Baiting Dubs for fun and amusement

by TerryWalstrom 24 Replies latest jw experiences

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

MORMONS VS DUBS (Smackdown)

The local Starbucks has been quite a nexus for encounters with Jehovah's Witnesses.

For instance, I interrupted a friendly debate between two young men about 5 months ago who were arguing the TRINITY. One was a DF'd Dub and the other was a Baptist Seminary graduate.

Subsequent to that, I've spoken with Dubs, Elders, Pioneers, and whatnot.

Just today, not ten minutes ago, I was strolling outside the coffee shop to take a phone call from a friend of mine when I ran across four guys talking. Two were pretty obviously young Mormon missionary guys and the other two probably Pioneer type Dubs.
    As I passed them, I made it a point to sit as close by as I could to eavesdrop. What could be more fun, right?

I quickly told my caller what was going on and that I'd call him back. He understood, being an Ex-JW himself.
    I have to say the Mormon kids were polite, cheerful and exemplary. They listened. They actually listened rather than just waiting to jump in. The Dubs were--let's be fair--smartasses. That's as kind as I can be. I know I'm prejudiced. You can allow for that. But Friends, they were smartasses, trust me on that one!

The Mormons were more interested in being kind than in winning a debate. The Dubs were trolling by jabbing at one provocative topic and then another. The one subject which seemed to finally generate a real conversation was an unfortunate choice for our Pioneer duo.

I'll try as best I can to reconstruct the conversation, but I'm probably taking a few small liberties here and there because I didn't record any of it verbatim. I was taking notes on my iPhone, instead as I was listening.

JW: "How come only the young men do the preaching work out in the neighborhoods? All of Jehovah's people do it all the time. Don't you think you'd be more successful if all Mormons participated?" (Big grin on the J-Dub's face.)

Mormon: "We just read the PEW research poll and it said Jehovah's Witnesses have the lowest rate of retention of its members of any other Christian denomination. I think the number was 63%. 63% of Americans who were raised Jehovah’s Witness say they aren’t Jehovah’s Witness anymore. Don't you think that might be because you're overburdening your members with too much pressure to preach instead of leaving it with the youngest and strongest to get it done?"

JW: "Wha-a-a-t? That's baloney!"

Mormon: (Reaching into his backpack and pulling out a laminated chart) "Here it is right here. It was a research poll of all the Christian denominations."

JW: (His face looked pale) "I don't believe any of that research nonsense. That's just people who don't like witnesses lying about us, more than likely."

Mormon: "Okay. I can understand. People lie about the Latter Day Saints, too."

JW: "We baptize about 30,000 new converts a year! That's how effective our preaching work is. Jehovah's Organization has been greatly blessed."

Mormon: "I guess when you subtract the 63% you're left with . . . hmmmm. . . about 11,000 or less."

JW: "Huh?"

Mormon: "According to the PEW research poll, I mean."

other JW: "That's just . . . oh-it's totally bogus!"

Mormon: "We got started in 1823 and your founder, Pastor Russell came along in 1880. . . ummm. . .when was it--1881?"

JW: "Uh. . . oh, I don't know. Probably. I guess."

Mormon: "We got a 50-year head start. I guess that might account for our membership. Last year the church sent out almost 60,000 missionaries to 120 countries, where they won 306,000 converts. I don't remember--how many missionaries do the Witnesses have?"

JW: "Uh-h-h-h-h. . ."

Mormon: "I'm going to guess less than 12,000."

Other Mormon: "Sounds about right."

JW: "Uh-h-h-h. . ."

Mormon: "How many members do you have worldwide?"

JW: "EIGHT MILLION and growing! We're the fastest growing religion!"

Mormon: "Unlikely. We have 100 temples internationally serving 11 Million Latter Day Saints."

other JW: "Hey--nice talking to ya--we need to be someplace. Stop in a local Kingdom Hall sometime and we can set up a Bible study with you guys."

Mormon: "We've 11 studies a week and two of them are with former Jehovah's Witnesses. They's given us plenty of information already. Good luck."

JW: "We don't believe in Luck!"

Mormon: "It couldn't hurt."

At this juncture, I wanted to jump in and say something to the two JW's but they spotted two others of their group who had just arrived and I didn't want to face 4 of them at the same time.
    I had wanted to ask them where they got their nice silver Bibles as a pretext to start a conversation--but--now I'm glad I didn't. I don't think they were in a good mood:)

• TerryWalstrom
    TerryWalstrom

I'm trying to figure out how this conversation got started. Mormons do NOT drink coffee or "strong drink" so, I'm wondering if they were just sitting in the shade outside resting from the hundred-degree heat when the JW's started rumblin' :)

What struck me was how prepared the Mormon missionaries were for the witnesses and how unprepared the JW's were for the Mormons.

I can't emphasize enough how NICE the Mormons were. I hope my description (above) didn't leave the improper impression these young guys were being snippy or snarky. The words may have been but the delivery was thoughtful and respectful.

It did my heart good to listen and to report the final score was MORMONS 1 DUBS 0

• ILoveTTATT2
    ILoveTTATT2
    I loved the story Terry!! =)
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

JW's being shown factual information and responding, might as well parrot "The Waterboy".

Pew Research Survey? "My....my.....My momma (JW dot org) says that's from Da Debil!"

Transcripts and actual court documents showing child abuse in JW Congregations the world over?

"My....my.....My momma (JW dot org) says that's from Da Debil!"

Any factual data........any data or real biblical scholarly work at all not approved or put out by the WTBTS?

"My....my.....My momma (JW dot org) says that's from Da Debil!"

**** EPIC FACE PALM *****

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    well played by the Mormon guys, clearly very well equipped!
  • John Aquila
    John Aquila

Lets just face it, I know we want to be nice but------

The JWs are just stupid!

• cappytan
    cappytan
    Couldn't Mormons drink decaf?
  • Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer
    The JWs are just stupid!

No. I don't think so. More likely is that 1) socially JWs behave far more commonly than they think (most folks don't take their own chosen religion nearly as serious as a lot of ex-JWs did at one time, and these days the average JW acts about the same way as "most folks") and 2) JWs are very misguided at every level of exposure within the religious hierarchy.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard
    their argumentation when presented with any facts that could compromise their belief system does show to me that they are stupid very much indeed, almost 20 years of reasoning with them has led me to believe this, only today I spoke with 3 of them at their cart, firstly was to speak about the Australian Commission hearing after some time we got onto the UN membership, the brother initially commented that they never joined and the stories surrounding their membership of it was started by opposer's, he then said that they did JOIN to use the library, I said membership of it was not required of it to use the library and never had, he blatantly lied and contradicted himself in a matter of seconds, their straw man reasoning, attacks on the person etc lead me to believe that I can get a more qualified argument about any subject with my 5 year old son, in the 20 or so minutes I spoke with them this morning I'd lost count of how many times they lied, no wonder they dont convert anyone these days, they've lost so much credibility, sitting there smug and oblivious to this huge news coming from Australia while the world is laughing at them makes them incredible hypocrites and stupid ones at that.
  • 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Those Mormon boys had a strong impact on the two pious-neers whether they admit it now or not. They can never un-hear the PEW report or the other info. If these boys ever experience doubts or unfair treatment, the points that were made will come flooding back.

I still remember a couple of arguments I lost in FS 40 years ago! Thanks for sharing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit