Could this happen to you?

by adjusted knowledge 11 Replies latest jw friends

• adjusted knowledge
    adjusted knowledge

There was a JW who was a born in and faded about 10 years ago near a congregation I attended. He never married or had children and was in his late 30's. His parents shun him for the most part but then he had a major stroke. His parents are now his care providers, and they take him to meetings. He has had memory issues but is slowing making progress.

I also knew of a sister that was DF and was in a major car accident many years ago, and same thing happened to her. Her parents became guardian and got her reinstated and is now attending meetings. But she is not the same person and has a limited mental capacity.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW
    Well, your question could this happen to you? Of course, I'm sure out of all the folks that woke up this morning, some of them find themselves in some kind of medical emergency, regardless of what religion their family adheres to.
  • berrygerry
    berrygerry

But she is not the same person and has a limited mental capacity.

(Or critical thinking capacity.)

The necessary quality to become and remain a Dub.

• Gulf Coaster
    Gulf Coaster
    Sounds like a living hell. Trapped inside malfunctioning bodies & minds and being dragged back to the KH! Torture. They don't have much choice. Their parents are their caregivers and they are JWs. I'd probably want to find a way to top myself if that were me.
  • a watcher
    a watcher

Kudos to the parents for bringing their disabled children back into their homes, and not disowning them.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle

Same thing can happen in reverse...

Your JW believing parent becomes incapacitated and you become their guardian/ caretaker. Do you provide a telephone hookup for their meetings or take them to the KH?

What is your point?

• compound complex
    compound complex

Hi Rip:

I have had to deal with this when incapacitated. It sure creates a disturbing scenario.

Hard even to discuss . . .

CC

• rebel8
    rebel8
    2 words: advanced directives
  • problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

I am glad the parents took care of their children. While of sound mind they felt differently, but if the price for being in your 30's and having your aging parents care for you round the clock is some drool time at meetings......small price to pay for such help.

• fiddler
    fiddler

I have had this thought about myself. What if I had a stroke or dementia and somehow all I knew was stuff from my past? Yes, I think Advance Directive is the key. Isn't it funny how to go back would involve mental incapacity?

Actually, no...it isn't funny if it is me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit