JW can refuse DNA test

by Crystal 13 Replies latest jw friends

• Crystal
    Crystal

A friend of mine told me she saw on "Law and Order" (television program) that a Jehovah Witness refused a DNA test.He was accused of rape.The court said that since it was against his religion that they could not test him.Have any of you ever heard of this??

• outnfree
    outnfree

This would be an error. JW's are NOT prohibited from having blood drawn for medical tests. They are prohibited from DONATING blood to be used as a preserver of life.

out

Edited to say: Of course, if they wanted to test his sperm, a case could probably be made that masturbation is prohibited.

Edited by - outnfree on 7 September 2002 13:52:37

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I can't imagine that is correct.

Probably the thinking was that a JW cannot give blood - but JWs give blood for clinical testing without protest if it is for a medical diagnosis, don't they?

Are there no Dub diabetics who take finger prick blood samples every day?

Besides that, DNA can be obtained from a mouth swab (the interior of the mouth sheds epithelial cells all the time) or from other body samples - skin scrapings, even a urine sample has epithelial cells from the bladder.

TV isn't real life, I guess.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Outnfree said, "Edited to say: Of course, if they wanted to test his sperm, a case could probably be made that masturbation is prohibited."

On the other hand, he could claim that he masturbated under protest and that he derived no sensual gratification from it.

• outoftheorg
    outoftheorg

But if he masterbated under protest, did he scream or not screan.

Therein lies the rub.

• Crystal
    Crystal

She said they wanted to do a swab test from his mouth ..no blood involved.Just was wondering if anyone heard if this is a new JW rule...to keep Pedophile Paradise alive and thriving.

Edited by - Crystal on 7 September 2002 14:8:48

• rocky220
    rocky220

give to Ceasar what is Ceasar's and to God what is to God.....when it comes to violation of a sexual nature.....be it rape or be it pedophilia......no one but no one is above the Law.....both sides are in agreement with this principle.....TV is fantasy.....but it seems that someone in involved with this show is trying to bring some negative attention to the Borg....guess what, they earned it!!!!!! rocky220-

• LuckyLucy
    LuckyLucy

I heard that this show was based on actual court cases.

• ErieGuy
    ErieGuy

There is a actual criminal case in which the defendant claimed to be a JW, and then further claimed that providing a blood sample was against JW teachings.

However, a JW Elder testified against him; that there was no such prohibition.

• SYN
    SYN

Can you be DNA tested against your will? That seems very unreasonable to me!

What I meant was, it's unreasonable for someone to refuse! I mean, if you're innocent, what have you got to worry about?

Edited by - SYN on 7 September 2002 15:33:42

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit