Eldersystem an error ?

by happy man 14 Replies latest jw friends

• heathen
    heathen

I think the elder system was derived from the 1st timothy 5:17-18 and 1st peter 5:1-5 .Doesn't seem to be unbiblical .

• larc
    larc

Heathen, it is not unbiblical. It is a matter of how it is implimented. As I pointed out, the system under Russell was far superior to the system today.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

Thanks to all who commented on my reply.

When I think of the establishing of the elder arrangement and all the authority given to them and the wbts efforts to insulate the corporation from the elders actions as concerns any liability and then ponder over the instructions "secret" to the elders and the ever tightening of the noose of demands and punishments for things non of their business to ensure that people refuse blood,political cards,etc. and this results in the loss of lives "needlessly" it becomes harder and harder for me to accept that it was only a foolish mistake.

What I see is a concerted effort over the years. This did not happen overnight and the deaths,grief, and damage to thousands were absolutly known to them.For them continue in this course in spite of this knowledge tells me that this was planed and executed over a period of time. This would make it a well formed program desired to achieve the results we all have seen.

Again I still can not fathom what the motives are. I think that all of us agree that THE RESULTS ARE EVIL. This makes me believe it was an evil plan from the start planed by evil people

They have the means-the ability-the opportunity. What is the motive?

Only my opinion. Outoftheorg

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    Can't you just imagine how the 1st century congregation discussed the apostle Paul's qualifications?

Minimus,

Interesting you should raise this, as it demonstrates clearly that the WTS' s interpretation of appointments is faulty from a scriptural viewpoint.

How so? The book of Acts is roughly divided into two sections, the first half is the ministry of Peter to the Jews whilst the second half describes Saul's conversion and his subsequent ministry as Paul. What did Paul do after his conversion and commissioning by the Lord Jesus? Did he have to "qualify"? Did he have to get an appointment letter from the Governing Body? No to both those questions. In fact, there wasn't a Governing Body in the form that the WTS claims today. Instead Paul went to the congregation in Damascus and this became his "home congregation". When, later, he journeyed to Jerusalem, ("Three years later" Gal. 1:18) the brothers were at first unwilling to meet him. But Barnabas took him to the apostles (Acts 9:27). In Paul's epistle to the Galatians, Paul describes this time and comments: "I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I returned immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus" (Galatians 1:16,17) Paul went back to Antioch and it was there that the Holy Spirit announced Paul's appointment as an apostle. From there he and Barnabas were dispatched to witness to the Gentiles. Later he returned to Jerusalem, but it was much later. Note that in Galatians, Paul writes : "Fourteen years later I went up again to Jerusalem.." (Galatians 2:1) Clearly Paul was not appointed or assigned by any Brooklyn style governing body. Instead he was directly appointed by Jesus and the Holy Spirit.

It's quite false for the WTS to claim that elders must both "qualify" according to the the requirements of the WTs and at the same time be "appointed by holy spirit". It's one or the other, but not both.

Cheers, Ozzie

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

Wasn't it Raymond Franz, through his research that lead to the Aid book, that had the Elder body arrangement put into place Circa 1973?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit