Breaking news: US mass shooting

by Simon 20 Replies latest social current

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

done4good

Understand probability theory, and you will understand why you are wrong. More guns = greater probability they will be used, and misused, regardless of the majority of ownership being of those who are non-violent and responsible

If that’s the case, then we got something more important than guns to worry about.

According to a new report from the Stockholm International Peace Research Institute (SIPRI), nine nations — the United States, Russia, United Kingdom, France, China, India, Pakistan, Israel and North Korea — possess approximately 16,300 nuclear weapons. in total.Jun 17, 2014

More Nuclear Weapons = Greater probability they will be used sooner or later.

• DJS
    DJS
    The copycat theory appears to be supported by high level law enforcement experts. In addition, two other patterns appear to be prevalent amongst those involved with mass shootings. They typically are either angry old white men (a recognized syndrome) or Millenial males. Lots of people are studying the why-s, but I think we can guesstimate the contributing factors.
  • done4good
    done4good

John Aquila -

You are correct. The main differences there are the level of regulation imposed on nukes and fear associated with the obvious outcome of using them, (the old MAD concept from the cold war days). Theoretically all those factors do is buy time, they are no guarantee nukes will not be used in the future. That is the sober truth.

This would make for a another good thread, really

d4g

• Sofia Lose
    Sofia Lose

In this gun-crazy society, it is not surprising at all. Many more to come at a gathering near you.

If guns would not be as easy to obtain, a deranged person would make much less damage, if any; don't believe it? Check out the statistics in England, Australia or other societies where owning a gun is not as easy.

But, hey, as the gun nuts say: "Guns don't kill people. People kill people!"

SL

• John Aquila
    John Aquila

done4good

As you know, hundreds of years ago in England, a black swan was a popular symbol for the impossible because no such creature had ever been seen, until black swans were discovered in Australia. The bird now symbolizes, that which seems impossible “But can in fact occur” I like the way one article puts it, “The black swan reminds us that believing something cannot happen is often just a failure of imagination."

There have been a lot of close calls that the general population is not aware of. In order to have zero probability that a nuclear war of some sorts will not happen and affect several countries, including our own, the formula would have to be;

Zero Nuclear weapons = 0 probability of a nuclear bomb being detonated in our country.

But that’s not the case, is it?

Same with guns.

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

I will write again. There can be a mass shooting every single day in America and nothing will change. You can't disarm 100+ million people with 270+ million guns. It is impossible. America not only has a large gun ownership population but has a huge land mass. It isn't a small country.

It is the same reason it isn't feasible to try and deport all the illegals in America. It is a number game. It is impossible to round up 12+ million people and deport them. If we can't do that, than we surely can't round up 270+ million guns. Keep in mind there is no digital national database of registered guns. I own several and there is absolutely no way to trace those guns to me, and I bought them legally.

I'm for gun laws and more gun controls, but I don't see them having any real impact. The only solution is the complete ban of guns, and that will not happen in America. Guns are part of our culture.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Whenever this happens, I'm always - strangely - reminded of Weird Al Yankovic's parody song "Canadian Idiot":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NTlHs0ZLLo

There's a line in there that says,

"...and they leave the house without packing heat, never even bring their guns to the mall.."

• carla
    carla

One thing almost all these mass shootings have in common is the psych drugs- doctors are the drug pushers today as well as the guys on the corner with the drugs.

http://www.psychdrugshooters.com/

• Illuminated
    Illuminated

done4good

It's not a matter of understanding numbers or theory. It's common sense.

A weapon can be found and used in many ways. It's the individual's state of mind behind the weapon.

If a psychopath is that deranged and has intentions of murder, you can guarantee they'll do what ever it takes.

Take the guns away, and we'll see other forms of mass murder. They'll just get more creative if the intent is there.

The root cause needs to be addressed, not the tool that is used.

• Vidiot

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit