"Free" Home Bible Studies

by Farkel 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LDH
    LDH

LOL @ Farkel.

RE: your "head" comment...my first thought was, "I can dream, can't I?"

Regarding the "free" home bible study.....I have it on good authority that those 'free' bibles the Gideons place in hotels aren't really 'free.' They get a cut of the night's stay.

• Sentinel
    Sentinel

Hi Farkel,

You are so correct. A couple months back I saw this ad on TV from the Mormons. It said that they would send out a free copy of their Mormon Book to anyone who asked and they gave the phone number. They specified there would be absolutely no obligation.

Because I had not actually read their rendition, I was curious. (Believe me, it is just a reading exercise--a quest to understand some of the worlds larger religions.) I called the number and this sweet young girl answered. She wanted to know why I called and I briefly told her. She asked for my religious background, so I told her. JW's really perked her curiosity. She said she had been "born" a Mormon and has known nothing else her entire life. But, that she was very happy in her little Mormon cacoon. I simply took the opportunity and explained to her that she owed it to herself to be on the "outside" for awhile, so she could "look from another perspective".

Well, bottom line, she asked me if I wanted the book mailed or delivered in person. I was very adamate that it be mailed. Done deal. I waited, and I waited for the book to arrive. On two different occasions, two smartly dressed young Mormans showed up at our front door, and on those two occasions, I did not answer the door. After waiting another week or so, someone from their organization called me and said they had been trying to deliver the book but no one was at home.

I explained that I did not wish to have a conversation with a Mormon, just wanted their FREE book. If they couldn't do as their ad said, then they were misrepresenting themselves. I was assured that this was "just a mistake". Two weeks later, I finally got the copy in the mail.

Religions are very costly. They take your mind, your money, your offspring and your soul. If that's FREE, then I'm damaged more than I thought.

Sentinel/Karen

• concerned mama
    concerned mama

Sentinal
    We had a similar experience on our family road trip this summer. 
    We stopped at Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah to see the propaganda, and I wanted a 
    book of Mormon to figure out what on earth they believed 
    (that Christ came to South America immediately after his resurrection,
     and a whole Christian civilization occurred). I wanted to flip through it in the car, 
    sort of one of our souvenirs. lol In any case, they had none to give me at headquarters there, 
    so some nice clean cut Mormon missionaries, (Elder so and so and Elder such and such)
     arrived on our door within 24 hours of us arriving home, to deliver 2 copies. 
    We chatted for a while, and I found the anti-cult training I have received on this website 
    extremely valuable in hearing what they were REALLY avoiding saying. 
    I couldn't be rude to them. Actually I fed them ice cream and worried about them biking home in 
    a thunder storm...I think the Mom in me popped out.
    They really do mean well, but the obvious mind control is very scary. 
    I am going to have to be firmer that we really aren't interested. They have arrived back on 
    our door with "higher ups" so they must have thought we were definite prospects NO WAY!!!

When I was a teen, kids would put other kid's name's on the visitor's book in a Mormon Temple 
    in the small city South of us, knowing that their families would be pestered by 
    Mormon Missionaries for months after that. It was considered to be a great joke.

Oh, and no one ever asked for or even mentioned money. I think they hoped to recoup 
    their investment later with tithing.

editted because the whole thing went weird.

Edited by - concerned mama on 7 September 2002 12:26:42

• gumby
    gumby

"Free trial offer"!

You don't have to pay until your a member. Then....get out your pocket book.

You'll need a 4 door car, a bookbag, literature, gas in your car 10hrs. a month of your time, 5 meetings to prepare and attend, Convention money, contribution money, suits, and other stuff.

However....this is a small price to pay for Everlasting Life!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

In a free market, value determines price.

This is a case of the free market working.

• sableindian
    sableindian

Bravo! Keep it coming. Love to think!

Happiness comes through doors you
    didn't even know you left open
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_:-.,_,.-:**:-.,_,.
    Qelilah Solomon
    *:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_,.-:*'``'*:-.,_:-.,_,.-:**:-.,_,.

• Darkhorse
    Darkhorse

Oh yes, the "free" home bible study. Yes, each year my hubby and I receive in the mail a "handwritten invitation" from the KH down the street from us (about 7 miles) - we are not JW's. We get invited to the Sunday Service annnnnnd to have a "free bible study".
    Wow!!!!!

Nothing is every free that is for sure, and I can tell from reading all you ex-JW's and thinking about leaving JW's posts that the "free bible study" cost you a lot.

We did not get an invite or an offer from the KH this year - guess it is because my hubbie and I never took them up on the offer and they probably got tired of wasting the postage on us. The JW's do not go door-to-door in our town - they are required to get peddlar's liscenses.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit