What New Light Are You Talking About?

by Robdar 39 Replies latest jw friends

• jws
    jws

The questions from readers from 6/1/97 (quoted earlier):

With similar sincere intentions, Gods servants in modern times have tried to derive from what Jesus said about generation some clear time element calculated from 1914. For instance, one line of reasoning has been that a generation can be 70 or 80 years, made up of people old enough to grasp the significance of the first world war and other developments; thus we can calculate more or less how near the end is.

However well-meaning such thinking was, did it comply with the advice Jesus went on to give? Jesus said: Concerning that day and hour nobody knows, neither the angels of the heavens nor the Son, but only the Father. . . . Keep on the watch, therefore, because you do not know on what day your Lord is coming.Matthew 24:36-42.

Thats not clear cut, specifically stating the rank-and-file, but the rank-and-file know this refers to them. This is the pattern of blaming the people for reading too much into things.

I asked my dad about this shortly after the change happened to get his views. He responded that JWs never have looked to a date. (cough, cough, gag). I have the feeling that this sort of statement wasn't original, that he was parroting it from someplace.

• IronGland
    IronGland

BeelZeDub, here is the exact text of the article I was referring to.

"A Time to Keep Awake"
    "Eager to see the end of this evil system, Jehovah's people have at times speculated about the time when the "great tribulation" would break out, even tying this to calculations of what is the lifetime of a generation since 1914. However, we "bring a heart of wisdom in," not by speculating about how many years or days make up a generation, but by thinking about how we "count our days" in bringing joyful praise to Jehovah. (Psalm 90:12) Rather than provide a rule for measuring time, the term "generation" as used by Jesus refers principally to contemporary people of a certain historical period, with their identifying characteristics." (The Watchtower, November 1, 1995, p. 17)

It's also intersting to note the changes to the masthead in the Awake after this article appeared. Pre-November 1995 it stated:

"Most importantly this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away."

Post November 1995 it stated:

"Most importantly this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things."

Its also funny how they refer to "jehovahs people speculating". Prior to 1995 it was not just 'speculation'. It was presented as 'Truth' handed down thru the F&DS.

Edited by - Irongland on 15 November 2002 16:11:39

Edited by - Irongland on 15 November 2002 16:12:25

• jws
    jws

"Most importantly this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world before the generation that saw the events of 1914 passes away."

Post November 1995 it stated:

"Most importantly this magazine builds confidence in the Creator's promise of a peaceful and secure new world that is about to replace the present wicked, lawless system of things."

It seems to me they never changed their believe that the "generation" that saw 1914 won't pass away before the big "A". The only thing they changed was the meaning of "generation" to last as long as they need it to. So, in the context of the new meaning of "generation", the old statement still seems to hold true to their beliefs. So why change it?

Maybe because nobody else would understand their word-twists? You can't still print that when everybody else understands it differently.

Or, maybe the goal is to eventually phase out 1914 for the faulty premise that it is.

I still don't see how their "new light" changes anything. They say genea may mean all the people alive at a given time. No difference really. Take "all the people alive" in 1914. Most adults have passed away and the infants aren't far behind.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well it all goes to show how little Divine guidance they have in their interpretations of prophecy. They cant even be accurate to within a century. The next thing on the block will be the 1914 "Return". Nearly 100 years and counting. The Adventists return is slotted at 1844 and 170 years and still no Kingdom on earth. ...Its a cause of constant discussion. The dubs have nothing to do now organizationally (all truth having been revealed) perhaps they will focus onto members having to perfect their individual characters before Christ will come. Maybe thats why Christ hasnt come to earth yet, because he would have to burn too many of his Witnesses in the fires. The WT will be able to start quoting Russell Watchtowers again on that Matter.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Changing the definition of a 'generation' does change everything. Prior to '95 it meant that someone who was alive in 1914 would still be alive at the end of the system. The new meaning allows the end to be a year from now or 500 years from now. Those who were JW's when a 'generation' meant something approximating a human lifetime realize it's a dramatic change..

• jws
    jws
    Changing the definition of a 'generation' does change everything. Prior to '95 it meant that someone who was alive in 1914 would still be alive at the end of the system. The new meaning allows the end to be a year from now or 500 years from now. Those who were JW's when a 'generation' meant something approximating a human lifetime realize it's a dramatic change..

Don't know whether this was a response to my post...

It's still a generation, correct? Just a much longer one and not with the meaning that immediately comes to mind. So the wording could have stayed the same. They expect it before the generation (of perhaps centuries) that saw (understood the change) of the events of 1914 passes away.

Although with such a broad scope, how could that generation EVER pass away. Even now, we read it about 1914 in history books. And 20th century history will no doubt be taught for many centuries to come. So you could always say that generation has not passed away. Hardly a firm prophecy.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

JWS.

Its merely the fullfillment you have when your prophecy fails. Its invisible. Its not literal. Its figurative. Its not confirmable. Its "The aliens landed as predicted, but they were disguised as ants". (one I heard in a ufo cult I was involved in for a while)

• IronGland
    IronGland

JWS, Yeah I guess they do still expect it before their new definition of a 'generation' passes away. Of course since the new definition means anybody alive during or after 1914, it essentially means 'the end will come before life on planet earth ceases to exist'. Since they believe Jehovah controls that, it means 'the end will come when jehovah is ready'. So, in my view, it's all just a clever way of saying 'yeah, i guess jesus was right about no one knowing the day or hour after all'

It's amazing how JW's view word definitions as being open to interpretation. Imagine if a person received a loan from the bank and when the time came to repay the loan, the term 'borrower' was open to interpretation.

Edited by - Irongland on 15 November 2002 21:30:5

• Surreptitious
    Surreptitious

Iron, I've often marveled at this very thing.

• fairy
    fairy

i started reading the article and then just skimmed through it....the way they word things, boy, i dont know how i ever slightly understood the articles, too confusing for me now, that just about went straight over my head

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit