"Free" Home Bible Studies

by Farkel 16 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

This phrase has been part of the Watchtower landscape since I can remember, so that spans a half-century. Dubs say it like it really MEANS something SPECIAL.

Ever know any other Christian faith that actually CHARGED for home Bible studies? Ever know any other Christian faith that charged for BOOKS for that FREE Home Bible Study(tm)?

Thought not.

Neither do I.

Farkel

• TR
    TR

Good points. As if there are entreprenuereal personal bible study sales people going door to door. LOL!

TR

• larc
    larc

yeh but our bible studies are freer than other free bible studies, because, well, that's just the way it is. it is all bible based.

using lower case, because I can't prove a thing.

• Dazed
    Dazed

When I was 16 (1986) I went to a Babtist tent revival. It was a very moving experience at that time of my life. Even though now I understand that due to the experiences I had up to that point and where I was living at the time, what I was told was "being filled with the holy spirit" was actually being overcome with guilt and a desire to be loved by someone, especially someone like God. Anyway, the person responsible for getting me involved in that particular event was a Baptist minister, a musician, who knew I had a fondness for music (Dead Kennedy's and Black Flag, but hey, it WAS music) and invited me in.

Afterwards, I was offered the opportunity to have 1 on 1 study with him, provided my parents could contribute nominal "donations" to the church. I wasn't even living with my parents, and I explained that to him. He said if my situation changed where I could make "contributions" to the church, he would be happy to help me along in my study of Jesus.

So, whether or not ALL churches "charge" for salvation, some do. Even the ones that still use Mosaic Law to require tithes. Try getting Jim Baker to give you a personal healing for free. (that was a joke)

Dazed...and thoroughly confused.

• Farkel
    Farkel

: a musician, who knew I had a fondness for music (Dead Kennedy's and Black Flag, but hey, it WAS music)

Nah, it isn't! Noise ain't music.

Farkel
    Real Music Class

• Dazed
    Dazed

Ah, beautiful, semantics and asthetics again...totally beside the point, but....

I have a VERY eclectic taste in music, and a little schooling, so to be precise, punk rock IS music. They use musical instruments and they (attempt to) play chords. Hence, music. If you don't like their music, your loss. But it's still music. Unfortunately, by my own argument, this also means that Twisted Sister played music, and believe me, that pains me.

Seriously though, his first question when he saw me, ripped plaid pants and Doc Martin's and pierced everything, he said "Do you like music". I said "f@$# yeah, black flag, dead kennedy's, the pistols and s#@t".

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

I bought Jim Bakker's book when he got out of prison:

Do you think we'll ever see such a book with Jaracz's head on the cover? LOL

• Farkel
    Farkel

: Do you think we'll ever see such a book with Jaracz's head on the cover?

Only if it's severed first.

Farkel

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

Ironic that a "free" home Bible study will lead to bondage!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Only if it's severed first.

LOL Fark. I thought someone might come back with the "On a pole will do" line.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit