JW can refuse DNA test

by Crystal 13 Replies latest jw friends

• ISP
    ISP

I'd be wary of giving DNA...I would give it to an independant body or my own expert but to just hand it over...? I don't think so.

ISP

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

I am a big L&O fan and have seen that episode twice. The context of the dialog was not that he was a jw, only that he did not want a dna test. The officer then said that when an individual claims a religious objection they must discontinue the exam.

• Dawn
    Dawn

They can refuse a DNA test - however, the court can ORDER it done and then it's out of the person's hands. They must provide the DNA sample, or be arrested in which case the sample is then taken in jail.

I work in the legal field and we actually had a case similar to this (drunk driving - not rape). Our Prosecutor asked me if JW's really don't give blood - I laughed so hard - I guess it's ok to drive drunk but DON'T YOU DARE give your blood for a blood test. I set him straight that giving blood for medical & testing purposes is NOT against the religion and offered to provide proof from their literature. Fortunately it didn't get that far - the Judge saw right through his lame excuse and charged him with a DWI.

We had another case of a newborn baby that needed blood. The JW parents refused - we took it to court for a court order and won. I guess our judges here aren't much of JW fans

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

I have heard of persons trying to use this defense. In some cases, they weren't even JW's. They just thought they could get out of providing incriminating evidence.

I have never heard of a court actually allowing this. It's a pretty transparent ruse.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit