer sister working in Michigan was thrilled to obtain nine subscriptions in one month from not-at-homes. What did she do? She left a Bible study folder where no one was at home in the morning and called back in the afternoon or evening. A good idea!

If you cannot be out in regular field service because of inclement weather, sickness, etc., or possibly have only a few minutes on occasion for witnessing, you might like to try the following suggestion: A sister selected names of householders from the phone directory, called and gave a brief witness, and then made the subscription offer. She was thrilled with the results. Eight subscriptions in one day! The next day she obtained two more subscriptions, as well as listing several prospects, by doing the same thing.

"I had never before been contacted by one of Jehovahs witnesses and had never seen a Watchtower or Awake! magazine," was part of the experience related by a newly baptized brother at a circuit assembly in New Jersey. How was he initially contacted? "A sister entered my place of business, . . . offered me the Watchtower and Awake! magazines." He accepted the magazines; at the sisters request a brother made a back-call, a study was started and six months later the businessman was baptized. Now he is thrilled to share the truth with others. In fact, he writes, "I am now selling my home and plan to move . . . " to where the need is greater. Yes, this helps us to appreciate the importance of store-to-store work and of following up all placements to start Bible studies.

When sending in subscriptions for the congregation, an overseer in Michigan was thrilled to write: "A brother decided to make calls upon all persons who had promised to obtain the subscription or who had shown any interest. To his good pleasure he was able to obtain twelve new subscriptions." Are you keeping record of all "subscription promises" and calling back?

Have you experienced the thrill of obtaining a subscription by following through promptly on expired-subscription slips? Publishers and pioneers with a Virginia congregation were thrilled to aid 80 percent to start their subscriptions again.

Yes, many are the ways new subscriptions are obtained. In addition to the above, lets keep in mind gift subscriptions, current and former Bible students, magazine route calls, relatives, friends and incidental witnessing. Too, throughout the Watchtower campaign it would be well to carry one of the pocket-size publications, such as the Truth book, so if people do not take the subscription, the book can be offered for 25 cents.

Without a doubt, we are privileged to be living in the most thrilling and momentous of all times! What joy we have in knowing the truth and having a part in making known to others that it is only Jehovahs kingdom through his Son Jesus Christ that will remedy the unsurmountable obstacles facing the world of mankind.1 Chron. 29:11-13.

[Blurb

on page 1]

Loyally advocate Gods Word.

[Blurb

on page 8]

Plan now to vacation pioneer.

Will

• iggy_the_fish
    iggy_the_fish

Poor people. The world really should have ended (for them, that is) in 1975. It must have broken their hearts when it didn't.

ig

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Great post William.

SPAZ

• willdabeerman
    willdabeerman

BLAGH!!!!!...... man that crap really makes me sick.and whats worse there are alot of people on this board (including myself) that were once like this.it really sux all these people are wasting thier lives now...BLAGH!

• ugg
    ugg

"SCARY"

• Scully
    Scully

If it weren't for the people who moved to where the need was great in the late 60s, my family would probably never have become JWs. The people who studied with my parents were from Vancouver, BC, and they followed the WTS's advice and moved to Quebec to start a congregation there. The first Sunday meetings I went to were held in someone's basement, with about 25-30 people all together. After 1975 came and went, all of these people - every last one of them - packed up and moved back West.

The same thing for my husband: he became a JW through someone who had moved to where the need was great. In 1971, the fellow gave up a job at GM Canada three years before he would have been eligible for a full pension, sold his house and moved to the Maritimes. He died in 1997, with nothing to show for it, barely a roof over his head. I really felt sad for him and his wife when I realized that their "golden years" were spent slaving for the WTS.

Love, Scully

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

My father-in-law bough a new VW Van and a bunch of stuff (my hubby says) thinking they would never have to PAY for it <GEEEEEEESH>!!!! They stayed in the dubs evern after this, and of course paid for the van. LOL

• onacruse
    onacruse

I don't think there ARE all that many left from then that are active. Several hundred thousand left or were ejected from the org between 1976 and 1982, and a lot of the rest have died during the almost 30 years since then. The 75ers are getting hard to find. Which, of course, works out just fine for the WTS, just like after 1914 and 1925. Get rid of the eyewitnesses, and you can spin the tale any way you want.

Craig

• Francois
    Francois

There are many horror stories, all based upon the Jehovah's Witnesses FALSE PROPHECY concerning 1975. In my town, a guy who had been a used car sales manager for a large dealership, borrowed $50,000.00 and lived large - knowing he wouldn't have to repay the loan.

He's still repaying the loan. He's past retirement age now, but he can't retire. He didn't bother to shop the loan and he's got one of those high interest suckers. It's eating him alive. When he should be kicked back under his grape vine and his fig tree sippin' his home-made Ripple, he's humping used cars still.

Reminds me of Obie Wan Kenobi, "Who's the bigger fool, the fool or the fool who follows him?"

francois

• gumby
    gumby

What joy we have in knowing the truth and having a part in making known to others that it is only Jehovahs kingdom through his Son Jesus Christ that will remedy the unsurmountable obstacles facing the world of mankind......... Yes ....making known to others that they won't be there...only we will....isn't that thrilling? (italicized mine.....can you tell? )

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit