Believers, why does God need your flattery?

by IronGland 51 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Well, we were created in God's image.

What does that mean, and why do you believe it to be true?

• meadow77
    meadow77

Six, I'm a christian, and in the bible it says that God created us in his image. I believe that means many things. Among them that emotions we have are natural and God has them too. I don't believe it to be a physical thing. So, people have a natural desire to be praised for things they do, and enjoy adulation. I was just expressing that I'm sure God is the same way. It was also sorta tongue in cheek.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

. It was also sorta tongue in cheek.

kinda like citing the bible as god's thoughts eh?

It's funny, I'm basically an atheist, maybe agnostic on my more wishy washy days.. but on those days, I dont' worry in the least that god finds me anything less than appropriately grateful for life and this earth.

• aChristian
    aChristian

Hi Rem,

I hope all is well for you. You wrote, "And obedience just happens to involve worship." To which I ask, "What is worship?" Doesn't worshipping someone in reality simply mean to hold that person in extremely high regard, more so than anyone else? Don't all parents ask their young children to regard them and their instructions in just such a way, for their childrens' own good, because they know what is best for their children? Why then do some feel it is wrong for God to ask us to hold Him in extremely high regard, more so than anyone else, for our own good, since He knows what is best for us?

• rem
    rem

aChristian,

Doing well. Thanks!

Regarding your analogy, I know my parents don't expect adulation from me. Yes, they expected me to live by their rules, but their rules didn't include idolizing them (let's not water down the word worship, either). In fact, my parents would love me unconditionally whether I thought highly or lowly of them.

Personally, I gain more satisfaction from recognition from my peers or superiors than from others. But if god is lonely up there, he's gotta take it where he can get it, i guess.

rem

Edited by - rem on 17 December 2002 0:56:14

• onacruse
    onacruse
    I dont' worry in the least that god finds me anything less than appropriately grateful for life and this earth.

Now, from a part-time atheist/agnostic, that's an enigmatic statement if ever there was one. Maybe just obtuse? How about a double-negative affirmative?

LOL

Craig (of the still investigating class)

• meadow77
    meadow77

REM-I can appreciate your point of view about parents not expecting adulation, but with all due respect, you must not have a southern mother.

Edited by - meadow77 on 17 December 2002 1:48:39

• Brumm
    Brumm
    but with all due respect, you must not have a southern mother.

baaaaaaaawl

• vanilia
    vanilia

aChristian,i agree, but i think the reason alot of people have a problem is that there is no love in letting billions of people suffer sometimes in the most dreadful circumstances, for thousands of years, all because 2 people made a mistake. is that fair?

• Realist
    Realist

hello meadow,

do you believe in the literal bible account with God creating the world as we see it today?

PS: are you the person on the left or the right of your nice picture? :-)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit