What is the truth?

by sleepy 19 Replies latest jw friends

• sleepy
    sleepy

We spent so much time going on about "the truth" as witnesses , we thought we had the universe all sorted out .All those pillars of truth have now crumbled to dust.So what is "the truth"?

That is , what is the correct understanding of life the universe and everything?

How did the universe get here?What is conciousness and how does it work?Is there a why or just a how?

Does knowing the "truth" matter at all , in fact is it even possible and is there a universal truth about matters that aplies to everyone , or are things different for each person?

People often talk about facts "evolution is a fact, God is a fact".How sure can we be of these things?Everything we know about the universe has to first go through our sensory inputs and be interpreted by our brians.How trustworthy is this mechanism and do we use it properly?Can we even trust our own memories and minds ?Should we be following our emotions or our logic in working things out?

The more I look at it the further away any "truth" seems to be.I would love to know the truth, but if I had it I wonder, would I like it?

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

What is the truth?

Your born and you die and you spend every day in between trying to figure out why? When you think you know it, and think the answer is something you should be happy with. Something new comes up to make it all the more interesting.

In the end though, you have only two facts that can be proven. Your birth and your death!

My thought

Dragon

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Ain't that the truth.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I've figured it out. The purpose of life is life itself. What is the strongest motivation in all living things?

To create more life. The sexual drive sustains life in animals, humans, insects and every other living thing on earth. So we must live it while it's still ours.

Ken P.

• pomegranate
    pomegranate

Cause and affect

For every action there is an opposite and equal reaction

Relativity rules

Edited by - pomegranate on 14 October 2002 9:42:42

• TTBoy
    TTBoy

I hate hearing "evolution is a fact". It's not, it's a theory that has still to be proven. Gravity is a LAW. It's been mathmatically proven and until it's proven wrong, it's still a LAW. Evolution is neither a LAW or a FACT it is a theory. Unless there has been some new discovery that I'm unaware of it is still the THEORY of Evolution

A few defininations of theory:

1. The analysis of a set of facts in their relation to one another.

2. An ideal or hypothetical set of facts, principles, or circumstances.

3. A plausable or scientifically acceptable general principal.

4. A hypothesis assumed for the sake of argument or investigation.

5. An unproved assumption.

Sorry this was way off tract but this is a pet peeve of mine.

TT

• TweetieBird
    TweetieBird

I remember reading in one of Ray Franz' books that the appeal of JW's is that they seem to have all of the answers. Mankind has always wanted to know the answer to why we are here and JW's have everything planned out for them, life becomes a no-brainer.

But I have found it exhilarating to NOT know what is going to happen and to explore these things. I was raised a dub so I never had the chance to explore other religious beliefs. It has taken me a few years but I have finally found a settling inside myself and it has nothing to do with organized religion. I am over that!

• DJ
    DJ

Sleeeeeeeeepy,

You have to be kidding, right? Are you baiting again? Knock it off. dj

• mouthy
    mouthy

I know what MY truth is Whats yours??????To thine own self be true!!!!!

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I'll tell you what Truth is... in fact I will answer all of the questions you can't find the answers to. All you have to do is give me 10% of your income, devote your life to me, and just as soon as you're dead, I'll have someone tell you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit