Grandchildren pay for the sins of their parents.

by Bonsai 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

My wife's mother just related to us an interview she heard during the recent three day convention that she just had to share with us. A brother and his wife have, for over 20 years, shunned their daughter because she ran off and eloped with a worldly guy. While openly sobbing, he related how difficult it has been to shun his daughter and avoid unnecessary contact with her and her family. He said knowing that he has been making Jehovah's heart rejoice has given him the strength and peace of mind to avoid unnecessary contact with her. This strength has allowed him to return to the elder's ranks. He was applauded by the audience and praised by the speaker for his loyalty.

My mother-in-law told us that if we ever DA or get ourselves DF'd (we are currently inactive and we've shared a bit of TTATT with her) she will cut off all contact with us and our children.

I was for a time very close to this elder and his wife. I knew that they were secretly keeping in touch with their daughter and her family. Then this hot shot C.O. comes along and grills them on the dangers of having a relationship with the daughters children. He said that if the grandparents foster a relationship with the children, then the daughter will feel no need to repent and come back to Jehovah. From then on this couple and my mother in law as well, cut off ALL contact with their disfellowshipped children and their family.

It makes me so angry that the children must be punished, too. Has anyone else heard of this practice of shunning a df'd/da'd person's children as well? It's just so not fair to the children who lose their relationship with their grandparents.

• out4good4
    out4good4

Yeah....there was an similar experience relayed at the Saturday meeting I went to with the wife. In that case, a pioneer daughter of three siblings was disfellowshipped a year after her mother died. The elderly father, a MS, told of how he and his remaining children prayed to jehovah for the strength to avoid all but the most necessary contact with his disfellowshipped daughter and how she eventually "came to her senses" and returned to jehovah.

Bunch of sick bastards.....

• SoJo16
    SoJo16
    Poor deluded people. As if any amount of shunning could make me want to return.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

If my parents shunned me, they WOULD HAVE NO CONTACT WITH MY CHILDREN WHATSOEVER!

This cult gets sicker by the minute!

• millie210
    millie210

I know a JW whose stated reason for not getting to know his grandchildren was

"because they are going to die at Armageddon anyway if my daughter doesnt get reinstated"

• Sail Away
    Sail Away
    My in-laws have shunned my husband for over 30 years. They have shunned our children since they left the organization, and they have made it exceedingly clear that their brand new baby grandson "has nothing to do with them." They don't even want to see photos. They will get their wish.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp

Sail Away. They or the Congregation will contact you when they can no longer take care or afford to take care of them. Then all of a sudden you will be needed. Funny how that happens!

I know it must hurt but it is their loss.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

I paid the price for my parents delusional watchtower expectations. While I let my children know who their grandparents were with very limited association, most dealings with my parents regarding my children were conducted in a very business like manner. Sad way to do it. I was not welcome anyway and my children are not stupid and could figure that out on their own.

I was more on guard against any effort of my parents to indoctrinate my children than they were. I am sure that my parents acted as per elders instruction by dealing with them and me in a very limited way. My children are not paying the price I paid it for them and they are totally unaware of it now, as it should be.

So the cult only got to mess up two overlapping generations in my case, my parents and myself and my children are free!

• Scully
    Scully

The loss hurts, to be sure. Children don't understand why they have grandparents who don't want to have a close relationship with them or their parents.

On the other hand, be grateful that these children will not be indoctrinated behind their parents' backs by JW grandparents who are undermining parental authority, and eventually hope to turn the grandchildren into loyal JWs who will shun their Disloyal™ DF'd or DA'd parents.

Mr Scully and I decided together that any time our children spent with JW relatives would have to take place under our supervision to ensure nothing of this sort took place. Eventually, as the children became more independent, they wanted little to do with JW relatives. We taught them what JWs believe, and they came to their own conclusion that the belief system was not for them; nor did they want anyone preaching at them or praying for them or disrespecting their father by shunning him. (He was DA'd by answering a trick question when a couple of Elders™ made a Shepherding Call™ many years ago.)

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

These types of interviews must be taking place at assemblies all across the planet. Sigh.

When I was little, both my parents were disfellowshipped and dirt poor. Many "overlooked" my parents' sins and showed kindness and mercy to my siblings and I. If it hadn't been for those kind people, I don't think my mother would have returned to the religion. It just makes no sense whatsoever what these people are doing to themselves and their families - all in the name of "love" and "loyalty to the loving god".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit