Are You Embarrassed To Admit You Were A Witness?

by minimus 33 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

If the subject of religion or even Jehovah's Witnesses ringing your doorbell has come up, do you shy away from talking about ever being a Witness? Some have indicated that they felt stupid for ever believing in the Watchtower. Others have said they have a responsibility to help others not get involved in this "cult". Would you say anything about being a Witness or would you rather keep that under wraps?

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

No, when the subject of religion is brought up. I say.........I was once in a cult.. Then I explain the reasons for it being a cult.

• Bob_NC
    Bob_NC

Heck no. It's easier to explain why you're NOT into something than try to make excuses for why you are.

• Jesika
    Jesika

I used to bring up the subject of being a preacher's daughter daily, and several times a day when I was stripping. I had the bad girl (dominatrix) theme in the clubs. So, it just added fuel to the fire. When asked what religion my father was I would play a guessing game with them. I would ask them to think of the strictest religion they could think of. Baptist was usually the first mentioned, but when I finally told them the responce was usually the same--- OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would always laugh and found alot of sympathy for my upbringing, and they found it funny the occupation I had chosen.

As far as discussing religion, the only time I did was when I was asked in the club why they didn't celebrate holidays. Since I have been out for some time, I would just give a basic answer, at least what I could remember.

Talking religion with anyone is impossible for me and I usually choose not to engage in them. I have nothing to add to it, since I don't know what to believe anymore. I know I don't believe what I was taught and choose to not go to church and haven't prayed in--well, I don't even remember the last time. Unless you count "Oh god if you get me through this I will never drink again!" LOL

Anyways, just my experience.

Jesika

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

I find comfort and knowledge in my past, not shame.

My thought

Dragon

• minimus
    minimus

Hey Jesika, I can understand the dominatrix-stripper thing. You were so mad at being raised a JW, that you were going to "dominate" others for a change, give 'em a good lashing...lol

• Tashawaa
    Tashawaa

I was teased the other day because I seem to only pray to "the porclein God"...

• CornerStone
    CornerStone

I warn everybody I talk to about the evils of the cult of the jehovah's witnesses.

CornerStone

• Jesika
    Jesika

LOL @ min------To be honest I was really good at it, but had alot of anger inside toward men, perfect place to vent without going to jail, didn't see it that way then, just really loved doing it. After I stopped I did notice I wasn't as angry as before. NOW THAT'S what I call THERAPY!!!!!!!!!! LOL

LOL @ tash, at least I am not the only one!!!!!

Edited by - jesika on 1 November 2002 19:4:21

• Makena1
    Makena1

Interesting question.

I was never embarrassed to admit I was a JW when I was - and have no problem explaining why I no longer associate.

I have traveled a lot for business, attended industry functions for 20 plus years - and most everyone knew that I was a JW. While I was "in" - I was really in, not leading a double life etc etc.

So for the past two years I have made it a point to let everyone know I am no longer a witness. I smoke an occasional cigarette - a few were shocked to see me openly light up. Depending on the circumstances, I will explain briefly or go into detail why I no longer attend.

I am not ashamed - (just angry at myself for all the wasted time and opportunities etc), I was a witness, tell people that there are good and bad JW's just like any other religion - and that I am very happy I have moved beyond the restrictive confines of my former religion. Leaving JWdom has definitely benefitted my bottom line.

All best,

Mak

Edited by - Makena1 on 1 November 2002 19:19:11

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit