Another quick poll:

by Monster 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Monster
    Monster

Good morning everyone.

Not trying to force any of you to tell your ages, but how many of you were around durning the 1975 scandle?

Did you believe the world would really end?

What did you give up waiting for the big A?

What were your opposing families like towards you?

Did you hide food thinking you would need it later?

Last, what happened with your lives after the big A didn't happen?

I'm going to go now and put that drug called coffee in me, busy day,bbl

Peace James

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

how many of you were around durning the 1975 scandle? Make that "scandal"!! Sure was. I'm old, you see.

Did you believe the world would really end? No, I recall being in earnest discussion with other elders at Bethel and I was the "odd one out". I didn't 'not believe' it, but I didn't believe it either.

What did you give up waiting for the big A? I wasn't, so I didn't.

What were your opposing families like towards you? Never had an opposing family.

Did you hide food thinking you would need it later? Nope.

Last, what happened with your lives after the big A didn't happen? It carried on much as it always did. Of course, we "knew" the Big A was "real soon".

Cheers, Ozzie

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Did you believe the world would really end? I sure did believe it.

What did you give up waiting for the big A? A good portion of my life.

What were your opposing families like towards you? All Witnesses

Did you hide food thinking you would need it later? No we were told it was not necessary.

Last, what happened with your lives after the big A didn't happen? The 1975 stupidity pushed me to the brink. The oral sex stupidity pushed me over the edge

• Country Girl
    Country Girl

I sure did believe it. ; I spent my entire 6th and 7th grade years trying to get "good enough" to get baptized, but my Mother wouldn't let me because she said I wasn't mature enough. ; I was deathly afraid of being struck down in the fall of 75. ; After that, I wasn't as worried about it. ; But I did see brothers and sisters give up their whole lifestyles and move to "where the need was greater" ... losing their houses, jobs, businesses, etc. ; I can't believe the WT covers over and blames it on the mistaken notions of the rank and file.</P>

CG

• Robdar
    Robdar

Good Afternoon Monster. In response to your questions:

No I didn't. Not completely. But I did worry. My father was considered by the other elders to be wrong to remind the congregation that nobody knew when Armageddon would come except Jehovah. The elders that went deep into debt, thinking that they would not have to repay after Armageddon, resented my father for not having done the same.

Even though I was young and agreed with my father that nobody knew when it would happen, it was still nerve wracking because everybody else believed it and I couldn't help catching some of the anxiety. After all, the FDS was God's own mouth piece, right? What if my family wasn't showing enough faith in Jehovah to listen to his organization? That would mean that my whole family, including my pets, would be destroyed by Jehovah's own hand.

My peace of mind. I still have anxiety sometimes.

What were your opposing families like towards you?

Same as always. They always felt that my side of the family was crazier than pet raccoons.

Nope.

Nothing, but I did breathe a little easier. And my father had enough humility to not say "I told you so".

Thanks for asking.

Robyn

• PurpleV
    PurpleV

I was a junior in high school in 1975, having been raised a JW. I guess I sorta believed it would.

Going to college (on a full scholarship)

What were your opposing families like towards you

At midnight new years eve Dec 31 1975 my Catholic cousin called my mother and laughed his ass off saying "Well?????"

No

I was relieved. I didn't want it to happen in the first place. I got really "worldly" after that.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

Not trying to force any of you to tell your ages, but how many of you were around durning the 1975 scandle?

I was really little at the time - so don't remember too well

Did you believe the world would really end? Absolutely

What did you give up waiting for the big A? Education

What were your opposing families like towards you? Wasn't allowed to associate with my father too much - found out later he loved me anyways.

Did you hide food thinking you would need it later? Never actually did it - but had alot of fantasies about digging big holes out in the backyard to "hide" stuff - & was jealous of all the kids who had those bomb bunkers leftover from the cold war.

Last, what happened with your lives after the big A didn't happen? Don't know - still waiting on the rest of my life - so far its been an okay trip.

• drahcir yarrum
    drahcir yarrum

Did I believe the world would end in 1975? Yes, I was a true believer.

What did I give up waiting for the Big A? Short term, I didn't bone the hot looking worldly neice of the Witness man I worked for, and she wanted me to. Long term: I pioneered then went to Bethel and not to college. Finally after many years I did go to college and finished my bachelors degree at the age of 39 and my graduate degree at the age of 43. I also married the wrong woman the first time in the belief that I should only "marry in the Lord".

What were opposing families like towards me? I think they just shook their heads wondering why I was wasting my youth on such bullshit.

Did you hide food thinking you would need it later? NO

What happened wih my life after the big A didn't happen? At first I bought into the WTS explanation that some of us were running ahead of the FDS with our 1975 beliefs. Finally, I realized in 1984, after reading Ray Franz C of C, that it was all a big pile of bat dung and I had been misled. I married a non-JW, have 3 fine teenaged kids (well, in most respects) and life goes on.

• Jade
    Jade

I was a kid and I still truly believed the end was coming. My mom used to tell us that we would be living in the woods when the day came. I was scared all the time.

• morrisamb
    morrisamb

Not trying to force any of you to tell your ages, but how many of you were around durning the 1975 scandle? I was there!!

Did you believe the world would really end? Hell, yeah!

What did you give up waiting for the big A? At first I thought you asked, when did you give up waiting? That would be last year! But you said, what did you give up? Well, more than anything else...inner peace.

What were your opposing families like towards you? They liked me. They really liked me!

Did you hide food thinking you would need it later? I think I ate everything in sight.

Last, what happened with your lives after the big A didn't happen? Since I was 15 at the time, I went to school like usual...My brother though, had quit school in '73 to pioneer...he was only 16! I remember thinking that was ridiculous! As for the big picture, the truth is, talk of the end in '75 had no impact on me whatsoever...we were living in Armageddon with my abusive Father..so the big doom day seemed something to look forward to!

Edited by - morrisamb on 10 December 2002 20:45:46

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit