Thank you. Do you know how valuable you are?

by concerned mama 11 Replies latest jw friends

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Two and a half years ago, my daughter got in the car and asked, "Mom, what's a Jehovahs Witness?" and our lives changed. Like most people out in the world, I wasn't sure what a JW was. Let's see, they go to church on Saturday...no, that's the Seventh Day Adventists. Oh yeah, they don't stand up for "O Canada", and hand out those weird little magazines.

Her reason for asking got more serious, and so, of course, I dug a bit deeper in my search for information on this mysterious group.

I started looking on the internet and was blown away by the negativity of so many of the websites I found. I've always been pretty flexible about religion. I have friends who are Jewish, friends who are Pentecostals, friends who are moderate Moslems, friends who aren't religous in any way at all, what could be so different? I thought, in fairness to the boy, I better find some neutral sites, and I looked, and I lookedand there really isnt much to be found. You know, when 90% of what you find on the internet is people who have left the religion and HATE the organization, you really start to wonder about that group and what has happened to create such an extreme reaction.

What I did find, about the religious doctrine, explained some of the theological differences, the cross versus the stake, why the no celebrating, and lots of Bible/doctrinal stuff that went right over my head. They shun their kids! Are they nuts? Headship? What the heck is that? Disfellowshiping , goats, sheep what on earth are they talking about? I dont know if all of you ex-JWs have any idea HOW LITTLE the outside world knows about Jehovahs Witnesses, and how totally alien the JW world is.

What I couldn't figure out was cultural information, how Witnesses actually lived their lives. Ok, so they go door to door. How on earth could teenagers do such a humiliating thing, what if they ran into school friends? What on earth could give parents or a religion so much control over kids who looked normal/ average on the surface? How could a parent who is extolling how well behaved everyone is in this organization, have a kid who is out drinking at age 14? Something didn't add up? A bit more than a year ago, I found this forum. I read and read and read, and I was really scared. I had NEVER posted on the internet. Isn't that one of the thing you tell your kids not to do? How do you do it, what do you say, how much, will people answer me? Am I suppose to answer back? I posted my first thread.

I have learned about the incredible mind control. There is such a dark side to this cult. I have learned about the unbelievable deceptiveness, that is so much a part of a religion where appearances count so much. I have learned about headship, and shunning, unnecessary deaths, sexual values, and abuse, discouragement of education.....so much that wouldn't happen without the mind control. The power of the double life, where someone can say and do things and hide what is really in their heart, and so much of life is a lie. I learned about how confusing, frusterating, sad and lonely the life of a JW teenager can be. I understand that unhappy, confused boy so much better now.

I have also learned that there are good people who are JW, who are happy in their lives, and can't see the dark side. I hate the things that they would be willing to do for their faith, but they aren't bad people. Some will see the light, and some will live their lives happily in their closed community.and some will be torn and confused for years.

Thank you, all of you, for your patience, for your understanding, for you willingness to be open. Thank you for your answers to my questions. Thank you for supporting each other. I have learned so much...even from the bickering and flame wars...even from the closed thread about dry "ahem".

Somehow, I want to thank you and beg you to continue your role in letting "worldly" people see into the life of a Jehovahs Witness. When some concerned parent or lovesick person posts about how to deal with their JW boyfriend/girlfriend, it is so important that they hear from you what they may be getting into, and how to handle it. They may not post again, they may not answer right away, they may not appear to be taking in what you are saying. But you are giving them the right information, and most people in such a confusing relationship take time to work it through, no matter what religion they are. Love, after all, isnt very logical. There are so many lurkers out there, reading and wondering what to do. I have heard from several of them, and what you say is so IMPORTANT and VALUABLE. It is so hard for non-JWs to recognize what a totally separate, bizarre world the Jehovahs Witness lives in. Please be patient with them.

This is not a dramatic goodbye, but it is definitely time for a thank you and a heartfelt plea to continue your good work. Simon and Angharad, you are terrific people and thank you for providing this forum. " Runningman" and "Mindfield", and one kind undercover, British friend who must remain un-named, you have all been wonderful supports and endlessly patent with my fussing and questions. All of you nice people out there, THANK YOU.

Edited by - concerned mama on 4 December 2002 10:56:10

Edited by - concerned mama on 4 December 2002 15:15:31

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Hey, no problem. The result is its own reward.

JWs feel good when they convert someone. Well, it feels even better to de-convert an existing member or vaccinate a potential one.

• Simon
    Simon

(((((concerned mama)))))

I'm so glad you got some answers and some help from this forum and I know you have in turn helped and offered advice to others in a similar situation.

We'd certainly hate to lose touch with you ('cause if we ever make it over there, you're first on the invite to our 'apostafest') but I can understand you not having as intense an interest in JW things without the family involvement.

Hope everyone there is doing well and enjoying life

• Angharad
    Angharad

((((((((((concerned mama)))))))))

I'm so glad you were able to find the information you needed to help your daughter.

It was great to meet you and your lovely family when we were in Canada, hopefully we can meet up again soon

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Simon and Ang, 
    It was fun meeting you and Angharad and Liam and Dylan., and I accept the invitation. 
     Time to get those immigration papers filled out!
     You are planning to live close to the mountains so we can all ski together, right?
     six times down the bunny hill and then into the chalet to warm up. lol Just wait till you have 
    your first white Christmas here!!
    Life is just terrific right now, and I am looking forward to Christmas and a holiday with my family. 
    I really can't emphasize how much I learned here helped her. I could predict how he would react in many situations because of JW training, 
    and it gave my advise and support to her real credibility. My daughter still feels some affection for the boy, but has moved on, and is enjoying grade 10, 
    dancing, and her million and one new friends I am so relieved, but still feel sad for him. 
    Runningman, 
    You will have to join us with your family on the slopes; It would be great to meet all of you 
    in person.

PS I don't think I will ever understand this formatting stuff. I keep messing it up.

Edited by - concerned mama on 4 December 2002 12:6:26

• jgnat
    jgnat

bttt

What wonderful things to say. They are so true, and I wish I had said them. I am glad I have found a local friend because of this board, and I hope to meet you face to face one day.

You are so right about how easy it is to find negative websites on the WTS. The other day, my daughter was considering joining Watkins, but was afraid they might be a pyramid scheme. I told her, "give me a minute, we can find out right away". I did a quick google search associating Watkins with pyramid and other nasty words. No hits. I said, "You have nothing to worry about. The same search for Jehovah's Witnesses will give you tons of hits."

At that very moment, my honey was walking by. "Hey!"

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((((((((Concerned Mama))))))))))))

I remember talking with you over email about your daughter. I'm not on the board as much as I used to be so I don't have the latest update, but I hope she's doing well!

I thank you for your curiosity! Too many people think this organization is just a harmless quirky little religion. Far from it! I love seeing you ask a million questions in order to protect your daughter from heartache. Every parent should be like you!

I do everything in my power to educate my friends from work, church, and other places on the harms it can cause to a family. Most of my friends know I haven't seen my parents except for twice in the last 13 years. My brothers once. Then they hear that it's my parents choice to not see ME or talk to ME. Everyone is always horrified that a religion would have that much control over someone. I'm not horrified of course since that's how I was raised...I knew no strangeness about this behavior...it was expected. But today I am disgusted in a way that you or any other non-JW could never understand. A disgust for someone I love deeply is a very strange feeling indeed!

I thank you for having the courage to be an "outsider" on this forum and still have compassion for those like us. (Especially during the flame wars!) It is kind "worldly" people like you that have literally saved my life at some low points. That kindness and compassion is not found in the Kingdom Halls. Seeing you and others in our lives show true Christian love gives us hope that there is a better life out there after exiting the Watchtower. That it's not all Satan's world like the Governing Body wants us to think.

So see...you are just as valuable to us as we are to you!

Love,

Andi

Edited by - Billygoat on 7 December 2002 11:20:13

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage
    I dont know if all of you ex-JWs have any idea HOW LITTLE the outside world knows about Jehovahs Witnesses, and how totally alien the JW world is.

Absolute true statement! This has been my experience also. The average "worldly" person has no idea was exists behind the table displays and annoying visits to their homes. When I explain the pain the has been caused to my family because of DFing and shunning, the reaction is complete horrified shock. They just can't understand that I have family that wants nothing to do with me just because I'm not a JW. They don't understand the mind control and absolute loyality that is demanded of WTS members.

I'm glad you came here, ConcernedMama. I have always enjoyed your posts and unique perspective.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Take care,

Andee

• larc
    larc

Concerned moma, you should be very proud of yourself. I wish all parents would take the considerable time that you did to find out information about a religion that could drasticly change their child's life, and the their future relationship with that child. I am sure you are a valueable asset to your friends and neighbors in educating them on the dangers of this religion. You are a fine example of what can and should be done to inoculate the young against making bad choices. You should get the mother of the year award!

• waiting
    waiting

Thank you for such high commendations, concerned momma (even though they weren't directed towards moi)

There are those on the web who have been here literally, since the beginning of the web. The Old Warriors. Most of the doctrinal research was done by them - and it's terrific. This would include dismantling the disfellowship & shunning rule, life/death from blood transfusions, amongst so much more.

I think the forums provide links to all that, along with discussion. But what else the forums provide is a link to humanity - for jw's, xjw's, and people like you.

We forget just how important this fragile system is to us. We need real lives (in 3D) - but some of us need this also. For an unspecified amount of time.

Thanks to all who make it possible.

waiting

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit