Veterans day is a bunch of crap!!

by LuckyLucy 49 Replies latest jw friends

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

I have several friends that are veterans and they have to work on Monday!! Yet teachers (and we know how useless they are) and students get the day off.I have an idea!! Why don't they just let the Veterans off, would that be asking too much?? I'm getting where I really don't care for this country anymore (I better be carefull...It's getting where you can't say anything bad about it..sound hauntingly familuar?)

Edited by - LuckyLucy on 10 November 2002 9:43:41

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    I'm getting where I really don't care for this country anymore

One good thing about this country is, you are always free to leave.

• Sadie5
    Sadie5

Hi Lucy

The kids are in school here on Monday. They have invited the veterans to come to the schools for a special flag ceremony. Some of the gov. offices are closed, some businesses choose to close(most businesses don't close). Some of the veterans have used a personal day off to get Monday off. it should be turned into a holiday like Labor Day or Thanksgiving. But we'd most likely turn it into a time to stuff ourselves.

I thank the veterans for the sacrifices they made for our country.

Sadie

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The November 11 Holiday is not managed very well is it? Memorial Day is not either.

Many business do give all employees the day off on Nov 11 to honor Veterans.It saddens me to observe how many empty cemetaries there are, with only a few taking the time to reflect on the sacrifices of those who gave so we might enjoy freedom.

In my opinion, all Veterans of military service should be given a day off. And any of us who enjoy the holiday should take a half hour out of our day to observe one of the many graveside ceremonies conducted through out the US.

Even if you are not blessed with a day off, take a moment at 11 a.m. to reflect on the men and women who have served to protect your right to be at that job and spout off about not haviing the day off.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Pomagrante; ohh...really!!! I did not know that!!!Come on now ...you can't tell there is not one thing that irks you about this country or are you too afraid to express your opinons? Or are you just blind or stupid? Mr.Rogers says ;Can you say "Herd Mentality"?

Edited by - LuckyLucy on 10 November 2002 10:2:21

• animal
    animal

As a veteren, I prefer to work and make money rather than take off. A paid holiday just causes higher prices for goods or services, someone has to make up the losses.

We have generations of people that demand something for nothing, like days off work with pay. I am a firm believer in getting paid for what I work, or paying people only for what they work.

Teachers, and thier union, are a major part of the problems in this country. That problem could be solved if more people showed up at school district meetings, demanding change, rather than letting it slide.

Animal

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Hillbilly...where did I say "I wanted the day off" I never did!! How can people twist your words when they are right in front of your face in black in white is beyond me!!

• pomegranate
    pomegranate
    Come on now ...you can't tell there is not one thing that irks you about this country or are you too afraid to express your opinons?

You obviously don't know me.

This country kicks the sh_t out of every other country on the face of the earth on all counts.

When I feel like complaining, I think of the woman in Afganistan...or some of the dirt poor in Africa...

Life here is just peachy ducky and down right dandy, thank you very much.

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

Ahhh...bleeding heart liberal!! Why don't you care about the women in America or the dirt poor in America? We are so busy trying to help other countries...Would'nt you say we should clean up our own backyard first??

• animal
    animal

When asked if I like or dislike this country, I bring up about how many people attempt to get into this country each year, legally or otherwise. Many lose thier lives trying. Most of the folks living here that dont like it have little more to do than complain about things rather than attempting to change things.

Back to giving all the vets a day off, as opposed to everyone, that would never fly either. Most vets of a war are older than me, and in positions of authority. Many are disabled and not working. Those that are no longer with us but left family behind, what about them? See, it gets deeper than any simple solution will solve.

I think that what most war vets want, and would love, is national recognition of the job done by them and thier peers. I dont mean a day off, or a shopping day. I mean where people actually stop and think, and remember, that what we have today was gotten and maintained with the blood of others. Liberty is nothing to take lightly, and we (in the USA) have the most liberty in the world. With this liberty, we can maintain our freedom responsibly.

Animal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit