Ozzie's Weekend Poll #19

by ozziepost 28 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

To mark this weekend's District Convention in Sydney, Australia, we are asked to cast our minds back in time and remember those District convention days with a certain nostalgia.

So, are you ready to begin that walk down memory lane? Settle back with a cuppa with me and reflect awhile.

The question is: (drumroll)

What did you do to keep awake in the afternoon sessions?

Choose from the following answers, or make up your own!

1. Drank coffee from a flask in my bag.
    2. Went out to Starbucks.
    3. Got the wife to pinch me.
    4. The kids kicked me.
    5. The attendant asked me to stop snoring.
    6. Counted sheep.
    7. Counted the number of times the speaker said the word "organisation".
    8. Didn't listen.
    9. Too busy talking.
    10. Checked out the talent through my binoculars.
    11. Gave the talk!
    12. I was the attendant.
    13. I was the attendant and went on a "Who's fast asleep?" patrol.
    14. Waited for the new release.
    15. So busy talking, forgot what the talk was.
    16. Looked around, wondering "Why?"
    17. Stayed home.
    18. Other.

Enjoy!

Cheers, Ozzie

Freedom means not having to wear a tie.

Edited by - ozziepost on 8 September 2002 2:58:30

• larc
    larc

No Starbucks in my day.. Too poor to have binaculars, but I had good eye sight, so I scoped out the chicks.

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

Well conventions were alright because one was allowed away from mummy and daddy and sat with ones buds. Which means we wandered around the grounds at will and largely avoided the sessions. And yes, we scoped out the chicks.

• Prisca
    Prisca

I used to:

1. Didn't listen.
    2. Looked around, wondering "Why?"
    3. Stayed home.
    4. Other - took notes to keep myself busy.

Actually, staying home is the option I now choose to do.

• joeshmoe
    joeshmoe

Larc, that's why you get your wise ass friend who's family has money to sit with you and bring his binoculars. Of course my parents were always monitoring so we could only scope the chicks sitting in the general line of vision of the speaker (how could my parents possibly think I wanted a better look at the speaker? Like I hadn't seen enough know it all elders?)...but we still found plenty of eye candy to keep our attention.

• LyinEyes
    LyinEyes

I didnt listen .

Doodled on my notepad.

Ate M&Ms ( green ones too)

Walked the corridors with the unruly children.

Walked the corridors looking for my hubby who was off chatting with his bud about how crappy the assemblys/ conventions were.

Talked in the corridors.

Ignored the signs , to please take a seat............

Left at lunch time and took kids back to motel for a swim, and drug my hind in as late as possible, for the afternoon session.

At least the drama was something to laugh at.

• Vivamus
    Vivamus

Checked out good looking brothers

Checked out, and disapproved of, the short skirts of some of the sisters

Went to the restroom, A LOT

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy
    Other.

LOL

I was hardly EVER in my seat. I would always meet up with a few friends and we would just run around town or hang out in the parking lot.

When I was got older I would sketch. People always thought I was busy taking notes. But I sketched a LOT.

I did however take notes on occasion.

Edited by - plmkrzy on 8 September 2002 4:3:50

• Englishman
    Englishman

...er looked at the pretty women?

There were pretty women around then too, all stilletto heeled girly types.

Englishman.

• Max Divergent
    Max Divergent

An evolutionary process for me... The first 15 years were a combo of sleeping and playing on the floor or drawing on my program, then from ages ~16 to 26 I became the hardest working Attendant ever! But in summary, then I:

1. Didn't listen.
    2. Checked out the talent through my binoculars close up while...
    3. ...I was the attendant.
    4. Looked around, wondering "Why?"

If I couldn't get an official job and got kicked out the Attendents Office where I'd sit minding my own business for hours on end, I'd go on my 'Independent Corridor Patrol' using my attendent badge to do whatever I liked! Often I'd find a scaly mate who was on duty and 'consult' with them over the disgracfully immodest nature of the sisters garments in recent years or (in the absense of fluff) the general stupidness of the people thereabouts (arrogent prick I was). In later times I just hid.

If all that failed or my legs got a bit tired I'd go back to whomever I was sitting with (wife, family etc) to their consoling looks and urgings to not 'work so hard, there are others who can help...'. Well, nothing else could help me get the hell away from listening to the program or sitting in those damned chairs, so I had to acknoledge the burden of service was great!

Now, it's definatly: 'Stay at home'.

I'd be curious to go to one again sometime in the future just to see it all from a different perspective, but I'll have to cultivate a non-JW look first so I can do whatever I please without being subject to being growled at by all the bored Attenedants just looking for somthing to lift the tedium of trying to look busy for three days...

I could also probably bemuse myself by getting followed by the Security Brothers, the secret intellegence division of the Attendents Department that conducted (not so) covert survailence on potential 'troublemakers' at the convention. Now I can be the quarry!!!

Cheers, Max

Edited by - Max Divergent on 8 September 2002 4:20:32

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit