The Thread that "kills" the WTS

by eyeslice 18 Replies latest jw friends

• eyeslice
    eyeslice
    Many opinions have been expressed on this board as to what is killing the Society today. I am positive that issues such as the UN scandal, the pedophile issue, etc. are having a negative effect and contributing to a general slackening off and sense of malaise amongst the rank and file. I am also sure that these issues are being glossed over and the loyal R&F will accept the explanations and the gloss that will be used to cover over these things.

There is one teaching though, that like a thread on a woolen jumper, if picked away at, causes the whole garment to fall apart. And that is the 1914 teaching.

What a dilemma this must be causing the hierarchy. The last time that the teaching on this was changed, in 1995 with the "new light" on the generation", many fell away. But here we are seven years later, and still no further new light. And, even if there were to be new changes to this doctrine, we would only see people leaving in droves, especially the under 40's, who are the next generation of potential elder's COs, etc.

But why is this the big problem for the teaching of Jehovah's Witnesses and likely to be the reason for the gradual demise of the whole organization? Let's have a look at some of the "1914" facts/issues;

• It is nearly 90 years since 1914. This is the equivalent to approximately 22 US presidential terms of office. Now what would you think about a President, elected to office who spent the whole of his presidency locked up in the Oval office, doing nothing but planning his next election campaign. Yet this is what is apparently happening with God's Kingdom, doing nothing, except organizing the preaching working.

• The "new light" on the generation has only clouded the issue. I don't understand it and I have been in the "truth" all my life! It is easier for me to argue there have been at least 4 generations since 1914. The generation in charge during 1914, typically politicians, generals and other leaders are in their 40s, 50s and 60s. All of that generation has passed away. Then, we have had the generation from post WWI to WWII and next the "Cold War Generation". Finally, we have the generation of the late 20th Century, such as Thatcher, Regan, Bush Snr even these are passing away, being replaced by the next generation, Bush Jnr., Blair and so forth. So, I can easily list 4 generations of influential people since 1914.

• If Christ's Kingdom wasn't established in 1914, the preaching work is no longer as urgent urgent. A turn around on the 1914 doctrine would not only large numbers leaving but even those who chose to stay would hardly be left zealous for preaching work. How many elders or elder's wives do you know who truly love the evangelizing work? Most I know are all too happy to skip the ministry for that all important elders' meeting.

• Traditionally, Christians have believed that Christ began ruling as King over the Christian congregation at the time of his resurrection and pouring out of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. Whilst, the Witnesses too believe this, they have lessened the importance of this by emphasis the coming his coming in Kingly power in 1914. Any change in emphasis would be a u-turn they couldn't simply pass off.

• Without 1914, Armageddon is not likely to be just round the corner.

• If Armageddon is not just round the corner, living forever on a paradise earth ,without first dying, is not going to happen for those alive today. The thought of dying in this system of things is already beginning to hit many with years of loyal devotion to the Society's teachings. Many have struggled with the thoughts and reality of their own parents' mortality and are now facing their own.

• It is going to be increasing difficult to bring new ones into the truth with the current 1914 doctrine. Can you imagine study say with a young couple in their mid 20s and discussing 1914? To them 1914 must be like the dark ages! This must be an issue; I have seen virtually no new ones come into the truth over the past 10 years or so who didn't have some sort of existing family relationship or ties with some one already in the Witnesses.

• Without the 1914 doctrine, there is no support for the faithful and discreet slave doctrine. This slightly undermines the authority of the Governing Body!

• Without the 1914 doctrine, the Devil has not been "cast down" to the earth. The problems we see today are as they have ever been. No composite sign of the last days here then.

• The 1914 doctrine must have a finite life. We approximately 10 years away from the 100th anniversary of 1914. Surely, it can't hold any water after that?

My guess is we will see no radical change to the 1914 doctrine in the near future. The new "Worship the Only True God", the book designed to study with new ones, is very vague about 1914. See my comments on this from last summer.
    http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.aspx?id=33171&site=3

The rank and file will stumble on becoming less and less motivated by the preaching work and more and more unclear about the real "truth which accords with godly devotion" (Titus 1:1).

Edited by - eyeslice on 24 December 2002 9:9:30 for some pretty poor html and typos

Edited by - eyeslice on 24 December 2002 9:17:39

• Room 215
    Room 215

The Society's dilemman witrh regard to the 1914 dogma is like the proverbial guy who has hold of a mad dog byt the ears: he can't very well hold on forever, yet he knows he'll get eaten alive if he lets go. My sensation is that they would love to downgrafde the date's imprtance, but fear--probably rightly-- that any overt move to do so would damge heir credibility more severaly than anything they've done thus far.

The approach of the New Year 2003 is another unsettling reminder of just how close the centenary date of 2014 looms on the horizon-- what do they do then?

Happy New Year!

• dmouse
    dmouse

I wholly agree. '1914' and its associated teachings is a ticking time-bomb that will not go away easily.

Soon, within 15 years, there will be no one left who was alive at that time. Even now, I would imagine that only 1% of the existing population was born on or before that date. The generation HAS passed away.

The current magazines are still plugging 1914 though, I guess there is still some fight left in the old guard. Once the old-timers with any clout die off then the next generation of GB will probably abandon the 1914 doctrine.

As you say, 1914 already seems so long ago - it has a finite shelf-life. Looking at past examples I would expect the society to drop it without warning in 2015. And millions will swallow whatever bullshit the GB come out with, so I don't expect even that to 'kill' the society.

• Shakita
    Shakita

Hi Eyeslice,

Excellent post. The 1914 doctrine has become the undoing of the WT. When they tried to gloss it over by introducing their "new light" concerning this generation most in the congregations were totally befuddled, confused and just plain lost. Continuing to chip away at the 1914 doctrine will be more effective in more JW's leaving than all the other controversial doctrines which they have in place.

I too have noticed that most of the new converts are coming from the children of JW's and not from the general public. My kids seem to be clueless about the World War II generation, let alone the generation of World War I. I agree that to young ones in their twenties, it does indeed seem to be like the dark ages. I also think more and more of the general public are on to the witnesses and their tactics. Hopefully, less of them will succumb to Wt propaganda.

Mr. Shakita

• Gig
    Gig

Maybe we should prophesy to as many JW's as possible the end of the 1914 teaching. We saw, far in advance, the coming new light. Making sure we remind them that their "one true religion" claim is based mostly on 1914/1919. We might also add that we expect the identity of Christ as Michael the Archangel to change as well. The newer books are evasive of this teaching too. Tell them when it happens, whether sooner or later, that they have your number if they'd like any more light. In the meantime gather all the quotations that spoke so confidently about 1914 and their "appointment" in 1919.

This is far and away the best feeling I get about the WTS, their tragic end.

• Satanus
    Satanus

In the wt's early days, it had bigger crises than this 1914 issue. It suffered, but survived and grew. I expect the same thing again. What always happens, is that there is a turnover of membership because of people leaving or dying. The new ones either won't know, understand or care about how important 1914 was. How many dubs know or care about the 1874 date, when christ was supposed to have come (see below). I think the wt will continue for at least a couple more generations.

*1874:

Christ's presence in 1874 (Studies In The Scriptures, Vol.2,
    p.239)

Second advent in 1874 (Studies, Vol. 3, p.234).

"Our Lord... is now present, since October 1874 A.D...."
    (Studies, Vol. 4, p.521).

"Barbour convinced Russell that Christ actually returned
    invisibly in 1874" (Studies, Vol. 7, p.54).

"Fall 1874 A.D. Second Advent of the Lord" (Studies, Vol. 7,
    p.68).

"Eighty proofs that the Lord's Second Advent occurred in 1874"
    (Studies, Vol.7, p.68-71).

"The Millennium began in 1874, with the Return of Christ"
    (Studies, Vol. 7, p.386).

"The second coming of the Lord therefore began in 1874"
    (Creation, p.239, early editions; p.310 later editions).

"The Scriptural proof is that the second presence of ... Christ
    began in 1874 A.D." (Prophecy, p.65).

"...the second presence of the Lord... dates from 1874"
    (Watchtower, 12/1/1916, p. 5998).

"1874... the time of the Lord's return... " (Watchtower 3/1/1923,
    p.67).

"...Jesus... has been [present] since 1874..." (Watchtower
    1/1/1924, p.5).

SS

• winsome
    winsome

Eyeslice,

As you suggest, above all other atrocities committed by the Governing Body of JWs (NGO, Child Abuse), it seems the teaching of 1914 and its faltering as a core teaching for JWs for over 120 years, could spell certain "death" for the G.B. and company. I think, they know this. And their recent "activies" suggest they are preparing accordingly. I say this since they receive all of the negative mail and comments that we, nor the general populace is not aware of. But I think their recent "activities" give them away.

For instance, recently it has been made known the Governing Body plans to "liquidate" many tangible assets, buildings in New York city, like they did with the Stanley Theatre a little while back, to the tune of some $35 million we recall.

This seems to be their overall GETAWAY plan. To escape with the loot to "Patterson".

You see, what we are hearing now is that all of the Brooklyn buildings, storage and living quarters will be sold to the City of New York. (The deal is already in the works and approved by city official, we are told.) If this plays out correct, it seems their plans are to quickly and quietly SELL or liquidate all printing presses, hard assets and equipment? Why?

Its no longer needed anymore. Also, they don't need these huge storage building facilities (since they won't do the printing of literature directly anymore). They instead want to "farm out" the printing work to outside sources. And with this move, this of course means, they definitely plan to send as many "bethelites", all non-essential ones, home as soon as possible, by the 1,000s, worldwide. Releived of printing duties, the Bethel Staff can be reduced considerably. All will be left will be an "editorial staff" of writers or dest top publishing, and a supervisory staff in Service Department (aka Dictators, Rulers) for the congregation's so-called "spiritual" direction.

As it stands, it seems all the Bethel "Heavies" live at Patterson now anyway. And it has already been announced that tons of more money will be poured into the "Patterson" facility during the next few years. Which means, the Patterson Home will be the final "rest home" for the Governing Body, and small Bethel Staff of Corporate Officers, covering 6 WT Corporations mainly. These Corporate Officers number a little less than 40 men. Add to that, the few "slaves" needed to keep the facility up and running, servants for the "heavies" if you will, and we can say: "1914 LIE-MISSION ACCOMPLISHED". The WTS and its "Heavies" fully succeeded in ripping off the worldwide brotherhood of JWs with this "lie" teaching, by the millions, maybe billions!

You are right, 1914 is dead, even now. The ignorant rank and file still doesn't get it. But the Bethel "heavies" do. So, since they see the "hand writing on the wall", they are not going to wait the year 2015 and hope they make it to that year. No, but they are already running to STEAL ALL THE ASSETS and monies, liquidate them as soon as possible, so that they can be assured to have them for their wicked use, for their self-preservation! Their own lavish-living, at Patterson of course. They need the money, all of it, for that, all the while keeping the rank and file in complete darkness about the future demise of this wondrous "teaching", with the JW "brothers" [aka "loyal fools" or "slaves"] no wiser.

So, the Bethel "heavies" know the end is coming, the end of the "1914 Teaching". In fact, already its "Day" has come. And with the end of that particular "lie" being revealed, forces all this running and hidding of themselves we see today, on the G.B. parts. This realization and coming aftermath is what motivates the G.B. today in their decision-maing process. So we see them "preparing" for that dastardly day, when they cannot "fool the masses" and teach this "lie" anymore.

We see direct "evidence" of their ESCAPE PLAN. We see the preparation going on right now. The Governing Body and Staff are certainly preparing for the demise of the 1914 Teaching, right now, even as we speak, without the rank and file ever taking a first notice or look at their cleverly STEALING, of perhaps $$$ billions from the brotherhood in general for their own selfish use.

winsome

Edited by - winsome on 24 December 2002 11:22:32

Edited by - winsome on 24 December 2002 11:27:58

• Farkel
    Farkel

Excellent comments from all!

What amazes me to no end is this "Bible-Based(tm)" religion is aware that Jesus said "THIS generation will not pass away until all these things occur," and he said those words directly to his own followers. Even a big dummy like me can recognize the fact word word "this" is present tense, not future tense.

So, either Jesus was lying to his own believers who trusted every word he said, or his words were fulfilled once-and-for-all two THOUSAND years ago.

Which is it, dear Governing Body, and why have you lied so long about it?

Farkel

Edited by - Farkel on 24 December 2002 13:27:29

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I figure as long as the WT prints magazines, there will be JW's that will believe no matter what to distibute them. Very few will join and a solid core will believe irregardless of gaping holes in doctrine until they die.

Truth matters very little to the average JW so I see the 1914 doctrine almost becoming irrelevant in the bigger picture. It should matter, but I don't think it will.

Path

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Has the WTS ever used Jeremiah 20:7 as a yeartext?

O LORD, thou hast deceived me, and I was deceived; thou art stronger than I, and hast prevailed: I am in derision daily, every one mocketh me.

Tick tock, tick tock....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit