Ran into some JW's.......but this time I did the teaching ;) x

by snare&racket 28 Replies latest jw friends

• disposable hero of hypocrisy
    disposable hero of hypocrisy
    Stuff the regular routine, you need to hand in your application to be a regular anti pioneer!
  • 1rebelheart
    1rebelheart

I begin to think that we ought to measure JW intelligence by this formula:

Number of years In - 20 = Level of Intelligence

Higher is better. I take 20 to allow for adolescent confusion.

• mimimimi
    mimimimi
    Good for you! I'm glad that lady listened to you - who knows what seeds it may have planted and how they may come back to grow even with her staying in that mind control cult. And her husband with his 40 years . . . laughable how they measure their own self-importance by how many years they have been in the cult. I remember a convert in my last congregation being irritated by the attitude of born-ins - definitely some one-upmanship there on the part of the born-ins. Little do they know that they are all just a joke.
  • umbertoecho
    umbertoecho

Congratulations!!! So well written. I like it when people really express themselves well. (I love story's and experiences like this) It makes me feel more or less normal. Ha!

Your comments about the elder caught my eye as you said............" He wasn't used to being treated as an equal and didn't like defending his silly answers. He must have said '40' years five times, like that means anything,"

My particular Elder really struggled with his feelings of "outrage", as I sat easily on the floor of my apartment and asked how they came by so many doctrines, parallel prophecies, ...........you name it. When I jumped up and showed him my Revelation Study book. He just dismissed it as no longer valid and told me it was now defunct. (not his words but the gist of it) He told me to throw it away as it was not important to understand this book anymore. I told him........"..just as well, because it's so badly written that it would never make it to the first rung of the ladder in "publisherland"

His wife looked aghast, nervous, very subordinate.........all of the above and more.

He took my comment very personally, it seems that I was not entitled to make observations............ challenge his sense of importance as an elder. He was angry. Really. He had trouble holding back from telling me off.

His position has given him a sense of self worth that supplants any potential for thorough research, both secular and religious. I swear to god, he was so ready to put me in my 59 year old place.

I felt sorry for his wife and wondered if we should both have head covering and remain physically lower than him, so as to show our submissiveness. He was bloody arrogant. He still wants to come back though..........with his wife of course

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

Umbertoecho - That tells you something right there if you mention one of their publications and you're told it's no longer relevant. I would've said to that elder, "the Bible hasn't changed, right", to which he would've obviously agreed, then I would've said so how does a publication from the religion that claims to be the only true religion on earth become no longer relevant? There's no way you would've gotten a straight answer to that.

Matter of fact, I'm going to use that the next time I feel like messing with those folks with the carts in he subway station.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

The sentence that keeps running through my mind, is him saying to me that truth is what's right for that person, and if you are happy your truth is right for you. This drove me bananas inside, but I was logically defending that what is true .......is simply true.... and can't ever be proven or shown to be false. I said that I will gladly admit that I may be happy as an exJW..... but wrong. He said it was impossible for them to be wrong because of how happy they were and that was enough for him that it was true!

I got out that I had very numerous Muslim friends that were happy and was about to say that gay's are often ecstatic......(thank you religioulous) and that happiness was subjective and had nothing at all to do with truth.... But this was the point that led him to raise his white flag and go sit in his car. It was a hot day and I didn't envy him. He certainly didn't appear happy to me!

p.s. We went back to the promenade , today I got up the step to the pub..... See, perseverance can see you overcome even the devils work.

• Magwitch
    Magwitch
    Loved reading this! Thank you so much snare&racket.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

snare&racket - "He said it was impossible for them to be wrong because of how happy they were and that was enough for him that it was true!"

For some reason, I'm reminded me of this:

xx

• KateWild
    KateWild
    But this was the point that led him to raise his white flag and go sit in his car. It was a hot day and I didn't envy him. He certainly didn't appear happy to me! - Snare

Lol hahaha.

He would have been mulling it over and then they both would have been talking about the conversation just like we are, you struck a chord and now it's upto them to either be honest with themselves or follow blindly. You snapped me out of it, I am sure you will snap others out of it too.

But I still believe in a creator lol wink wink

Kate xx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit