"Were any of them Witnesses?"

by kenpodragon 25 Replies latest jw friends

• kenpodragon
    kenpodragon

It was a typical night at the local Kingdom Hall. People were coming in and visiting, looking for seats and laying down publications to mark where they would sit. People were shaking hands, and the conversation was mixed. This couple was talking about their new grandchild, this other was talking about an experience in field service and then another was speaking about a topic in the news. As I walked along, I entered into a group of men speaking about a major storm in the east. As we spoke, someone mentioned that over 500 people had died. I thought that was terrible, and was shocked with the next statement made by a man in the group, "were any of them Witnesses?"

That was it, wasn't it! No matter what happened in the world. Whether it was a earthquake in our own town or a land slide in India, we heard one thing each time, "were any of them Witnesses?" It was so common, that many times I never gave it a second thought. It was just normal! Did this show love of neighbor, like they mentioned all the time from the platform, or did it show a "limited love" for only those to whom we thought had God's favor?

In my life I have learned that life means something, not based on religion, but on the fact that everyone has a value. It does not matter what God they worship or what land they live in, it just matter that they breath and exist on this planet with us. They suffer the same whether their skin is black, white or reddish ... they cry the same tears whether they are doing them in the comfort of Buddha, Jehovah, Jesus or Spirit. In all, their heart beats and they breath the same air as me and you. It might sound so simple, but it can be a hard habit to break, what habit is that?

The habit of thinking in a group or click in this world. To think that a certain group has more value then others, or to think that you should have more empathy for a group then for another. I personally see some traits of this in me still, and I do my best to correct them when they surface. I want the world to know in my actions, that I am not some snob who feels a certain group deserves special treatment. I let them know this through my actions in my new life.

Now some may say, "but I do have a passion for certain causes, they are personal to me." I understand this, and it makes sense. I wonder though, are their limits in your passion based on a past life experience, or would it help to allow your eyes to get wider open to see what many other people could benefit from you compassion to help? Just a question we can ask ourselves, and answer on our own.

As I set their in the evening of my live and watched the news of the world events. It came to a story about 40 people killed in a country I have never been, with people I had never met, and I did not think "I wonder if they were this faith or this color." No, all I could think about was the pain they must have felt and the emptiness their families probably felt at their loss. No longer is my compassion and feelings tainted with the thought "Were they Witnesses!!" No, it is enlightened with the love that "I know they are human beings" that loved, lived and now they are no more.

A tear without judgment forms and falls from the heart that is no longer cold.

My thought

Dragon

• DJ
    DJ

Ken,

Yeah, if we would just remember the good samaritan story. Love is what matters. It's easy to love only those who love you. Dj

• kelsey007
    kelsey007

Well done dragon! I take note also that in the year of 9-11 some 20,000 people died in India. Great tragedy. But when the US lost some 3,000 no one carried a prayer or thought for the 20,000 humans, men, women and children lost in India. No it was not terrorism. But is it only for the lives of terrorist victims that we should mourn and memorialize? I am certain that the surviving loved ones of the 20,000 lost in India were just as traumatized as the WTC victims families regardless the cause of deaths. I am equally certain that no organizations made the survivers wealthy from donations as was done for the WTC victims. I never remember Bush getting up in front of the world and calling for all nations to support an effort to aid those victims and ensure that better construction of buildings, advanced warning systems be put in place and good escape routes be designed for these poor people. In fact since 9-11 I have yet heard one cry from any American christian of any denomination bemoan the loss of so many.

Just as with the millions of non-jw abuse victims.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Good point. I remember the news when iraq and iran were at war. They were literally massacring each other. Well, i thought, they are just dumb muslim arabs. A few years after that, i got to know some people from each country. They were descent people, just like others. Like you, i remind myself every day that every individual, even those i can't stand for some reson or another, has as much value on this planet as i do.

SS

• Funchback
    Funchback

ken...

I have had the same experience. It's so typical in dubdom.

My thinking began to change just over a year ago. I was working late one night and the Security Guard decided to come to my cubical area and talk to me. I was interested because I thought that I could give this guy a good "witness" (plus, I could increase my service time for the month...LOL!). He had studied under many different religion but never the Witnesses. The topic of 'who is your brother?' came up. In other words, who do you view as your spiritual brothers. He felt as though we're ALL brothers (regardless of race or religion). I disagreed. I said that my brothers are those that share my faith, that they are the ones I would lay down my life for. I even said that I would take a bullet for my brother before I would for someone who wasn't a JW. Not even two seconds went by before I realized how those words sounded. In my head, I began to think. I began to reason in my head that if I believe in the bible and if I believe in Jesus then I really should "take a bullet" for a non-JW before I should for a JW because Jesus gave his life for everyone. Plus, wouldn't it be a GREATER witness if I gave my life up for a non-believer? Wouldn't that have a major impact on that persons' life? I would have a resurrection AND I might potentially gain a brother. Anyway, long story short (too late)...

Nowadays, I view everyone as equal. No religion or race is superior to another. I try to be concerned with ALL who are affected by a tragedy.

• DeProgram
    DeProgram

I also entered the Kingdom Hall after three years of being away, It struck me that I didn't remember them as being such cold hearted SOB's The Brothers struck me as some kind of neo-nazi regeme ,as long as your doing exactly what they tell you your in. What did it for me was a brother I knew came up to me and made a remark to the affect that I was like a submarine just pop up every once in a while, I could feel my ears turning red and my bloodpressure rising, I laughed but got the feeling he really did despise me. I sat thru the meeting looking at everyone thru my new glasses, the ones you get after your away for a while and have several weeks of therapy under your belt, I was there to here if anything was being said about the child abuse issue or the march, nothing business as usual, during the part were they go over the bills of the cong. and were a little short on funds I snapped, 956.million and there a little short this month, It was a sign a found a piece of paper the size of a check and wrote on it "SILENT LAMBS" and dropped it in the world wide witnessing contribution box, this was my purpose for going anyway but it did confirm my conviction.

• blondie
    blondie

I was asked that once "Were any witnesses?" And I said, "Do you think it matters? People died and lost their loved ones. If they aren't witnesses, does that mean we shouldn't care or not as much?"

It is amazing the heartless comments some JWs make amongst their little group that they would never say around "worldly" family members, neighbors or co-workers because they know it would stumble those people.

"Out of the heart's abundance, the mouth speaks"

• nita6368
    nita6368

"By their love you will recognize them"

Ain't that the truth, the borg falls so short.

Excellent Post!!

• Scully
    Scully

DeProgram:

What did it for me was a brother I knew came up to me and made a remark to the affect that I was like a submarine just pop up every once in a while, I could feel my ears turning red and my bloodpressure rising, I laughed but got the feeling he really did despise me.

Don't stupid remarks like that just burn your butt??? LOL

Anyway, I would have said something back to him like "Yeah, and you're like the piece of dog turd on the lawn..... been there forever, ugly and smelly and nobody wants to touch it."

Love, Scully

• dsgal
    dsgal

I became like that myself when I was in the Borg,thinking only of the witnesses that were involved in a disaster,as if no one else mattered.But that's the way they brain-wash you to think.Thank God I finally opened my eyes and realized what an unchristian-like attitude that is.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit