Eminem and censorship

by Uni girl 67 Replies latest jw friends

• mommy
    mommy

Jan,
    I agree with what you said 100%.
    Sf Jim,
    Maybe a disclaimer would work, as a matter of fact I think there is one on his album. Like I said I heard the edited version v/s the unedited. When I did hear the unedited version I turned it off, I personally don't care for the use of cuss words to make a point.
    Walt Disney World in Florida is and always will be a "family" destination. My friend took her children here and had to answer some questions to them, that she thought they were to young to ask. Such as,"Why is that man kissing that other man, Why are they holding hands?" It seems that she went on the weekend that the Gay and Lesbians were having Weekend at Mickey Land. The disclaimer she recieved? A small sign upon entering the park after she purchased her tickets. BTW could you see dragging a 3 and 4 year old out of Disney world without riding a ride? She never thought that a family vacation would bring about such questions from her children.
    So this type of in your face attitude is everywhere, including the music we listen to. I agree that people should be able to show affection in public, and have the freedom to do so. I also agree that people have the freedom to sing about what they want. But as I said before, you are only backsliding when you attempt to yell freedom for me and not you.
    love
    wendy

• newguy
    newguy

SFJim,

Gee, how do you feel about the censorship of gay people on television, say showing two men on primetime tongue-kissing? there are some people in this country who think little kids shouldn't see THAT.

there are some people who think what happened to Mathhew Sheppard was a good start. they have as much right to say that as gays do to march in parades.

well, if you don't want thugs attacking you, I sincerely suggest carrying a handgun. They wouldn't get a chance to make the same mistake twice.

smile
    newguy

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

Just a question out of curiosity, no sarcasm involved. What rights do gay people fight for? is it acceptance? Just wondering.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Newguy:

Gee, how do you feel about the censorship of gay people on television, say showing two men on primetime tongue-kissing? there are some people in this country who think little kids shouldn't see THAT.

Is there a difference between two people of the same sex, or two people of the opposite sex tongue kissing on prime time shows? I personally don't believe that children should be exposed to ANY of that. Pardon me, but I think your homophobia is showing.

d0rkyd00d:

What rights do gay people fight for? is it acceptance?

I can't speak for all gay people, but the right that I fight for is to simply be accepted as a human being, being allowed to love another person of the same sex. I can't take my personal fight as far as acceptance. While there are others who I'm sure would strongly disagree with me, I would be content with merely being left alone without harrassment.

Mommy:
    Why do you think the children at Disney World had questions about a man holding hands or kissing another man? Could it possibly be that the child was somehow exposed to the parents' belief that this is somehow wrong? Why, then, didn't they express the same curiosity about heterosexual couples. Do you see my point?

• mommy
    mommy

Sf Jim,
    Yes I see your point. It is ok for parents to choose what type of music is appropriate for their children to listen to. But they have no say at all, when they decide to discuss sexuality with them.
    Good point.
    wendy

• Tina
    Tina

Hi Jan,
    whoa Ziggy Stardust lol,I well remember that album,played it to death "> (wasn't Suffragette City on that one?)
    My little friends and I knew,(never entered our minds) that bowie was never anything else but bowie,,,,that was fantasy.......
    Hate messages arent fantasy.....and I'm glad you think American youth are so discerning to know the difference, cuz I certainly dont think so.
    I'm not speaking of censorship ,I hoping for better parameters considering the age of those listening to that stuff.
    Someone mentioned disclaimer stickers,I think thats good.....I hope all parents (now,Im not saying they all dont) would take the time to listen to what they're kids music is saying,and see if they understand irony and metaphor,explain things to them, Some parents do a fine job of this,some cant be bothered.It's like literature,I wouldnt hand a 9 yr old kid The White Hotel,or say,Lolita and expect them to understand what's it saying,,,,a little older and yes,they most likely would have a better sense of them.So,Im saying music like lit. is age appropriate . Children go thru specific cognitive phases of developemnt and learning.Once cognitive distortions are are set in place,it's not an easy task to undo them, Cognitive distortions such as homophobia,violence as acceptable,etc.....if that were true,everyone would come of age with none of these mindsets,but they don't do they?
    Anyway,I appreciated all the views in the thread,whether I agree or not,the discussion itself was an exercise of intellectual freedom :>
    regards,Tina

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    Yes I see your point. It is ok for parents to choose what type of music is appropriate for their children to listen to. But they have no say at all, when they decide to discuss sexuality with them.
    Good point.

Wendy, perhaps I'm getting a bit tired of this thread and I'm reading more into what people are actually saying, but I believe I detect sarcasm in your statement.
    Let me kindly remind you that while there is nothing wrong with parents discussing sexuality with their children per se, there is something dramatically wrong with instilling a hatred of difference in children. Homosexuality is not a choice. If it were, do you think I would have deliberately chosen an orientation where, just by my very existence, I am opening myself up to verbal taunting and physical violence? I did not fill out a questionnaire before I was born and check the "yes" box next to the question "Do you want to be gay?". I am playing the hand I was dealt and trying to get by in a world filled with prejudice.
    Giving guidance to a child regarding their form of entertainment is definitely a parental right. Teaching prejudice and hatred is NO ONE's right.

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

All people have a right to live their lives without fear. I wonder if everyone would be upholding Eminem's right to free speech if he were castigating blacks and Jews? The right to free speech must be weighed against the rights of others to simply live. I honestly don't feel that hate lyrics do anything to rid our society of prejudice and bigotry.

• Tina
    Tina

Hi RHW,
    AMEN!! Simply and brilliantly said! I was trying to say in earlier post what you just did so well! regards,Tina

• mommy
    mommy

Sf Jim,
    You are right, I was being sarcastic. I am sorry, really I am. I have never walked in your shoes, and have no idea what it is like. Therefore I have no right to tell you who you should censor.
    love,
    wendy
    RHW,
    What a wise, wise woman you are The Goddess looks upon me with favor? (questioning nevously)
    wendy

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit