JW Author Firpo Carr: What's His Agenda?

by Room 215 12 Replies latest jw friends

• TR
    TR

Ozzie,

Firpo Carr, Harpo Marx, Firpo Carr, Harpo Marx, Firpo Carr, Harpo Marx.

Crap. Which one isn't a Marx bro.? I'm confused.

TR

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Otis P Driftwood

Comforter:

• Jerry Bergman
    Jerry Bergman

Of interest:

Jehovah's Witnesses: The African American Enigma--A Contemporary Study (Vol. I)
    by Firpo W. Carr

List Price: $14.95
    Price: $14.95 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details.
    Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours Only 4 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).
    Edition: Paperback

See more product details

Product Details

• Paperback: 240 pages
    • Publisher: STIR Inc. (Scholar Technological Institute of Research, Inc.); ISBN: 0963129368; (June 2002)
    • Average Customer Review: 4.5 out of 5 stars Based on 2 reviews. Write a review.
    • Amazon.com Sales Rank: 889,070

Editorial Reviews Book Description
    More than any other religion in recent history, Jehovah's Witnesses have quietly and positively impacted the black community. Yet, some are concerned that the needs of African Americans, and Black Witnesses specifically, have been overlooked. Others argue that the predominantly white Governing Body is insensitive toward black plight.

This book deals squarely with these and other issues facing today's black Witnesses. Dr. Firpo W. Carr, an active Witness himself for over 35 years (and full-time minister for over 20 of those years), has traveled to black communities in major cities across the United States--from Harlem to Oakland--in an effort to carefully study and critique black Witnesses. The results have been discribed as "riveting."

Though the focus of his study was in the United States, he traveled to Cuba to study black Witnesses and their history on the Communist island. Fidel Castro elected to air Carr's 45-minute lecture on racism nationwide.

On both ends of the sociopolitical spectrum Carr's works have been widely accepted and admired. Legacy, "Africa's leading magazine on social issues," the original Black Panther Party, and many others have recognized and published Carr.

Customer Reviews Avg. Customer Review:
    Write an online review and share your thoughts with other customers.

4 out of 5 starsA Must Book for Every Witness and nonWitness to Read, August 27, 2002

Reviewer: A reader from Eastern USA
    Having read Firpo Carr's last book on Black Witnesses, I found his latest book better than I expected. Gone is the lashing out at "apostates" and in is reasoned discussions about real issues that concern the Watchtower today. Carr does criticize "apostates" in this book, yet he clearly has a number of disagreements with the Society and would technically therefore also be an apostate. I have never known a person who openly tried to change the Watchtower (and I have known many, including Ron Frye, Jim Penton, Don Nelson, Raymond Franz, Jerry Bergman, Barbara Anderson, Greg Stafford, Bill Bowen, and many others) that was able to stay. Sooner or later they all left due to pressure (or were forced out). Carr has argued, in my opinion effectively, for many needed changes in Watchtower policy including a more realistic stand on a number of issues facing Blacks in the Society. The Watchtower is the only White mainline church that the majority of members are minority (see Kosmin and Lachman One Nation Under God Harmony Books. NY). As Carr noted, one Black member on the governing body is progress, but to be truly representative of the Watchtower membership over half of the members should be minorities. Carr is advocating some fairly drastic changes in the Watchtower and, although he may be a rare exception and not end up being forced out, this will surely cause him problems. It is obvious that he has read much apostate literature, which alone could cause him problems. I wish him luck (sorry, good fortune). Also, his information on the Watchtower's connection with certain radical Black power groups and the radical Nation of Islam may upset some. The suggestion that Jesus was a Black man and other ideas may also not settle well with some.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit