Veterans day is a bunch of crap!!

by LuckyLucy 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

The whole world is going down the toilet, even the good ole USA. I think that if I had been a guy and saw my buddies getting blown up all around me, I would be pretty damned patriotic right now. I think every veteran deserves far more than what they get and it's a pity the government doesn't do more for them.

Although I don't consider myself patriotic, I do appreciate living in this country and the freedom I have. Thus, I appreciate deeply all the blood spilled for what I have.

I work for a community college and have taken several classes. My experiences with teachers have always been positive and I am grateful for what I've learned from them. The ones who I have come in contact with through work are very special people and I resent your implication and generalization, Lucy.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Do you agree that we have an illiteracy problem?? Who do you think needs to be held responsible??I too have had alot of teachers and the good ones where far and few between.

Sooo..its okay for you to generalize that most teachers are great but its wrong for me to say I think most are not? The proof is in the pudding...do some research and get back to me on who should be held accountable. I resent your generalization!! Get real!!

Edited by - LuckyLucy on 10 November 2002 18:18:14

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

The resources are there and, if you want to learn, you will learn. Involved parents can help in a big way to promote literacy; teachers aren't completely to blame.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Let me see...if your a mechanic your job is to fix cars ,if your a hairdresser its your job to do hair,if your a bus driver its your job to drive a bus...Now if these people don't do thier job is it someone elses responsiblity?? Nooooo...they get fired!! These days both parents work..yes they should spend time helping thier children learn but its the teachers responsiblity and job to set the ground work which would be to teach your kid to read.

• Windchaser
    Windchaser

Parents are responsible for their offspring until they are 18-years-old. Setting the groundwork begins at birth and children learn the most in their first years of life. It's a well-known fact that children can become good readers when they are read to from birth.

We don't live in an ideal world and we are going to have bad car mechanics, teachers and parents. Some children don't want to learn. I can say this, because I was that type of kid. I was a slow reader and got poor grades. Because of encouragement from teachers and my own desire to learn as I got older, I became a good reader. Putting the blame solely on teachers just doesn't cut it with me. Is it up to a car mechanic to tell you to take care of your car? Is it up to a hairdresser to tell you to wash and condition your hair between appointments? A teacher can give a child the alphabet and lessons and homework, but it's up to the child to take in the information and it's the parents' responsibility to encourage learning.

Promoting a child to the next grade level when he/she isn't up to it is wrong. A lot of children go to summer school for this reason. I can make excuses for teachers as you have for parents, but my point is that declining family structure has failed our children just as much as the educational system has.

Edited by - windchaser on 10 November 2002 21:41:15

• Iwasyoungonce
    Iwasyoungonce

To the Veterans of the United States and all the members of the American Armed Forces, from the bottom of my heart I say "Thank You." Thank you for your sacrifies and your bravery. I am proud to live in a Country where there is so much freedom to be who I choose to be. I realize that it's not perfect. Even in my life I have seen improvements. I see people from all over the world wanting to send their kids and themselves here to be educated, to work, and to live. People come from all over the world come to immigrate here. These things too I know will continue,and this to will improve, I have hope. I believe in my own ability to contribute positivly to my little corner of the world. And I do. Veterans; Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.

Lucky Lucky; You are unkind. You are disrespectful to people. Why? As it is You are not worthy of any farther talk. If you hate America well "Doom On You."

If you just think that Veterans get a bum rap then go to a veterans hall or hospital and volunteer for a day. Let positive change start with you. These are but sugestions and not orders. I think you are just bitching to bitch. I'll reply in December when you run down the holiday season in your threads to come. (I'll wish you a merry CHRISTmas!)

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    Ahhh...bleeding heart liberal!! Why don't you care about the women in America or the dirt poor in America? We are so busy trying to help other countries...Would'nt you say we should clean up our own backyard first??

AHhh...another name caller.

Though woman in America have problems, the woman in America have NO PROBLEMS in comparison to the woman in most parts of the world. Though the dirt poor in America have problems, the dirt poor in America are rich in comparison to the dirt poor in most parts of the world.

If you expect me to wait for America to become perfect before I look at those worse off than the worst of us Americans, then you are one short sighted person indeed.

BTW... by letting people from other Countries come here to set up shop is the biggest mistake we ever made.

If that never happened, then this country would never have come to be. Thank God for that mistake, otherwise, you'd be on some other continent planting potatoes. This country IS all the country's of the world, let in to set up shop and be AMERICANS.

Unfortunately, that POLICY FOR ALL PEOPLE happens to let some shit in too. Deal with it.

Edited by - pomegranate on 10 November 2002 23:8:47

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    I have several friends that are veterans and they have to work on Monday!!

There is definitely something wrong with that picture .

• NotBlind
    NotBlind
    Teachers, and thier union, are a major part of the problems in this country. That problem could be solved if more people showed up at school district meetings, demanding change, rather than letting it slide.

Incorrect. The bureaucracy and administration which cripples the sytem are a major part of the problems in our country. Teachers are overworked, underpaid, and anyone who says otherwise has never been a teacher in a U.S. public school or is in an ideal teaching situation. Local school boards are also a major part of the problem. When the people running a school district are concerned only with the next election and spending less money, it is destined to fail. Say what you will, but the vast majority of teachers are NOT the problem.

• conoroberst
    conoroberst

oh dear hillbilly looks like you are shooting from the hip...
    yes i have seen the world from a professional and tourist standpoint, having spent two years travelling after my mastes degree, (in asia and west africa), and laterly i usually spend about two months out of the country in my role as a corporate responsibility consultant.
    Yes, i have also traevlled through airports in about 75% of ;European capitals but am not quite sure what you are talking about.
    No, I didnt vote last week, what elections did I miss in the UK. No I am not on the town council as i am not ac ouncillor and have no desire to be one
    As regards charities, though i am afiliated to several i only practically (as oposed to financially) support two of them Greenpeace in their Stop Esso Campaign and Shelter with working with the homeless, although obviously in my consultancy i come into contact with many charities and NGOs
    Which particular points on the list did you not agree with, I can provide you with references

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit