Did anyone see Serena Williams on The Tonight Show

by JWinSF 17 Replies latest jw friends

• JWinSF
    JWinSF

Last night I happened to surf onto The Tonight Show. Bob Newhart was the first guest, the second was Serena Williams. As I'd never actually seen her before [not a sports buff] and all I'd heard about her was the various JW postings, I was curious.

First, she came off as totally natural to me. A born comedian/performer. However, what really irked me was she came out in her "tennis skirt". OK, on the tennis court it's OK, as a bathing suit is at the beach. But, jeesh, this was The Tonight Show. If she'd gone into the KH in that outfit she would've been counseled.

Also, her love seems to be increasingly focused on getting into show business. It'll be interesting to see how far she can go before the JWs get POd with her [and I'm not referring to Presiding Overseer] and she crosses that line where they can't reconcile her behavior with that of a loyal Dub.

Don't get me wrong. I think that her outfit was kewl. And, Brava for her getting into Show Biz. But, I have no respect for her trying to live in "The World" and still say that she's a JW. But, even worse than that, I have more contempt for the JW hierarchy that goes along with it.

Here's to looking forward to the day that she wises up and dumps the JWs.

John W Wirtanen

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

IMO, she is being "used" by the WBTS to gain new recruits.

Spanner

• seawolf
    seawolf

I didn't see it at all. Did she talk about being a JW or bring anything up in that regards at all?

• breeze
    breeze

Is she active or did her parents just go to some meetings?

I've seen her several times and she doesn't strike me as the JW type. If she becomes an actor, I bet the first role she does is a sex thing, nude scene etc?

I hate these self-righteous types that as soon as they get a chance to make a big buck they are off. Some get involved with these kinds of things and remain elders. Where does that leave the poor congregation publisher that isn't supposed to even watch sports. A brother that is in sports in a big way that I know is an elder, you all have probably heard him do color for NBC-CBS etc?

His whole family gave me hell about not doing enough and he is still doing it today? Two faced hypocrites!!

BREEZE

Edited by - breeze on 6 November 2002 13:57:12

Edited by - breeze on 6 November 2002 13:58:2

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Breeze,

Why don't you name the hypocrit? You do know his name, don't you? Why are you protecting him?

• jack2
    jack2

Ah, the good 'ol Williams girls - this time Serena. There was a post a while back about her pictures in a magazine (I forget which), and she looked quite "immodest" in one of the pics, by Witness standards anyway. I'd suggest any sister who's concerned about being counseled for wearing "immodest" attire cut that pic out and carry it with her, and show it to any elder who gives her grief.

I have nothing against the Williams girls or what they are doing. My beef has always been that the typical Witness youth is strongly discouraged from pursuing the same opportunities in sports and other activities.

• benext
    benext

She is just an unbaptized publisher and if it goes to far they'll remove her. She was on probably to promote something not the JW religion. Obviously the Tonight Show booked her for a reason.

• FiveShadows
    FiveShadows

JWinSF, to be perfectly honest i'm not really suprized. The fact is she has a lot of money now and because she has a lot of money the jws' will pretty much allow her to do anything and get away with it. If she goes into 'show business' she does...and they probably wont care. It just means more donations for them and they'll call it 'work.' The reason i say this is because i read of an article i don't know if it was on this website or another but it was talking about michael jackson and an interview with him. Apparently he still is a jw and goes out in street work. But seeing how he's MJ ...he wears an outfit (like in his halloween special thing of the big fat guy) so people cannot recognize him. See? I recall this article not too long ago. if i am mistaken by any chance let me know...so i can understand the full detail but from what i recall he said he does this, being an 'active witness' and making halloween music films *video*...interesting isn't it? i personally don't give a crap what he does and don't think he's any worse then me or anyone else but by the jw standard...wouldn't this be considered as hypocrasy, when one person is told 'if you go supporting halloween you'll be d'fed? And yet here is MJ. HEHE (says it like him)~FS

• breeze
    breeze

Nathan..

I am a devout coward...I bet you know him?

Would you do it for me? I'll help, his intials are MM.

BREEZE

• jws
    jws
    The reason i say this is because i read of an article i don't know if it was on this website or another but it was talking about michael jackson and an interview with him. Apparently he still is a jw and goes out in street work. But seeing how he's MJ ...he wears an outfit (like in his halloween special thing of the big fat guy) so people cannot recognize him. See? I recall this article not too long ago. if i am mistaken by any chance let me know...

I think I remember rumors of this sort a LONG time ago. I think he got booted around the time of the Thriller video, however. Lately, I thought I heard he was into something else, something quasi-Jewish. Sorta new-age mixed with Judaism. It's that religion that Madonna is into. Forget the name of it.

More interesting is that Prince has returned to being a JW. MJ was wierd, but Prince definately had more of a sexual vibe - and he still performs those songs from what I hear. Actually, when I was dating a JW near Minneapolis, I heard that Morris Day (of the Time) was a JW too and was seen at the assemblies. I believe he's a cousin of Prince.

If Venus or Serena want to get into acting, they can stay true to their beliefs - even though that might be difficult. Look at actors, turned Christian, like Kirk Cameron or Willie Aames. Both star in Christian-type videos and movies. Though the JWs would never approve of those. But being in Hollywood doesn't mean you have to give up your principles.

Maybe they're going to start acting in the dramas at conventions or in Watchtower videos...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit