Are You Embarrassed To Admit You Were A Witness?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• shera
    shera

I was very embarressed to tell people I was a JW,I was embarressed knocking on people's doors.Makes me wonder why did I stay as long as I did.

For a few yrs I was still embarressed to tell people I used to be one.Now,I'm not at all,but I must say I feel a bit "stoopid" to people who said negitive things about the organization and I was very quick to defend them.Now I feel the same way they do.

• pettygrudger
    pettygrudger

I have to agree w/most here - I was more embarrassed as a Witness than I am now. I was extremely shy & introverted, so field service was excrutiatiating, even though I was Pioneering, but I NEVER could begin a conversation w/fellow school mates etc....

Now out, most are shocked to find out I was a JW. But, I gravitated towards friendships with others that had also grown up in cults (Hari Krishna's mostly). They have a much similar background in terms of the way they were raised. It made for interesting spiritual conversations and really opened my eyes to looking at other religions and schools of thought.

Its funny now, but people (i.e. in-laws & hubby) I find I have to defend my JW family's beliefs regularly, especially around holidays. I will still defend their right to believe what they want, but as Patio says, it makes it uncomfortable to be a JW apologist. My hubby many times uses my upbringing as a tease (i.e. aren't you supposed to be more submissive than this??!!!!). It really is kinda humorous now.

• troucul
    troucul

shit, i was embarassed when I was one, and I'm still embarassed that I was...An old girlfriend broke up with me because I used to be one...how silly is that?

• bigboi
    bigboi

Nowadays, I just don't like to talk about it. Although, I don't shy away from the fact that I was a witness.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit