Grandchildren pay for the sins of their parents.

by Bonsai 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• blondie
    blondie

Shunning a child for marrying a non-jw is not in itself a df'ing offense. I did that and I was not df'd but a marking tlak was given (no names given) about doing that. The parents must have carried it one step farther on their own to making it like a df offense.

As to grandchildren, "necessary family business" has been used by many elders I know to justify associating with df'd children. The rules are always changing.

*** w83 1/1 p. 31 Questions From Readers ***

Another sort of loss may be felt by loyal Christian grandparents whose children have been disfellowshipped. They may have been accustomed to visiting regularly with their children, giving them occasion to enjoy their grandchildren. Now the parents are disfellowshipped because of rejecting Jehovah’s standards and ways. So things are not the same in the family. Of course, the grandparents have to determine if some necessary family matters require limited contact with the disfellowshipped children. And they might sometimes have the grandchildren visit them. How sad, though, that by their unchristian course the children interfere with the normal pleasure that such grandparents enjoyed

*** w74 8/1 p. 471 par. 21 Maintaining a Balanced Viewpoint Toward Disfellowshiped Ones ***

What the elders are concerned with is that “leaven” is not reintroduced into the congregation through spiritual fellowshiping with those who had to be removed as such “leaven.” Thus, if a disfellowshiped parent goes to visit a son or daughter or to see grandchildren and is allowed to enter the Christian home, this is not the concern of the elders. Such a one has a natural right to visit his blood relatives and his offspring. Similarly, when sons or daughters render honor to a parent, though disfellowshiped, by calling to see how such a one’s physical health is or what needs he or she may have, this act in itself is not a spiritual fellowshipping.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Children don't understand why they have grandparents who don't want to have a close relationship with them or their parents.

I only meant that my children could figure out that i was not welcome. Not a very healthy situation.

My two children know only a very small amount about the witnesses they are both University Science people one is doing post graduate work and the other is graduating next year and then she is pursuing a law degree. So the shunning did not work in my case it only strengthened my resolve,

• Bonsai
    Bonsai
    Wow. You dug up some interesting "counsel" Blondie. I think I'll print these articles out, bring them to their house and make sure they are keeping contact with their grandchildren. I'll share these with my mother-in-law as well just in case we do DA. Absolutely no reason, Biblically, or more importantly (gag), organizationally, to shun one's grandchildren.
  • truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

think I'll print these articles out, bring them to their house and make sure they are keeping contact with their grandchildren. I'll share these with my mother-in-law as well just in case we do DA

Are you sure that's what you want Bonsai?

There comes a point when dealing with family that you may just have to let them go. Sometimes the cult wins.

• datto
    datto
    Aren't we mammals? these shunning sh*ts sounds so much like cold blooded reptiles
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Datto you’re right, the Watchtower uses reptilian thinking. Higher brain functioning is not permitted.

Shunning is not to keep the congregation “uncontaminated” as they say but to threaten those who might stray and punish those who do.

At the same time it prevents JWs from learning about the glorious freedom which comes from NOT BEING A JEHOVAH’S WITNESS!

• datto
    datto

perhaps worse than reptiles. When I mentioned about reptiles, I have no offense against the animals as those were their natural characteristics. A quick check on the internet to find out that even some cold-blooded reptiles like the alligators are actually one of the most caring mother to their children in the animal kingdom. (shame on the witnesses).

I just chatted with two jw elders moments ago and this was our second meeting. I'm the one who first approaching them to find out more about what's under their sleeves. I treated the meetings as casual coffee chit chatting time. But I believe they must have taken things too seriously. They must have considered me as their sheep/goat/student and the sessions as perhaps 'bible studies'. WTF lol. And they wanna make the meeting like a scheduled routine that is to meet me every Tuesday. These folks are funny, didn't they have better things to do?

• mrquik
    mrquik

My oldest daughter is still in. Her husband never was. I am the only surviving grandparent. I rarely see them, of course. My only hope is that as they become adults, they walk away from this cult & stop over to see their grandfather.

• Heaven
    Heaven

I think it was back in around 2009 one of the ragazines came out with a cover entitled something like "Do you Know Your Children?"

It was one of the last times my Dad was able to come to my house. He had the magazine in his hand, pointed to the cover, and got all choked up.

He did not know his children nor his grandchildren. His shunning of his children did not convince them to return to Jehovah. It convinced them that Jehovah is a douche-bag.

This religion has many issues. Destruction of families is just one of their legacies.

Can't you just feel the love?

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

I feel all of your pain.

I remember telling witnesses to keep having hope that their rebellious loved ones will "come back to their senses." Now I find myself hoping that JW's will "come to their senses" and leave this inhumane American sect.

Mrquick, I'm really sorry to hear that. I hope they realize that they are missing out on a wonderful relationship with you.

Truthseeker, Yeah, you are right. The cult usually wins. The couple in question isn't even my family so... frig it. Aint my problem or my battle to fight.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit