Eminem and censorship

by Uni girl 67 Replies latest jw friends

• mommy
    mommy

Mommy has listened to Eminem!
    My cousin lived with me last year and I was introduced to a new world of music. I found most of his songs funny. I kept thinking this guy can't be serious. He reminded me of Rosanna Danna from Saturday night live, going WAY over the edge to make you realize how close we are to it. Then one day someone brought over the unedited version of his songs.....I didn't even listen to the first song. Much can be accomplished without the use of language.
    I agree with you dorkydood(love the name btw) People are going to do whatever they want to do, with or without outside influence.
    wendy

• mommy
    mommy

SF Jim,
    I appreciate that you are a gay man in America. But I have to agree with the Newguy, your censorship on Eminem, and others views....is really giving the ok for them to censor you. This is a land of free speech, but everyone seems to think that they can draw the line on how far free speech goes. Well in my eyes...why have free speech?
    wendy

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I'm sorry, Mommy, I don't understand. Please explain.
    It's all right for Eminem to censor me, but I cannot do likewise?
    Yes, where indeed does one draw the line?

• d0rkyd00d
    d0rkyd00d

I've always thought of music like movies. Many rappers talk a lot about killing people and the like. Many movies feature people killing each other. In both situations, you know nobody is actually being hurt or killed. So when you censor the music, you can also edit the movies. edit the school's sex ed program. and edit schools, making sure nobody cusses.....

"No cool quote yet. But I'll think of one soon."

• mommy
    mommy

SF Jim,
    Sorry, let me try this again. In your comment:

By allowing such hatred to flourish, the recording industry is giving the green light to impressionable youth to carry out their hatred and prejudices in ways which would have been unheard of just a few short years ago.

I am hearing you say that because it is allowed by society to be heard on the radio..people will be more willing to go out and commit these acts.
    I totally disagree, we are living in a society where everyone is fighting for their rights. You are fighting for your rights as a gay man. Recording artists are fighting for their rights to sing whatever they want. My point is, if you are trying to censor his freedom...you are in reality also fighting your own work that you have accomplished.
    wendy

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

I see your point, Wendy, but you need to understand something from my perspective. I assume you're heterosexual. The vast majority of the people on this board are. In fact, if you stopped and thought about it for a moment, you'd probably realize that you subconsciously assumed everyone to be heterosexual unless you were told otherwise.
    Eminem demands the right of free speech, even at the cost of my very right to exist. I cannot begin to tell you the amount of "hate mail" I receive in my email box regularly (including three death threats). That plus several incidents of physical "gay-bashing" have caused me to develop an attitude of intolerance towards those who simply will not let me exist. Eminem, in my opinion, is no better than the elders on my judicial committee who told me at my disfellowshipping: "Jehovah no longer loves you, not for what you do, but for who you are." I see no difference.

• mommy
    mommy

Sf Jim,
    You are correct, I am hetrosexual. But amazingly enough I do not see this world as black and white, gay and straight, smart and dumb. I see this world by every individual I meet and his actions. I have learned alot by sitting back and watching peoples reactions to things that go on in their lives.
    With this hate mail and even the physical violence that you have enduredbecause of their hatred....you now have hate in your heart for them. This must be so unsettling for you. You have let their hatred boil inside of you to the point you are willing to take away their rights and make the same grouped cliques that they are doing to you.
    I understand your position and why you are making these comments, I can appreciate this. My heart goes out to you for all that you have to combat daily. I just want to point out to you that, you can continue to fight for your rights, with your head held high. If you give in and act as they do well noone is winning the battle, the principle is lost in the fight.
    love,
    wendy

• Naeblis
    Naeblis

Eminem is a lyrical genius. There is nothing that exists in the realm of "words" that should be offensive to intellignet people. NOthing should be censored. Censorship is the true evil. I pity you.

• Uni girl
    Uni girl

I see that I have provoked a lively debate...brilliant!!

The thing that I agree with is what wendy says...he is funny and extremely entertaining.

I do not for one minute think that he is single handedly responsible for the problems within the youth culture at all. As I said in my original post, although he talks in the first person it does not neccessarily mean that its his opinion...it works better in the first person. I actually think Eminem is a good thing for USA because he is bringing to the fore the breakdown of the American dream and I think that everyone who is getting their knickers in a twist , is falling foul to propaganda and believing what the media feed them. It does the governments of the world good to discredit him because hes saying what is really true, just like NWA or Tupac. If a smoke screen goes around him then people concentrate more on the supposed offensive lyrics and do not get a sense of the true message. It also works on another level because it stirs up the homosexual community and then they further antagonise the situation so for the powers that be, its a double whammy they alienate not only eminem but also the homosexual community

I think its stupid to believe that everyone is at the same stage of developing as a human...Eminem was simply verbalising the mumblings of society as a whole and maybe through debating his lyrics some good will come...censorship is never the answer I want freedom to decide what I want to read/listen to, I do not ever want to be told had enough of that when I was a JW

• Prisca
    Prisca

Why would anyone want to listen to songs that talk about killing someone, raping a woman or murdering homosexuals?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit